Here is a simple yet delicious video recipe for a Classic Ahi Tuna Poke from our great friend Allison Stattner in Southeast Florida. She demonstrates her favorite way to whip up this classic poke recipe using fresh yellowfin tuna.
- 1 pound yellowfin tuna/ahi
- 1/3 shoyu soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, white and black mixed or your preference
- 1/4 cup maui onion, sweet yellow onion or shallot, diced
- 2 stalks of chopped scallion, bottoms only not top leaves
- 1/2 sweet pepper, diced
- 1/2 large jalapeno, diced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp togarashi, or similar pepper spice
- Sea salt to taste
Slice the tuna into approximately ½ “ cubes and set aside in a ceramic bowl, or other non-metallic bowl.
Add all of the other ingredients and gently mix until the fish is evenly coated with the dressing.
Refrigerate at least one hour to chill and allow the flavors to infuse.
To make the poke bowls, make steamed rice and slice your favorite garnishes. A few great additions are avocado, cucumber, edamame, daikon, carrots, mango and pineapple but the options are endless!
Spoon some rice into a serving bowl, add the marinated tuna and then a few of your veg/fruit toppings. A sprinkle of sea salt really finishes the dish.