Squid goes extremely well with either sweet or spicy Italian sausage. In this recipe, you stuff the hollow body of the squid with the sausage meat and serve it up with some red sauce.
- 12 Calamari tubes (the mantle portion of the squid) cleaned with cartilage removed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Cloves chopped garlic
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of your favorite tomato sauce
- 8 Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces raw Italian sausage link, skin removed
- 1 Tbsp. flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 Large eggs
- Sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- Chop off any tentacles that may be left over or attached to the hollow tubes. Dices the tentacles and set aside. Heat half of the olive oil in a sauté pan then add the Italian sausage meat, any chopped tentacles, garlic and shallots. Sauté for 5 minutes. When the sausage is fully cooked, add the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Mix well and then let rest on the counter for 15 minutes.
- Add the parsley and taste for seasoning. Then add the two eggs and then let the mixture cool in the refrigerator.
- When the stuffing is cool, use a spoon to fill each calamari tube and then weave a toothpick across the opening of the squid to keep the stuffing in the cavity while cooking.
- Heat up the tomato sauce and add the chopped basil, and set it on the side.
- Take the remaining olive oil and heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the squid. Turn the squid when browned and cook on the other side. Pour the sauce over the squid, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat, spoon some sauce on a plate and arrange the squid on top of the sauce to make a nice serving plate.
Sausage Stuffed Calamari Recipe