Spiny Lobster & Avocado Salad Recipe
There are a few natural matches with food that create the perfect marriage — bacon and onions, tomatoes and basil, steak and mushrooms and my personal favorite, lobster and avocado.This is an easy recipe that can be presented either on a plate or you can simply stuff a half avocado with the lobster salad. Either way, you can’t lose.
- 2 Whole spiny lobsters, steamed (7-8 minutes), cooled, meat removed and diced
- 2 Hass avocados
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 1 Tsp. dijon mustard
- ¼Tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (go easy, you can always add in more). You can also use sea salt and fresh black pepper if you don’t like Old Bay.
- 1 Lime
- ½ cup sherry vinaigrette
- 8 Leaves of fresh basil
- First, make the vinaigrette by mixing the sherry vinaigrette and fresh basil leaves in a blender on a high speed. You want to pulverize the basil and turn the dressing a bright green. Place in the refrigerator.
- Steam the lobsters in a large pot. Remove after 7 to 8 minutes and let them cool. Once you can handle the lobsters, remove the lobster meat and cut it into large chunks.
- Place the lobster meat in a large mixing bowl and add the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Mix well.
- Add chives and Old Bay. Mix all of the ingredients together.
- If you want to stuff the avocado, just split it in half with a knife, remove the seed and stuff with the lobster salad and serve.
- For the plated presentation, prepare the avocado by scooping the meat from the outer skin and slicing. Shingle the slices of avocado on a plate and spoon the lobster salad alongside the avocado slices.
- Sprinkle some sea salt on the avocado and drizzle the basil vinaigrette on top.
- This recipe will have folks coming back for seconds, so make sure to have plenty of lobster salad on hand.