I went hooping for lobsters last night with some pros and I learned quite a bit. Hopefully the experience will help me personally score better results in the future. While we ended up with 8 lobsters, it was more action than I am used to. Curry and lobster are always a great combination and in this recipe I used Red Curry, which already has shrimp paste in it. This lends itself to a great curry dish for lobster and with all of the yellowtail around this year; I threw some of that in as well. This a very easy dish with the key factor being to secure a good Red Curry paste from a local Asian store.
Red Curry Lobster and Yellowtail
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce-(optional)
- 2 Spiny lobsters, tail meat removed, chunked
- 1-pound yellowtail fillets, chunked
- 2-3 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 2 Cans coconut milk
- 1 Tsp. sugar
- 4 Fresh Kaffir lime leaves-Asian specialty stores
- 1 Red Serrano chili pepper, thinly sliced-(optional as this will raise the heat)
- 1-pound, assorted cut vegetables-red/yellow peppers, red onions, shredded carrots, haricot vert, asparagus chips, sliced mushrooms
- ½ Bunch chopped cilantro
- Steamed jasmine rice
- Begin by preparing the Lobster and Yellowtail as described. I prefer to simply tear off the tail and chop the meat raw, however you could par boil the lobster if that makes the meat removal easier for you.
- You can get a pot of the Jasmine Rice steaming to be ready in 30 minutes.
- Using a large, non-stick Sauté Pan, heat up the pan on high until it begins to smoke.
- Add the half of the oil and then sear and brown off the Lobster and Yellowtail only to sear the outside and to get some nice charring. Remove and place on a plate, hold on side.
- Add the remaining oil and then add the Vegetables to again get some charred/searing color on them. Remove and place with the Lobster and Yellowtail. DO NOT USE THE KAFFIR LIME LEAVES OR CILANTRO YET!
- While the pan is hot add the Red Curry Paste, Sugar and Coconut Milk and bring to a simmer. Use a whisk to incorporate and smooth out all of the curry paste.
- Bring to a boil to reduce and thicken the mix. When you see the curry begin to thicken (3-4 minutes), add the Lobster, Fish and Vegetables, KAFFIR LIME LEAVES and continue to simmer a few more minutes. Taste the sauce to ensure it is to your liking. Remember, you can always start with less curry paste and always add more in. Too much may give you a hotter sauce than desired.
- When the seafood and vegetables are done and the sauce is thickened and ready then you finish with the chopped Cilantro right at the very end.
- Serve in bowls and add a scoop of Jasmine Rice and serve.