Asian Shishito Pepper Salad
This recipe is easy to do except the preparation takes some time, however, it is a great combination of mildly spicy shishito peppers, sweet grilled pineapple, creamy avocadoes and the Sweet & Sour marinade used from the Asian Albacore recipe you will find on the BD Recipe Column. If you don’t want to go through the trouble of the Asian Tuna recipe, then simply grill your fillets and gently pull them apart for this salad.
The fried Shishito Peppers alone are great and slightly spicy if you like that kind of thing and would go great with buffalo wings too if you’re in the mood.
- 24 each Shishito peppers (you can find these in most Asian specialty stores)
- 1 cup canola oil for frying
- 2-pound Asian albacore/or any other MR grilled tuna
- 2 Each avocado, cleaned from the shell, sliced sideways into large chunks
- ½ Ripe golden pineapple. Core removed, sliced, lengthwise & grilled, set aside.
- 6 Each red grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 Each yellow grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup pickled ginger & liquid, chopped
- 8 Each large leaves purple basil
- Micro Greens or any kind of sprouts/chives for garnish
Ok, everything is ready to go with exception of the peppers which need to be fried, so all you need to do is assemble & serve. You can always assemble in advance and store, covered in your refrigerator. Use a long plate if you have it to present a long, thin, composed presentation.
- Heat 1 Cup of Canola Oil in a large saute pan and add the Shishito Peppers. You will want to pan fry them while often turning until they are nicely browned and thoroughly fried which will take about 5 minutes if you start with medium-high heated oil.
- Place the peppers on paper towels to drain. Cut the peppers in ½ in pieces including the seeds as they are not hotter than the rest of the pepper.
- Line up your serving plates and place half of the chopped peppers in a straight line.
- Next, take the chunks of Albacore/Tuna and place on top and around the peppers making sure you are keeping a straight line.
- Next, place the large chunks of Avocado and follow the line you are now building your salad on.
- Next place some chopped Pickled Ginger on your salad and also place the half sections of Red and Yellow Grape Tomatoes.
- Next, you will want to cut your Pineapple in 1-inch “slabs” and place on your nice salad in random areas. It is better to spread out your colors, products, and flavors to have the best visual outcome.
- Now you will want to scatter some chopped Purple Basil on top of your salads as well as some Micro Greens, Chives, or Sprouts.
- The last step is to take either your favorite Asian dressing or the Asian Albacore Salad Liquid and drizzle it on top of the salad.
This salad is great because it provides Heat, Creaminess, Crunch, Sweetness & Sour and is a great combination of ingredients.