Collaboration Kitchen‘s Chef Jenn Felmley shares this Spice Crusted Seared Yellowtail which I thought would be fitting since they are biting. Give it a try.
Spice Crusted Yellowtail with Seaweed Salad Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 (14-ounce) yellowtail loin
- ¼ cup grape seed oil
- 2 Tbsp. peeled and micro planed ginger
- 4 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- ¼ Tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1½ Tsp. black pepper corn
- 1 Tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Star anise, smashed
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 cups Wakame seaweed salad
- Trim the bloodline off of the yellowtail and cut the loins into rectangles 4-5 inches long; trimming off narrow ends.
- In a large bowl whisk together grape seed oil and ginger. Add yellowtail loin and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Place coriander, red pepper flake, black pepper corns, garlic powder and smashed star anise into a coffee grinder or spice grinder. Grind into a fine powder and season with salt to taste. Sprinkle the seasoning all over the yellowtail loins; completely covering all sides of the fish.
- In a hot non-stick skillet, sear the fish on all sides (about 2 to 3 minutes per side). When the spices have turned golden brown on all sides, remove the fish from the pan. Place fish onto a cookie sheet and let it cool at room temperature. When cooled completely place into the freezer for 15 minutes; or until fish is just frozen but not frozen solid. When the fish is firm enough, cut into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Place a bed of seaweed salad onto a plate and top with five or six slices of the sliced tuna, slightly overlapping, and all facing the same direction.