This is an extremely easy way to cook fish and was great with sides of roasted potatoes and salad.
Serves up to 8
- 1 each 5-pound vermillion rock cod, gills and guts removed, scaled & scored 4 times
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 1 Onion, peeled, sliced
- 1 Orange, sliced
- Fresh thyme, rinsed free from dirt
- Fresh rosemary, rinsed free from dirt
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled & smashed
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. your favorite seasoning mix-I used a predominantly fresh cracked pepper mix
- Pre heat your oven to 400F.
- Scale and prepare your fish and rinse well to remove all scales. Take your time and I prefer to remove all fins to avoid getting stuck. Score each side 4 times.
- Create a “bed” of sliced Onions, Lemons and Oranges on the bottom of your pan.
- Place the fish on top and then drizzle with Olive Oil and spread it into the inner cavity, head and scored sections.
- Next pour on the Seasoning Mix inside the cavity, on all scored sections and the entire fish.
- Finish by placing the remaining sliced Onions, Lemons and Oranges.
- Finish by filling the inner cavity with the fresh Herbs and crushed Garlic.
- Add the White Wine, cover with aluminum foil and then roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and allow the fish to roast for 15-20 more minutes.
- Using an electronic thermometer, take a reading from the thickest head section ensuring that you get a reading of 140-145.
- Remove the fish and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Place the fish on a nice serving platter and strain off the natural pan jus to serve on the side.
- Serve with your favorite side dishes & simply serve with the Pan Jus, Kikkoman Lime Ponzu, Thai Chili Sauce or whatever you like.