Catching the fish is exciting… preparing the fish is rewarding. This Nigiri recipe is one that is sure to impress everyone based not only on the aesthetics of the dish, but also by the speed at which it can be prepared and the unique umami taste it delivers. While this recipe uses local San Diego rod and reel-caught Bluefin Tuna, this preparation can be used with Yellowfin as well.
As with any raw fish preparation, fish care post-catch is key. Fish you catch and plan to eat should be instantly spiked, bled, gilled, gutted. Furthermore, fish should be covered with ice including a layer beneath the underside of the fish. For the absolute best quality we recommend performing an Ike-Jime procedure as well. For instructions and information on Ike-Jime check out our webinar here.
The Catch: Pacific Bluefin Tuna
San Diego has become a world renowned fishing destination for Bluefin over the past 10 years. As a centennial event, Bluefin migrations shifted around 2015, bringing a bulk of the Pacific biomass within day range of the California coast during the summer months. San Diego has been the epicenter of West Coast Bluefin fishing with fish being caught exceeding 300lbs. Amazing topwater displays have become common with massive foam spots of tuna attracting jig oriented anglers from all over. With such large fish being caught, a common concern is ensuring all the fish gets eaten. People are amazed at the amount of tuna loin they leave with following a successful tuna trip. It is no secret that Bluefin taste delicious. They are rich in flavor, buttery when served raw, and amazing seared.
- Location: San Diego
- Method: Surface Iron Fishing
- Process: Locating and casting on crashing, foaming, and puddling fish on the surface.
- Serving Size: 4 – infinity
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Ingredients4 - Infinity
- Bluefin or Yellowfin Tuna Loin
- Instant Sticky Rice (Tamaki Gold Recommended)
- Spicy Chili Crisp
- Soy Sauce
- Pat Tuna dry of all excess moisture.
- Slice Tuna 1/4 inch thick and trim to 1 inch long.
- Cook instant sticky rice according to package instructions.
- Let rice cool.
- Slice lemons and jalapeños.
- Dice avocado and cilantro.
- Mix 2 tbsp soy sauce with I tsp water in a bowl.
- Squeeze one lemon slice into soy/water mix.
- Take rice and mold into 1 1/2 inch long beds of rice.
- Place sliced tuna on beds of rice.
- Place jalepeno slice on one end of the tuna.
- Squeeze desired amount of Hoisin sauce into Jalapeño slice.
- Place desired amount of diced avocado on tuna.
- Dollop Spicy Chili Crisp on top.
- Spinkle panko breadcrumbs.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Lastly spoon soy mix lightly over each bowl and allow remaining to settle at the base of the plate or bowl.
- Enjoy and impress everyone!