Everything is better with bacon as the saying goes… once gain it proves true! We are catching heaps of grouper and snapper at this time of the year, so I’m always looking for variations for our catch. Its actually a take on a BLT, we call it a FLT (Fish, Lettuce and Tomato) and we add thick cut turkey bacon.
As several of our friends who have tried it comment; this sandwich knocks it right out of the park!
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic- pressed
- 1 pound snapper or grouper fillet cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- Light mayo
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 4 Large bacon rashers cooked and cooled (I use thick cut turkey bacon, use your favorite)
- Romaine Lettuce Heart leaves sliced
- Vine ripened tomatoes
- Light mayo
Your favorite bread lightly toasted (I like to use a hearty whole wheat roll or thick cut bread as hearty bread stands up better to the moist fish mixture)
Celery salt & fresh ground black pepper
- In a medium nonstick saucepan add fist three ingredients and saute until the onions are just cooked through.
- Add the fish and sprinkle with paprika. Turning once, cook until the fish is just done. Careful not to over cook.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- Add the relish and green onions to the fish mixture and just enough mayo to be able to break up and lightly mash the fish to combine the ingredients.
- Season with salt & pepper and a dash of Tabasco to taste.
- Chill really well until ready to serve.
- This fish mixture is also great served on crackers.
- Spread a light coating of mayo on each of slice bread, spoon the fish mixture on to the bottom slice.
- Add the bacon, then tomato (season with ground black pepper and a touch of celery salt), add a lettuce leaf and top bread slice and enjoy.
Use good quality fresh ingredients and you will be surprised to see how a little bacon can really liven up a delicious fish sandwich.