Got frozen tuna and a party to attend? How about a tuna poke appetizer? It certainly seems like mainland America is falling in love with this new tuna appetizer, Hawaiian poke. And especially in California, where, the most creative versions of poke are showing up. Here, the growth of Hawaiian poke restaurants has nearly doubled in just the past 2 years. And, for us fishermen, we have access to some of the freshest tuna around. So, I say, let’s make a tuna appetizer, with Mexican flavors, tuna poke and fried tortillas chips.
First off, it goes without saying, poke is insanely yummy. So imagine, adding tuna poke, Mexican flavors and fried tortilla chips. This pairing is made in Mexico heaven. Plus, this dish can be made from your frozen tuna! And talk about easy to make? Especially if need a tuna appetizer for a party. In the end, everyone will love the saltiness and the crunchy mouth feel of the fried chips. Especially combined with the soft buttery tuna. So, with just a little spice here and there, let me introduce to you, Mexican tuna poke.
Mexican Poke Tuna Appetizer
Makes 10-15 appetizers
- 2 pounds tuna, small 1/4 inch cubes (keep your tuna cubes refrigerated while making the poke sauce)
- 1 Bag fried Mexican corn chips
- ¼ cup Mexican Crema, or sour cream
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 4 Stalks of green onions
- 1 Bundle of cilantro
- Coarse black pepper
- Ground cayenne pepper (optional!)
- Small pack of white sesame seeds
- To make the poke, add the Mexican crema, soy sauce and chipotle in a medium sized bowl and mix. Finally, add the fish, and mix.
- Lastly, place 3 or 4 chips on a plate with a dollop of poke on top. Then, garnish with green onions, cilantro, black pepper, and sesame seeds. Now eat!
Please visit Fisherman’s Belly for many more delicious recipes and unique ideas for preparing your seafood and fresh catch or visit the “FishermansBellyChannel” on Youtube to subscribe for weekly updates: http://bit.ly/2x2Zom3
See more recipes from Fisherman’s Belly on BD.