The Makaira, a premium lever drag conventional reel, was created by Okuma and quickly became a favorite of anglers in a variety of fisheries. They also became a staple of long range anglers who needed to know their tackle could hold up to big fish in faraway places.
The Makaira lever-drag series is celebrating 10-years of hardcore fish catching and many more to go!
“My first real experience with Makaira was using the 80’s and 130’s for giant bluefin with Tony’s Tuna Fishing in Prince Edward Island,” said Capt. Scott Goodwin. “Capt Tony McDonald and his crews had come to depend on the Makaira to withstand the incredible pressures required to quickly subdue the local giants that they were required to land within an hour of hooking them to make for a better survival rate upon release. That takes some really serious pressure!”
As time passed, more anglers requested smaller and smaller versions of the Makaira to match their fishing needs. Okuma answered the call and now offers a full line up of these lever drag reels for every size class. Starting with an MK-10 and incrementally getting larger: MK-10, MK-15, MK-16, MK-20, MK-30, MK-50, MK-80, and the MK-130. This allows anglers to match their tackle to any sized fish or technique. You can be live baiting whole tuna for giant marlin, picking off finicky white marlin or laying it all on the rail for cow tuna. There is a Makaira for every occasion and fishing technique.
The Makaira reels are also offered in a variety of models and colors to match your preference and style of fishing.
The original and classic gold anodized frames are still very popular with anglers and adorn the gunnels of sportboats everywhere.
The Makaira Gunsmoke SEa has an awesome dark gunsmoke color with a silver etched yellowfin tuna on the side. It is one sweet reel and very popular with anglers from both coasts and around the world.
The Makaira SEa Silver has the same classy etched tuna with a black inlay of color to make it pop. Silver is quickly becoming a fan favorite and makes for a really sharp reel for any application.
- 6061-T6 Machined aluminum frame with forged side plates
- 17-4 stainless steel gearing
- Open spool bearings with TSI-301 oil. Increases freespool 2-1/2 times
- All non-spool bearings feature a full grease pack for maximum longevity
- Helical cut gears for increased torque, smoothness, and improved gear meshing
- Cold forged, Type-II anodized, machined aluminum spool
- CRC: Corrosion-Resistant Coating process
- Carbonite Dual Force Drag system featuring Cal’s universal drag grease
- Custom designed thrust bearing: Alleviates side load on heavy drag settings
- Heavy-duty, 17-4 grade stainless steel drive, and spool shafts
- Makaira lever drag reels are backed by a 5-year warranty
No matter what color you choose, the Makaira is as smooth as it is sleek with its Carbonite Dual Force drag system and its helical-cut gears. It’s over-sized handle and lower low-speed gearing versus the original Makaira serve up extreme torque for the Makaira SEa. The entire Makaira family of reels are backed by a 5-year warranty.
Now for a limited time, you can ring in the New Year with New Gear! Take advantage of Okuma’s latest offer; Buy a Makaira, get a free jacket!
CLICK HERE FOR THE REBATE LINK