As fall approaches and many are getting ready to go hunting, think of giving this recipe a try.
- 4 Large persimmons
- 2 Tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 Pound ground venison
- 1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- ½ cup pecans chopped into about ¼ inch pieces
- 2 Cloves garlic pressed
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. pecan pieces for topping
- 4 Tsp. soft goat cheese (Chevre)
- Cut persimmons about 1/3 way down from the top (the stem is at the bottom), scoop and cut out the inside of the fruit keeping the skin intact. Put skins aside.
- Dice the removed persimmon fruit removing all cores and seeds. Sauté the onions and persimmon fruit until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes or until the dry woodiness is gone when tasted. Add ground venison and brown.
- Add mushrooms, pecans and garlic until just cooked through.
- Add red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the persimmon skins on an oven dish that has been sprayed with canola oil.
- Scoop the stuffing mixture in to each skin and pack down lightly.
- Preheat oven to 350F and bake the stuffed skins for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and add 1 Tsp. goat cheese to each top, then sprinkle with pecan pieces.
- Put back in the oven for 5 minutes until cheese melts and serve.