Captain Rick Murphy of Sportsman’s Adventures hosted a trip October 26-30th of Casa Vieja Lodge Rookies from the likes of CCA Texas, CCA Florida, and Building Conservation Trust (CCA’s National Habitat Program). With Tropical Storm Selma lurking on the pacific, it made for not so ideal conditions, but that didn’t stop these tried and true fisherman. Capt. Rick Murphy managed to catch his personal best dorado estimated at 45-50lbs. In fact, the team managed 31 dorados in 3 days, the smallest at 25lbs.
On day two, while the crew was trolling cedar plugs on the hunt for tuna, what they thought was a downpour from Tropical Storm Selma was in fact a school of about 500 yellowfin tunas chasing little red rudderfish about 20ft below the surface in a mass feeding frenzy. With all this good fishing Capt Rick and friends managed to supply dinner for Casa Vieja Lodge with these pelagics!
Oh and the billfishing you ask, well in 3 days fishing on 5 boats they totaled 390 raises, 294 bites, 163 sailfish releases, and 2 blue marlin releases. In conclusion, everyone decided this would now become an annual trip!
Wanderlusters please meet Waterlust
Many of us are familiar with the term wanderlust, as many of our clients are consumed with the desire to travel. Wanderlust please meet Waterlust: a desire to constantly be in or near water.
Waterlust, a purpose driven brand that creates media to inspire scientific curiosity and an adventurous spirit, and creates sustainable products to support marine science research and education. In partnership with The Billfish Foundation, the team from Waterlust visited Casa Vieja Lodge for a 3-day fishing trip. “Waterlust approached me [The Billfish Foundation] seeking a location for a close-up picture of a sailfish. I told them hands down, Casa Vieja Lodge,” said Peter Chaibongsai, Director of Conservation Programs.
“The Billfish Foundation, accompanied by Fly Navarro, introduced the Waterlust team to the epic hospitality and billfish bite Guatemala has to offer, all the unique colors billfish create and to gather new footage for various projects like how to tag, release, revive and report billfish, said Peter.” A unique aspect of Waterlust is they use the detail and colors of the species captured in photos and replicate it on their products.
The second voyage of the Release this season, and the team had 56 raises, 44 bites, and released 31 sailfish, and released 2 blue marlin. That made for ample opportunities for sailfish selfies!
The Casa Vieja Lodge Fleet has been putting up some impressive numbers and its only week three of the season. If these numbers hold up we’ll be competing with the like of the 2016 season and we’re defintiely going to need more ballyhoo! We ended our 2016 fishing season with an outstanding 28,051 raises, 23,535 bites, and 13,969 sailfish RELEASES!
Have you seen the November Issue of Saltwater Sportsman? Click HERE to read the article on Casa Vieja Lodge, Central Intelligence. Below are some fishing highlights and you can always see the daily fishing report HERE.
- October 26th-29th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 85 raises, 75 bites, and 43 sailfish releases. They also had 1 marlin raise and 13 mahi-mahi!
- November 2nd-6th the Afinity (39’ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nestor Garcia, had 171 raises, 159 bites, and 105 sailfish releases. They also had 5 mahi-mahi!
- November 2nd-8th, the Intensity (37’ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 142 raises, 121 bites, and 77 sailfish releases! Plus 7 marlin raises, 6 marlin bites, 5 marlin releases, 5 tuna, and mahi-mahi!
- November 3rd-7th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 208 raises, 174 bites, and 121 sailfish releases. They also had 2 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 1 marlin release AND 8 tuna!
- November 3rd-8th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar), with substitute Capt. Chris Sheeder, had 168 raises, 104 bites, 54 sailfish releases. They also had 4 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 3 marlin releases, 1 mahi-mahi, AND 5 tunas.
- November 5th-7th, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 102 raises, 94 bites, and 65 sailfish releases. They also had 1 marlin raise, 1 mahi-mahi, and 6 tuna (1 weighing 80 lbs and 1 weighing 100 lbs!).
- November 5th & 9th, fishing only 2 days, the Pez Raton (35’ ST Contender) with Capt. Efron Rizzo, had 43 raises, 39 bites, and 18 sailfish releases. They also had 2 mah-mahi and 2 marlin raises.
Visit the Casa Vieja Lodge website for more details or to book your adventure today.