Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Hello everyone,

Just returned from a fun and somewhat exhausting 3-day trip on the Royal Star targeting BFT near the Coronado Islands on June 11-14th. The weather was relatively good and seas were mild. The fishing was decent for BFT. You had the opportunity for anything from 12-250lbs. We got 5 cows and 50 fish total for the boat. Most fish were caught at night. Everyone got at least one. Many of us were up 20 hours a day. I only used bait once and spent 30+ hours jigging on the trip. We were definitely wandering around like zombies in the wee hours off the night!

I had 5 bites total for the trip. I got one, was bit off (swallowed the jig leader and all) and had my 130 lbs. hollow spectra break about 175 yards-in on another. Both felt like really good fish, they pulled heavy drag for a couple of minutes. All three of these we on the retrieve. I was also bit twice on the fall. One of them I comically missed as I was goofing-off, the other I just plain missed it!

6.5-7.5' XXH or XXXH rod with a 2-speed 20 to 50 size reel
Flat-falls of every variety (250-330gr) Change the hooks and the assist cords. Nothing less than 100 lbs. test on the leaders - 200 lbs. is better
400 gram knife Jigs Change hooks. 200 lbs. leader
Sinker bait rigs (2/0 Owner Muttu size) with an 8-16 ounce weight rubber banded 4' above the hook.
100 gram Colt Snipers direct tied to 100 lbs.

As you would expect on a premier long range boat like the Royal Star, the crew and food were excellent! The charter group is superb. Very pleasant people who knew how to fish and we worked together well. 15 people total made it extra sweet! Maybe some of the others who were on the trip will chime-in. Looking forward to my RS 11-day in the fall.

Many thanks to everyone involved.

- Jeff Burroughs

themacs
themacs
Jeff, my body aches and back hurts now after reading this LOL. Glad you had a good time!
Upvote 0
hot tuna
hot tuna
Good ole Zombie fishing again!
Thanks for the report Jeff...
Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Hello everyone,

Just returned from a fun and somewhat exhausting 3-day trip on the Royal Star targeting BFT near the Coronado Islands on June 11-14th. The weather was relatively good and seas were mild. The fishing was decent for BFT. You had the opportunity for anything from 12-250lbs. We got 5 cows and 50 fish total for the boat. Most fish were caught at night. Everyone got at least one. Many of us were up 20 hours a day. I only used bait once and spent 30+ hours jigging on the trip. We were definitely wandering around like zombies in the wee hours off the night!

I had 5 bites total for the trip. I got one, was bit off (swallowed the jig leader and all) and had my 130 lbs. hollow spectra break about 175 yards-in on another. Both felt like really good fish, they pulled heavy drag for a couple of minutes. All three of these we on the retrieve. I was also bit twice on the fall. One of them I comically missed as I was goofing-off, the other I just plain missed it!

6.5-7.5' XXH or XXXH rod with a 2-speed 20 to 50 size reel
Flat-falls of every variety (250-330gr) Change the hooks and the assist cords. Nothing less than 100 lbs. test on the leaders - 200 lbs. is better
400 gram knife Jigs Change hooks. 200 lbs. leader
Sinker bait rigs (2/0 Owner Muttu size) with an 8-16 ounce weight rubber banded 4' above the hook.
100 gram Colt Snipers direct tied to 100 lbs.

As you would expect on a premier long range boat like the Royal Star, the crew and food were excellent! The charter group is superb. Very pleasant people who knew how to fish and we worked together well. 15 people total made it extra sweet! Maybe some of the others who were on the trip will chime-in. Looking forward to my RS 11-day in the fall.

Many thanks to everyone involved.

- Jeff Burroughs
If you're on the Tiburon 11 day, I will probably see you at the dock when you get back, I'm on the 10 day on the Star leaving the morning you get back. Would love to meet you!

Reactions: locvetter
Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Crazy thanks for the report!

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    If you're on the Tiburon 11 day, I will probably see you at the dock when you get back, I'm on the 10 day on the Star leaving the morning you get back. Would love to meet you!
    Hi Tom, I am on the Island Tackle trip 11/13.

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    My trip gets back on the 13th, might see you when I'm getting off the Star. That Island tak trip should be a good one.
    Tom, I will be there when you get back to the dock. Looking forward to meeting you, hearing about the trip and the latest insights! I am 6'5" and will probably be wearing a very large straw hat. Only 150 days to go...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

jimm

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 31, 2003
    North San Diego County
    Visit site
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    none
    Great report Jeff! I too was on the trip and Jeff nailed the details. A couple of items to add. Mark you spectra so you know how deep you are. This is critical as guessing your depth doesn't work. Once at the appropriate depth, jig the flat fall. This was a productive technique. Finally, fly-line baits or darts during the day, sunset and sunrise bait and sinker rigs appear to be preferred, and flat-falls at night. Great trip and a wonderful charter group to fish with.

Upvote 0