Step 1: Take a trip to Hawaii and visit ANY plate lunch place. Step 2: Order a “Loco Moco”.. Step 3: Eat one of the most delicious and completely not healthy or diet friendly dishes ever. Loco Moco is comfort food comprised of rice, a hamburger patty, topped with an egg, smothered in gravy and served in a place alongside a scoop of potato mac salad.
Here is how to make one of my favorites using elk instead of the standard beef.
Elk Loco Moco
- Rice (white steamed)
- Eggs (fried, over easy, or sunny side up. Just make sure the yolk is runny)
For the Patty
- Ground Elk about (about 2 cups)
- Half a yellow onion. Finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- Bread crumbs (1/4 cup)
- Garlic Powder (1 Tablespoon)
- Paprika (1 tsp)
- 1 Egg
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Nonstick Frying Pan
- Brown Gravy (you can use packaged, canned, or make your own)
- In a large mixing bowl add elk, onion, bread crumbs, garlic powder, paprika, egg, and pepper.
- Mix well to combine ingredients and divide mixture into four patties.
- Heat your nonstick pan.
- Shape patties in your hand. If you make thicker patties make sure to create a small indention in the center to ensure even cooking.
- Add oil/butter to pan and swirl around before gently placing patties in pan.
- Season patties to taste with salt and pepper as needed.
- Fry patties and gently flip to brown on both sides.
- To assemble, scoop rice onto a plate and place the elk burger on top of rice.
- Gently place your egg (cooked your favorite way, mine is over easy) on the elk.
- Cover with hot brown gravy and serve with a scoop of potato mac salad.