I really enjoy fish soup when the nights are cold. And, since this is late March, time is running out… That’s why I made this Greek Egg Lemon Fish Soup. Its’ very satisfying to make a homemade fish soup with a fish you caught. It’ll keep you warm till bedtime.
Last weekend I was busy giving seminars on safe fresh fish handling, in San Diego at the Fred Hall Show. At the end of the show, the Sporting Chef, Scott Leysath (sportingchef.com) sent me home with some fresh swordfish. I knew I wanted just one last fish soup before the warm weather sets in. Plus, this egg lemon soup is so unusual in terms of the silky-smooth egg lemon sauce. I’ve been enjoying Greek Egg Lemon Fish Soup year-round since I was a boy.
Hope you give this simple yet tasty recipe a try. And, especially since I share some of my mom’s super-secret, secrets with you! Enjoy.
Greek Egg Lemon Fish Soup
- 1 1/2-pounds swordfish, 1/2 cubes (any fresh fish will do!)
- 4 Large carrots
- 2 Onions, quartered
- 1 Whole bundle parsley (chop a handful for garnish)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 5-6 Small sweet pepper (option: one large red or green)
- 2 Potatoes, quartered
- 3 quarts cold water
- 3-4 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. peppercorns
- Coarse black pepper
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Large lemon
- 1 cup rice (long or medium grain)
- 1 Package fresh Greek pita (warmed on the stove top and cut into quarter pieces)
- Begin by making the vegetable stock, and make sure you start with cold water in a large pot. Start placing the carrots, onions, parsley, garlic, peppers, potatoes and then add the salt and peppercorns. This only requires simmering for no longer than 30 minutes.
- Next strain and transfer the newly made vegetable stock into another large pot to begin making the soup. Now is the time to add the rice while cooking over a medium heat until the rice is tender (10-15 minutes). After the rice is cooked, with a slotted spoon remove approximately 3-4 tablespoons of rice into a Pyrex measuring cup, and then set aside.
- Next, add the fish and continue to cook over a low flame for another 10 minutes or so.
- While the fish is finishing cooking, begin making the egg lemon sauce. Squeeze the large lemon into the pyrex measuring cup with the cooked rice and then add the eggs. Use a hand-held blender and beat the lemon egg rice mixture for no more than 20 seconds. You can use a blender, or even vigorous whisking will get you the same results. Now, you can directly pour this mixture into the soup and mix.
- Heat and cut your pita bread, and then garnish with the remaining chopped parsley and coarse black pepper. Enjoy