When it comes to homemade tuna rolls, fishermen have the edge.
Why? Because we can get our hands on the freshest tuna around! And with the help of this recipe video, learning how to make and roll these homemade tuna rolls are a cinch.
By the way, water temperatures along our coast have broken the 100 year record. La Jolla’s Scripts Pier is registering 78F! Looks like we’re heading for a third stellar tuna season! Get ready, catch your tuna, and make this recipe!!
Homemade Tuna Rolls
Makes 15-20 tuna rolls
Ingredients For The Tuna Rolls
- 1 ½ Pounds, small cubes
- Handful of cut arugula
- Small papaya, cut into 4 to 5-in sticks
- Nori sheet, or roasted seaweed sheets cut in halves
Ingredients For The Sushi Rice
- 1 Tbsp. of sugar
- 2 Tbsp. of white vinegar (rice vinegar optional)
- 1 Tsp. of salt
- 1 ¼ cup of sushi rice
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2-3 Tbsp. of red chili flakes used as garnish
Creating the Sushi Rice
- First, wash the sushi rice in a strainer, until the water becomes clear.
- Then, in a small pot, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil, and add a pinch of salt. Then, start adding the rice, and reduce the heat. And, let it simmer for 10 minutes and remember, to keep the lid on the pot.
- In the mean while, create the vinegar rice seasoning by mixing the vinegar, sugar and salt. And, set that aside. After the rice has simmered for 10 minutes, remove it from the heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes. And please, do not remove the lid!
- Finally, place the rice into a large nonmetallic bowl or, onto a wooden or plastic cutting board. Now, using a wooden spatula begin to gently break apart the rice clumps to allow for cooling. Shortly thereafter, begin adding the vinegar seasoning, while continuing to gently mix the rice. Finally, allow the rice to cool to room temperature.
Creating the Homemade Tuna Rolls
- When using the Nori sheets always place the sushi rice on the rough side of the sheets; and, try not to allow the sheets to get wet while working with them.
- Start creating the homemade tuna rolls by first placing a “ping pong ball” sized clump of sushi rice at the half way mark of the Nori sheet (watch the video for more details). Then add a couple of tablespoons of tuna on top of the rice. Next add the papaya strips and a couple of arugula stems. All of the ingredients are added only to the half way mark of the Nori sheet.
- Begin the rolling process by folding the bottom corner of the Nori sheet (same half as the ingredients) over the filling, and then roll up to form a cone shape.
- Enjoy with a small bowl of soy sauce and wasabi on the side.