dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Singing Hills (El Cajon), CA
Name
Don Weir
Boat
15' & 20' Bayrunners 'Zoo Boys'
4 Zooboys came back to LA Bay on Thursday 10.01 via Mexico 5 (Mexicali East). At 6 am we were greeted by customs as well as immigration. Immigration wanted to see all Visas and passports. 2 Zooboys went inside to get visas and were told (emphatically) there were no free visas to be had. Immigration lady took their money and went to the banking office and came back and processed the visas. Meanwhile we had the truck searched and cleared. Now we were on the way wearing masks through all towns with minimal road potholes from San Felipe to the airport turnoff. They are working on the road from the airport turnoff going south filling any potholes FISHING 1st day we hit the usual spots in the early am: Ralphs Reef, Coronadito, Ventana Reef, South Peohe. No other boats at these spots and no yellowtail.
We heard from a neighbor the Bajo was turning out yellowtail and off we went. Bite was at dawn and lasted on and off for 1.5 hours each day. Saturday and Sunday had some large fish and Monday, Tuesday, and today the fish were a little smaller. Water temp 78 degrees. Hooked two dorado while trolling feathers a bit near Smith. 10 boats yesterday at Los Machos, none today IMG_0105.jpgIMG_0178.jpg

Upvote 0

dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Name
Don Weir
Boat
Wind blew out of the northwest and kept us from the Bajo. Tried Guadelupe (Eagles Nest) but wind and current was too strong to reach the bottom. Went down to Bill's spot (outside San Juan but nothing showing and we left after several drop.
Headed towards Horsehead and at the 130 mark saw a dorado cut the water about 5 times chasing some bait but no joy there. Got to the house about 12 and we are finishing packing for an early run to Mexicali East
94 degrees last night.

Talk to you all around 11.2.2020 here on BD

Reactions: Dogman619 and denis
Upvote 0

dweir

One of the Zooboys
Dec 2, 2011
Name
Don Weir
Boat
Wind started on Thursday and almost blew us off the water when we went north to attempt the Bajo but wound up going over to Alcatraz and fishing the current and wind drift with no success. Heard from Captains that Fish were biting around Animas and Barnabee's Reef down south but it was our last day and we were off the water and cleaning boat and house, getting ready to leave this morning.
Took the route Mex 5 into Mexicali and then headed to Mexicali East. 20 minute wait; very easy crossing
It was our first time at East and one of the turns isn't marked too well so when you get to Buffalo Wild Wings take the first right. That one was a little tricky.
Went to Heber and visited Kennedys for a supply of carne asada.
See you all on the Bay on 10.02.2020

Upvote 0

Beer Goggles

Feb 9, 2007
Trabuco Canyon CA
Name
O
Boat
The Snapper Slapper
Sounds like the same male/female scam duo at the border entrance/immigration office that we ran into. About 5 weeks ago she charged me a "gas tax" for bringing my 5 gallon gas cans that were full in the back of my truck. The male- translating in English told me it was "$16 dollars". I figured no big deal for 3 5 gallon gas cans, since I knew I wasn't supposed to bring them in. When I got to the counte it was "$60 dollars" for the fine/tax for bringing the gas cans in. I was pissed He tried to charge $30 per person - 4 of us- for the 60 day visa. Pissed moaned and argues for 15 minutes until finally convincing him there was no way we were paying for the 6 month visa when the 7 day are free. After bickering and arguing he tried to charge us for 3 people. Argued more and convinced him that wasn't going to happen period! He then told us we could pay for 2 people. Argued more of the same and he threatened to fine us. Told him repeatedly there was no way I was paying for free 7 day visas. He finally said we could pay the $30 for 1 visa or we could leave the country and cancel our trip. I reluctantly paid $30 FMM. Since dipshit had already filled out the other visa's with the expectation of pocketing $120 he simply crossed out the hand written 180 days. He wrote 7 days instead. Not sure how they "were out of 7 day visas" when all they do is write the total days in pen and can cross out whatever they want. Unfortunately this ass clown is pocketing a fortune with his scam and it might not stop anytime soon.

Someone suggested you can print out your free 7 day visa in advance and just get it stamped- not sure if that works? Last week we just went without the visa. I don't think I've ever been asked in 25 years of driving down. I do need it when flying.

Last week driving through same assclown didn't see my car driving through until a little later. He tried to whistle at the military to stop us but I just kept on driving. Just a heads up on the scam for anyone driving through the West border. I was told you can drive through the East entrance and it's just 5 or 6 miles further up Calexico. Anyone drive in through Calexico East entrance recently care to chime in?

