With all of the tuna being caught, here is a great recipe for making spicy tuna rolls from your fresh fish. It’s a simple recipe brought to us from Collaboration Kitchen.
Makes 4 rolls (24 pieces)
Spicy Tuna Roll
- 4 cups of sushi rice
- 4 sheets nori (dried seaweed)
- ½ pound fresh tuna
- ¼ Tsp. Rayo (hot sesame oil)
- 1 Japanese cucumber, cut into thin sticks
- 2 Burdock root, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 Avocado, peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin slices
- 1 ounce (1/4 cup) Masago
- 2 ounce Micro wasabi
- Pickled ginger and Soy sauce
Makes approximately 4 cups
- 2 cups sushi or short grain rice
- 2 cups water, plus extra for rinsing rice
- 1 (2-inch piece) Kombu (seaweed), rinsed and wiped of extra salt
- 1 Tbsp. sake
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ Tsp. Salt
Spicy Tuna Roll
- Chop tuna into small pieces. Pour Rayo over the tuna and gently stir to combine.
- Cover a bamboo rolling mat with plastic wrap. Cut a 3-inch wide strip off of a sheet of nori. Lay nori, shiny side down, on the plastic-covered mat.
- Wet your fingers with water and spread 1 cup of rice evenly onto the nori sheet.
- Pick up the sheet of nori and place it back onto the mat rice-side down.
- Place burdock root down the length of the nori, top with cucumber and tuna.
- Grab the edge of the mat closest to you, keeping the fillings in place with your fingers, and roll it into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the cylinder.
- Pull away the mat and place the roll onto a damp clean surface.
- Decorate the top of the roll with alternating sliced avocado and masago.
- Repeat until all 4 rolls are made.
- Cut each roll into 6 pieces.
- Serve with pickled ginger, wasabi microgreens, and soy sauce.
Sushi Rice Prep
- Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Swirl the rice in the water, pour off, and repeat 2 to 3 times or until the water is clear.
- Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, uncovered. Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a small bowl and heat in the microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds. Transfer the rice into a large wooden or glass mixing bowl and add the vinegar mixture. Fold thoroughly to combine and coat each grain of rice with the mixture. Allow cooling to room temperature before using to make sushi or sashimi.