Editor’s Note: Incredible numbers are coming in from Casa Vieja Lodge in their Guatemala fishing report this month.
On The Hunt
We hope everyone had a fantastic Easter and Spring Break, albeit at Casa Vieja Lodge it was a tad bit better! There was an intense Easter egg hunt, accompanied of course with a rabbit piñata for the children. Adults took time to see Semana Santa (Holy Week) processions in Antigua which is the second largest celebration in the world following Seville, Spain. A few anglers also visited the local Puerto San Jose procession which is much smaller but still fascinating.
Every spring we host medical professionals that come to Guatemala on medical missions and also manage to fish in our legendary waters. We are delighted and amazed at the amount of doctors and dentists that have donated their services to Guatemalan children in need. Thank you for all that you do, we sincerely appreciate your time!
During your travels this month, please pick up an issue of United Airlines Rhapsody Magazine and read the editorial on Casa Vieja Lodge, to read the digital version CLICK HERE.
Solo Angler Trip in May
Calling all SOLO anglers! You asked for it, and now you have another opportunity to come alone and fish at the world famous Casa Vieja Lodge, May 16-20 at a much cheaper rate than normal! For $2,930/angler you will fish with the best in the business for 3 full days of fishing, 4 nights lodging (including your own private room), VIP airport transportation, alcohol and meals, laundry service, and the finest tournament tackle. This rate is normally reserved for parties of 4 anglers!
Act fast as this is based on availability. Call our Miami office at 1-800-882-4665 for more information or email us and secure your spot. Team up with other solo anglers while also splitting the cost and making new friends. May marks the start of summer and when the big fishing heats up, as dorado have been spawning and the marlin are in the mood to eat making incredible Guatemala fishing. guest get and tricks from our top tagging mates and captains, and cross Casa Vieja Lodge off your bucket list.
Guatemala Fishing Highlights
It is raining sailfish for our April showers! We are ringing in the month with double-digit sailfish releases, handfuls of mahi-mahi, and constant appearances of blue and striped marlin. Come visit us in sunny Guatemala to experience our first class fishing, first hand!
Shout-out to the Dixon Group, whom we met at the Great American Outdoors Show, came down this past month and released an outstanding 78 sailfish in 2 DAYS aboard the Release (37′ Merritt). Great work guys, we can’t wait to have you all back soon, with your friends who aren’t believers!
Below are a few fishing highlights and you can check out our daily fishing report HERE.
- March 13th-April 3rd, the Spindrift (38’ Stolper) with Capt. Nicho Alvarenga, had 489 raises, 323 bites, and 185 sailfish releases. They also had 6 marlin raises, 5 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases (1 striped marlin), 5 tuna, and 31 mahi-mahi
- March 15th-28th, the El Cadejo (35′ Contender) with Capt. Efron Rizzo, had 334 raises, 236 bites, and 112 sailfish releases. They also had 3 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases (1 striped marlin), 3 tuna, and 26 mahi-mahi!
- March 15th-April 4th, the Poco Loco (44′ Kincheloe Nickerson) with Capt. David Salazar, had 692 raises, 451 bites, and 240 sailfish releases. They also had 4 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases (1 striped marlin), 5 tuna, and 35 mahi-mahi.
- March 16th-30th, the Afinity (39’ Billy Knowles) with Capt. Nico Melendrez, had 457 raises, 318 bites, and 169 sailfish releases. They also had 1 marlin raise, 1 marlin bite, 1 striped marlin release, tuna, and 22 mahi-mahi!
- March 16th- April 4th, the Makaira (37’ Rybovich) with Capt. Jason Brice, had 504 raises, 394 bites, and 192 sailfish releases. They also had 2 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 2 marlin releases (1 striped marlin), 3 tuna, and 47 mahi-mahi.
- March 16th- April 4th, the Pez Raton (35′ Contender) with Capt. Franz Hoffman, had 156 raises, 86 bites, and 34 sailfish releases. They also had 8 marlin raises, 3 marlin bites, 5 tuna, 12 mahi-mahi, and 3 roosterfish.
- March 16th- April 4th, the Release (37′ Merritt) with Capt. Chico Alvarenga, had 625 raises, 396 bites, and 216 sailfish releases. They also had 3 marlin raises, 2 marlin bites, 1 striped marlin release, 11 tuna, 14 mahi-mahi, AND 1 roosterfish.
- March 17th-31st, the Intensity (37′ Gamefisherman) with Capt. Mike Sheeder, had 445 raises, 220 bites, and 113 sailfish releases. They also had 2 marlin raises, 1 marlin bite, 1 marlin release, 4 tuna, and 17 mahi-mahi!
- March 18th- April 4th, the Finest Kind (40’ Whiticar) with Capt. Chris Sheeder, had 572 raises, 297 bites, and 129 sailfish releases. They also had 7 marlin raises, 4 marlin bites, 1 marlin release, 2 tuna, and 21 mahi-mahi!
If you are looking to book some last minute Guatemala fishing please call 1-800-882-4665 and speak with Kirsten Thomas to check availability or click here to email.
Check out the Race To Guatemala fishing video from BD.