dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Singing Hills (El Cajon), CA
Name
Don Weir
Boat
15' & 20' Bayrunners 'Zoo Boys'
We just returned from the Bay (nice new sign at the roundabout "BLA").
10 day trip with 6 out of 8 days on the water. Fishing all done at the Bajo (Guadalupe Reef at 200-260'. Great success on the incoming tide. The water at 5am to beach launch the boat in front of the house was 56-57 degrees so mucho cafe on the ride up to the Bajo.
Good quality fish and we caught a few. Blue and white, scrambled egg, green and yellow worked well.
Fish were in the 18-21lb class. They were on the chew so few lost fish, but, coming up the reef (northbound) we left numerous lures on the bottom.
San Diego to Mexicali East and down Mex 5 and back with no problems (Road into the Bay is getting a little eaten up and there are several potholes to watch out for as you drive.
See you all in April!!

7 lucky.JPG

DSCF1018.JPG

tritons.JPG

mornings.JPG

DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Thanks for the Great Report! I've got to get my skiff down there!

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
We ll be in Gonzaga. End of April. La bay. End of June hope to hook up with you guys.

CPV

Apr 29, 2009
Canyon Lake, CA
Name
James
Boat
25' Sportcraft
Great trip! Do you happen to have numbers for guadalupe reef? I am heading down end of march and typically fish south towards animas. Would be great to find a closer reef. Thanks!

surf launch

Dec 27, 2006
San Diego
Name
Rob
Boat
14 ft Livingston and 12'aluminum skiffs
Are the authorities still checking for proof of residence before being allowed to travel south? Also, availability of fuel and food stuffs in Bahia?

Thanks for the report and answering questions.

dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Name
Don Weir
Boat
We are working on our April and June dates at this time. It has to do with the tide for beach launching our Bayrunner as well as solunar tables. I'll let you know.

Reactions: denis

dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Name
Don Weir
Boat
I am up in San Diego now and don't have access to #'s. If you see pangas heading North follow them up past Isla Coronadito for another 5 miles. They will put you on the spot.

Reactions: CPV

CPV

Apr 29, 2009
Canyon Lake, CA
Name
James
Boat
25' Sportcraft
I am up in San Diego now and don't have access to #'s. If you see pangas heading North follow them up past Isla Coronadito for another 5 miles. They will put you on the spot.
Ya that makes sense. I'm sure I can find it on my charts too. What depths does it come up to? Thanks again

dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Name
Don Weir
Boat
202 is the highest point I've seen.
we were Fishing incoming tide on the south side of the Bajo starting at about 220'-230' and letting us do the drift NNW over the 202 spot to about 260. We were hooking up at about 230-240 but, in the past, we have hooked up right on the 202. The tide at one point when I looked was 2.4mph so 6x, 6x juniors let the lure down to the bottom in a reasonable manner
Watch that drift as it is a lure grabber!!

Reactions: CPV

Hard at Play

Jul 18, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Ray
Boat
"Bills & Rays"
Are you towing your boat down? If so any problems towing your own boat down?