Reactions: Dogman619
Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Hey, no matter what, do your paperwork, without it insurance means nothing. Did mid 60's to early 80' without insurance or FMM no problem. Few years ago girlfriend had a major fall, needed emergency care. Police had to do investigation, you don't want to be illegal alien. Locals and police were great, without it possible nightmare, you need all paperwork or copies with passport. Drivers license, medical card info, FMM, Us insurance, Mexican insurance, hopefully you never have a problem but if you do you won't want to waste time and possibly thousands over spending 20 bucks or even a 100 or so for more insurance, Good Luck Chivito and Kat. Thanks again to all the locals and Volunteers who got her stabilized and out of there alive

Reactions: Beer Goggles
    Upvote 0

brich4aday

Almost A Member
    Dec 22, 2009
    Ontario CA usa
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28,baja,
    Sounds like the same male/female scam duo at the border entrance/immigration office that we ran into. About 5 weeks ago she charged me a "gas tax" for bringing my 5 gallon gas cans that were full in the back of my truck. The male- translating in English told me it was "$16 dollars". I figured no big deal for 3 5 gallon gas cans, since I knew I wasn't supposed to bring them in. When I got to the counte it was "$60 dollars" for the fine/tax for bringing the gas cans in. I was pissed He tried to charge $30 per person - 4 of us- for the 60 day visa. Pissed moaned and argues for 15 minutes until finally convincing him there was no way we were paying for the 6 month visa when the 7 day are free. After bickering and arguing he tried to charge us for 3 people. Argued more and convinced him that wasn't going to happen period! He then told us we could pay for 2 people. Argued more of the same and he threatened to fine us. Told him repeatedly there was no way I was paying for free 7 day visas. He finally said we could pay the $30 for 1 visa or we could leave the country and cancel our trip. I reluctantly paid $30 FMM. Since dipshit had already filled out the other visa's with the expectation of pocketing $120 he simply crossed out the hand written 180 days. He wrote 7 days instead. Not sure how they "were out of 7 day visas" when all they do is write the total days in pen and can cross out whatever they want. Unfortunately this ass clown is pocketing a fortune with his scam and it might not stop anytime soon.

Someone suggested you can print out your free 7 day visa in advance and just get it stamped- not sure if that works? Last week we just went without the visa. I don't think I've ever been asked in 25 years of driving down. I do need it when flying.

Last week driving through same assclown didn't see my car driving through until a little later. He tried to whistle at the military to stop us but I just kept on driving. Just a heads up on the scam for anyone driving through the West border. I was told you can drive through the East entrance and it's just 5 or 6 miles further up Calexico. Anyone drive in through Calexico East entrance recently care to chime in?
    I go that way about every two months and in the last year we have had some problems with the FFM . if you pre print the forms and pay online he wont stamp them and he will not do the free 7 day even if you have it printed for him . I have had no problem with having the old one with me . but he did say its not going to fly if he sees me again . i guess its time to go to the other gate

Upvote 0

Baja Larry

Ketchikan Larry
    Mar 23, 2012
    Oceanside
    Name
    Larry Hansen
    Boat
    28' Norvelle Tin Boat
    I go that way about every two months and in the last year we have had some problems with the FFM . if you pre print the forms and pay online he wont stamp them and he will not do the free 7 day even if you have it printed for him . I have had no problem with having the old one with me . but he did say its not going to fly if he sees me again . i guess its time to go to the other gate
    OK- so I am headed down on the 25th of this month and purchased the 6-month FMM and prepaid it through Discover Baja. Are you saying that even if you have the receipt for the payment they won't accept it and you have to pay again? Also I heard from Juan Cook down in BOLA that they are hitting gringos up for a "tax" on beer. Charged his group $1.25 PER BOTTLE to bring it down. I know there is a tax on anything over 3 liters of hard alcohol and 6 liters of wine but never heard about this beer deal. From what I can gather the problem only seems to be at this west crossing?

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen
    Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Ya , but , a , being old and stupid we usually do it thru the vagabundos, thru the mail. That way get the actual form typed out with coversheet from club , don't have to wait in line if a tour bus or big group is there,, also have little club decals on stationary side windows, never been stopped or hassled, Maybe don't want to mess with large group. Leave better half in SUV in handicap zone windows down back open, usually they will check out while getting stuff stamps, just wave us through when I get back, old and stupid or club shit, something working, just not sure what it is
    0810191141b.jpg

Upvote 0

brich4aday

Almost A Member
    Dec 22, 2009
    Ontario CA usa
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28,baja,
    OK- so I am headed down on the 25th of this month and purchased the 6-month FMM and prepaid it through Discover Baja. Are you saying that even if you have the receipt for the payment they won't accept it and you have to pay again? Also I heard from Juan Cook down in BOLA that they are hitting gringos up for a "tax" on beer. Charged his group $1.25 PER BOTTLE to bring it down. I know there is a tax on anything over 3 liters of hard alcohol and 6 liters of wine but never heard about this beer deal. From what I can gather the problem only seems to be at this west crossing?
    i know at the east gate they will want to charge your again for the FMM i would go to the west gate . the beer deal has been going on all year because they closed down the beer makers for a time must of been part of the deal i would just buy beer down there

Upvote 0