Zombie Rockfishing for Cows part 2

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by screamingreel, Jun 9, 2015.

1. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Our Excel 16-day trip May 21 to June 6 2015:

Great group of passengers with colorful personalities to match. Thoroughly enjoyed the camaraderie and witty banter! It was quite an adventure and enjoyable to be on the water. The charter master is a great guy and sets the tone for the trip. I also was able to fish with Big Daddy Don Burnside again 20 years later! The three amigos Dan, Gary and Rudy make any trip entertaining...

The ride down hill was smooth. The dehumidifiers downstairs made a huge positive impact. The Excel is a great fishing vessel. The food has improved since 2013 and was good except for the first dinner which did not meet expectations. More cleaning in the bathrooms would also be greatly appreciated.

We traveled straight to Hurricane Bank arriving a little later than expected for a very slow pick bite and lots of sharks. 30 fish caught and 15 lost to sharks. Various sizes from 20 to 225 pounds. 100/135 lbs rigs 5/0 to 7/0 4X circle hooks were the ticket depending on bait size and type. Night time fishing rig was a stout rod with a 50 sized reel with 150 to 200 lbs leader with a black rubber banded 1 lb sinker 5' from the hook fishing with the "Chandelier" rig; 3 sardines nose-hooked on a 9/0 circle.

Side note: We had quite a few unnecessary tangles; a large number of tangles could reduced if passengers stayed in touch with their bait more effectively, in front of them and no angles, at least it would avoid some of the tangles. A few folks were rail anchors...Sitting on the rail in the stern corner and not moving is rude, inconsiderate and ineffective. Listen to the crew, work together and we will all catch more fish!

Back to the action: the kite was working slowly; double trouble and flyers. Lots of sharks still being hooked and tearing up fish. The sardines were not doing well in the 84 degree water and there was lots of die-off. We did not make bait the first night because the anchor was stuck?

The next couple of days were equally scratchy. Lots of sharks. When the current changed, the bite picked-up that night and it finally seemed we were getting in a groove. There was only one flyer caught the second night for bait. No puffers. We caught some salamis, but the sardines continued to do poorly. This made for tough fly lining conditions.

On the fourth morning of fishing the RSW was open for use. While it was still scratchy fishing, it was improving; the chunk was working, fly lined bait and the kite. At noon we had to leave due to a hurricane coming our way...luckily I caught a 120 lbs YFT an hour before we left. It was the right thing to do. Safety is always the primary concern. Clarion was not an option so we headed to the Ridge/Rocks while keeping an eye on the storm.

Two and a half days later we arrived at the Rocks. We had okay Wahoo and minimal Yellowtail fishing at Alijos. We left and a day later arrived at the Ridge. The Yellowtail fishing was better at the Ridge, but not great. Blue & White or Scrambled Egg Salas 6XJR was the ticket (what a surprise).

Next stop a day and a half later....Cedros and more Yellowtail! This time we found a bird school eager to bite; 18 to 22 pounds and a few larger to 30 lbs. Once again, Yoyo jigs off the bottom were most effective, but there were a few fish on top for surface iron! After most had their fill on Yellowtail, we headed to Colonet to anchor and see if and when we might head offshore for Bluefin or stay and fish for rockfish. We fished around Colonet that day for not much.

Later that evening the plan is announced we are heading to the Pt Loma bait receivers to get sardines and spend the next day fishing for Bluefin between San Clemente & Catalina Island. We arrived at Point Loma at 11:30 and left at 12:15 with 200 scoops of unseasoned sardines. This bait was larger and in much batter condition than our previous load. We arrived at our destination at 7 AM. No BFT wanted to play. Maybe the 400+ ton ship spooked them a bit. Called it a trip at 5:30 PM without anyone getting a bite the entire day.

We arrived at Point Loma at 10 PM and tied to the bait receiver until 5:30 AM. Headed into Fisherman's Landing to dock and unload. It was great to see my brother in law catch his personal best YFT (160 lbs) and his first Wahoo ever!!

About the crew; most of them are excellent and highly skilled. However, there were two deckhands who were new to long trips and it was noticed by passengers. I understand having one new guy on a trip, but 2 new guys on a 16 day seemed inappropriate. Another unusual occurrence; we added a passenger when we stopped at the bait dock before the last day of fishing. Even though he is the boat owner, it seemed inappropriate for him to hop on board.

I love to fish long range and feel we made the best of a "less then ideal" situation due to weather conditions. Caught plenty of fish. I would not hesitate to fish with this group again and recommend them highly. Sincere thanks to the charter master Kim; the other passengers and crew who made this trip enjoyable.

Until our next adventure...

