We have been fortunate to have an abundance of sea trout on the inshore grass flats recently. Sea trout has turned out to be a very versatile food fish; its firm white filets lend themselves to many recipes including ceviche.
Here is a simple basic recipe that tastes great, but also lends itself to your own creativity; a pinch of curry, more heat, or additional seafood such as fresh shrimp could be added, the possibilities are endless.
Ingredients: Sea Trout and Nectarine Ceviche Recipe
- Fresh lime juice of 6 limes, seeds strained out
- 1 Large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Large nectarines, seeds removed, skin on, thinly sliced
- 1 pound of fresh sea trout cut into one-inch cubes (bones & skin removed)
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground sea salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
Squeeze the limes and place in a large Mason jar or container that has a good lid.
Add all other ingredients and stir well.
Place the lid on tightly and shake well.
Refrigerate over night shaking several times.
The ceviche will be ready the following day.
Once you taste it, re-season to your own taste.
We like to drain it and put it on whole-wheat crackers with a little hot sauce for a picnic or just enjoy it as a starter or light lunch.
“I feel like I’m on the beach when I eat this”, one of my staff commented when he tasted its refreshing flavors!