Zihuatanejo 4-21 and 4-23

Discussion in 'Mainland Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by pascuale, Apr 26, 2018.

1. pascuale

pascuale Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Just returned from a family trip to southern Mexico. Flew into Zihuatanejo on Friday and stayed at Aura Del Mar. Super nice place with incredible views of the bay. IMG_3791.JPG
    Fished Saturday and Monday with Santiago Valdovinos at Gitana Sportfishing for a few nice tuna up to 45lb and several Sailfish tag/releases using bait and KKPono Lures. Santiago runs a great operation down there and was worked very hard to get us on the fish both days. Jamie from KKPono was kind enough to expedite an order of lures to me just days before my trip that absolutely hammered the fish down there. Even got the wife on her first Sail!
    IMG_3815.jpg
    IMG_3792.jpg
    IMG_3828.JPG
    Santiago's sister owns a killer restaurant that made us some incredible sashimi with coconut prawns.
    IMG_3799.JPG
    IMG_3879.PNG
    We had a killer time down there. Great people, great food, and awesome fishing. :))

2. kodiak002

kodiak002 Newbie

Name:
    lundy
    Boat:
    silverback
    Thanks for the report. The wife and I are heading to Zihua in December. Staying at the same hotel.

3. esgeo

esgeo Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Awesome trip! How far out of the bay did you have to run? I wish I could buy a beer for whoever it is at the State Dept. who maintains the do not travel advisory to Guerrero.

Willdoggy likes this.
  4. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Lol, Yeah it was so nice down there. No problems, no issues. Everyone was super friendly and helpful everywhere we went. We fished 12 miles the second day and nailed the sailfish and smaller tuna on porpoise. The first day I wanted to go deep in search of bigger tune. We ran 50 miles to a temp break and found some bigger models on porpoise. Caught one about 50 lb and somehow lost the porpoise because it was a bit windy. Couldn't find them again.

Willdoggy, Whalebreath and esgeo like this.
  5. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Request to stay in rooms 16, 17, 18, or 19 as they are the highest up and have the most amazing views. You may want to request it now as thats a busy time. Super nice place if you have not stayed there before. Massages on the beach in front 200 pesos ($12). Fish with Santiago Valdovinos or Adan Valdovinos [email protected]
    Gitanasportfishing.com
    great boats, great gear, hard workers, very professional business.

6. kodiak002

kodiak002 Newbie

Name:
    lundy
    Boat:
    silverback
    Thanks for the Intel. :)

pascuale likes this.
  7. mrhoneydo

mrhoneydo Member

Name:
    michael willson
    Boat:
    Sea Ray 18" & Grady White 28 Marlin
    Thank you for the report!!! :urno1:
    I have been waiting for someone to write a decent report from Zihu for years now! I have always wanted to go down there. Even thought about moving my boat from PV down there, but couldn't any info about the fishing down there.
    Good move putting the wife on the sailfish! Pretty much guarantees a return trip!:chestram2

pascuale likes this.
  8. esgeo

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Cool! I usually fish on a regular panga up the coast a bit out of Majahua (Troncones area). Last December we saw the porpoise schools and trolled over them (probably only 5-7 miles offshore), but didn’t get bit on them. Maybe I need to order a couple of those lures for the spread! Glad you had such a successful trip.

pascuale likes this.
  9. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Yeah call up Jamie at kkponolures.com and tell him you need a few tuna, mahi lures. Mean joe green and purple worked well. Cedar plugs, and get two williamson speed pro 180's. The tuna love em.

esgeo likes this.
  10. pescadorzih

pescadorzih Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Aquaholic
    Looks like you had a good time in Z.
    Tuna are biting currently there now. Rooster fishing should start to pick up soon.
    We were down in July several yrs ago. Caught the one in my avatar there.
    Most fishing is done 2-10 miles offshore. Occasionally, some venture further out for tuna, up to 50+ miles.
    One good thing about Z is that it is usually like glass until around noon when a slight breeze kicks up. But, it only gets a slight chop in the afternoon.
    Most captains key on sailfish down there. Z is a good place to get your first billfish on a budget with multiple strikes a day the average.
    Santiago and Adan are 2 of the best down there. I fish with their nephew, Anuar, he is an upcoming captain down there. I've been supplying him with tackle the last few years as it is expensive down there.
    There is still some mentality down there with killing sailfish instead of releasing. Ed Kunze has been trying for yrs to change that mentality.
    We got on some porpoise when we were down in November with no luck. I have a vid of a sailfish release with 2 others under the boat as mine is released. Need to get it put up on YT.
    Just booked for November last week. 2 weeks, 4-5 days fishing.:cheers:

esgeo and pascuale like this.
  11. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Yeah Santiago and Adan tag and release billfish, fill out the tag form and give to you to mail in to the billfish foundation when you return to the states. Pretty cool as I don't think anyone else but maybe Ed does that. Have fun in November!

12. pescadorzih

pescadorzih Member

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Aquaholic
    Don't want to hijack your post @pascuale, but here is a link to the sail I caught and released last December with Santiago's nephew, Anuar. He runs the panga "Peregina" and also works at his mother Lety's restaurant.

At the end you can see the 2 other sails that were with the released one.

pascuale and esgeo like this.
  13. pascuale

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    nope
    Thats Awesome! cool video, especially the sails at the end.

esgeo likes this.
  14. esgeo

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    nope
    Yeah! That’s pretty surreal at the end- like the sailfish version of American Beauty with the bait sinking down. Nice work- cool to see how much care those guys take. Great to know for next time. Thanks for sharing y’all.

15. Mr.snook

Mr.snook Member

Name:
    Carlos Ernesto Sanchez Borbolla
    Boat:
    SNOOK MAFIA
    Well done!!

16. Si Como No

Si Como No Newbie

Name:
    JR
    Boat:
    not yet
    Right on Ethan!

pascuale likes this.
  17. Rapala

Rapala Newbie

Name:
    Julian
    Boat:
    Pecador
    Check out Blue Water Tours for all your Mexico Fishing Needs!