Summertime is the perfect time for grilling burgers! Surprise your friends next time you bbq with my Ahi smash burger. Glaze it with some teriyaki sauce and serve on a toasted bun with my Asian style pickles. If you’ve ever made a smash burger you know that you will need a cast-iron flat top or pan to achieve the trademark craggly crunchy bits.
I guarantee that you will wow your friends with your culinary prowess when you present my Teri-Ahi Smash Burger.
- A cast-iron pan or flat top.
- A large slab of ahi (about 3 cups worth of meat)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. onion powder
- 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- Cooking oil with a high smoke point. (I used canola)
- Tomato sliced
- Avocado sliced
- Hamburger buns
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Sliced cucumber (use Japanese cucumbers, Persian, or English with the seeds removed)
- 2 cups of coleslaw veggies ( to save time buy the bag of precut cabbage coleslaw mix)
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup sugar/honey
- Place cucumber and coleslaw veggies into a bowl and heavily salt mixture.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before you drain and rinse with water to remove the salt.
- Squeeze out excess water and add vinegar and sugar to the bowl and combine before adding veggies inside and tossing in dressing. Set aside and let pickle in the fridge.
- Dice up ahi into small pieces think ground beef, don’t worry if there are some chunks left in the mix.
- Add egg, onion powder, garlic powder and mix well with your ahi in a large bowl.
- Heat castiron on high
- Once your pan is hot, add a generous amount of oil to the pan.
- Using your hand grab handful (about 1 cup) of ahi mixture and roll into a ball-like shape before placing onto the pan.
- Take a spatula and immediately smash down mixture against the pan. (do your best to keep the shape in a pattie form)
- Add salt and pepper to the cooking burger. Leave the pattie alone until crust forms on one side then carefully flip over and gently smash down, season with salt and pepper.
- Once both sides are cooked remove from pan and brush with Teriyaki sauce/glaze.
- Toast your hamburger buns before adding pickled veggies (drain liquid by gently squeezing mixture) and tomato.
- Top with your glazed fish-patty and an avocado.
- Feel free to add mayo or any other burger fixings.