- Jeff Burroughs

Jackpot fish was 198 lbs. (Kite fish were ineligible) Way to go, Rudy!!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    vegasandre, Olddog8, jerryl and 2 others like this.
  2. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Sounds like a tough trip. Thanks for telling it how it was. Glad you still enjoyed yourself and took the bad with the good.

3. justin cardenas

justin cardenas Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    justin cardenas
    Boat:
    "Foul Hooker"
    Good to hear you beat your personal best that always the best. But why did you think it was wrong for the owner to hop on? Just curious. Nice job!

4. ygfatboy

ygfatboy Member

Name:
    jeff young
    Boat:
    none
    Boo hoo.....

5. gnehekul

gnehekul I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Fishead
    Boat:
    cash carrying ho
    Better than fishing next to a deck hand?

6. jimm

jimm Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    none
    Just a tough trip Jeff!

Thats fishing and you paid some dues. Thanks for the report. We are in a weird cycle right now and you lived it. Frigging crazy to be fishing Catalina on a 16 day trip! That is the cycle we are in. Half day boats out of Long Beach are doing better than many long trips. The biomass is local.

Glad you are home safe. No need to deal in any way with those big storms.

screamingreel and XL1 like this.
  7. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    If you were eating at a restaurant and the owner came and sat at your table and ate off of your plate, it would be inappropriate would it not?

stella marina likes this.
  8. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    The tough trips make the good trips so much sweeter……..IMO fishing is always fun catching is the bonus.

9. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    So, did the owner (which one, as there are several?) get in the way, get preferential treatment at the bait tank, hog the corner, cause tangles? Or did he just come out to enjoy a day on his boat?

10. bigreddog

bigreddog Member

Name:
    Cliff
    Boat:
    Long Range

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  11. justin cardenas

justin cardenas Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    justin cardenas
    Boat:
    "Foul Hooker"
    Well sorry u forgot to mention he was eating off of ur plate. Don't forget who's boat you were on.

12. screamingreel

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Good points, Cliff.

Safety is always the number one concern. The trip is being moved two weeks earlier next year to hopefully avoid weather complications...

13. Olddog8

Olddog8 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Sold long ago
    Those sharks are brutal at Clarion!

14. richardvantine

richardvantine Newbie

Name:
    Richard Vantine
    Boat:
    Big X Red rooster
    Jeff you seem to know all about boat good manners where did you learn that it is acceptable to get off the boat and leave without helping with bring the fish up and sort them I call that chicken shit and self serving

15. tanner.s

tanner.s Fish Slaughterer

Name:
    Tanner
    Boat:
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Good on the captain for leaving those waters, storms are no joke. Sounds like a good trip whether you caught fish or not!

As for the captain Hopping on, I really can't see why it would be a problem as long as he isn't interfering with the experience. It wouldn't be like a restaurant owner eating at your table, it'd be like a restaurant owner sitting at the table next to you enjoying a meal from his own establishment. Now if he was being an ass, it's a different circumstance.

16. screamingreel

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hello Steve,

Al Gross joined us. No issues occurred like you mentioned. I know the crew put together rigs for him, but he did not fish as we only threw bait 4 times throughout the day and there were no takers. Not a big deal, it just struck me as strange to have him hop on board. I was not the only one who thought it was inappropriate. I am over it and looking forward to my next trip...

- Jeff Burroughs

17. screamingreel

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    I hear you Richard and totally agree.

Unfortunately there was a medical emergency that necessitated leaving immediately. First time in 20 years I was unable to help with unloading. I apologize if I caused anyone grief. I made sure to have the fish processor collect all of our fish.

- Jeff Burroughs

18. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    Why do long range guys bitch so much? Guess what, going long does not guarantee catching. Guess what, you can catch fish local too. Guess what, the skipper or deck hand cant magically get the fish to bite. Guess what, captains are human and sometime error is involved.

If you want to bitch about people not following directions, tangles ect, go fish pv or panama on a pb and get big tuna.

This is the most passive agressive post ever, you remind me of a pissed off woman.

Your lucky to experience that trip.

coatingspro51 likes this.
  19. hot tuna

hot tuna Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    clawfoot tub
    The Expectations have been set so high by the continued success of these late season long trips. So when a weather event forces an unplanned departure from the zone, one can easily sit back and scrutinize the details. This is only one person's perspective of how this Long Range Trip unfolded. I was also on this trip and experienced great camaraderie, laughs, food, friends and fishing. I accept that we don't need to plug the boat to have a fun-filled trip loaded with memories. Thanks Excel for another adventure out on the water.

Otis2527, sierraazuel, Atuna and 5 others like this.
  20. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    You might want to retract your very first post---not a good way to get started.