Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Capt Devo
Boat Name
Kristan K
It’s in the original post.
The CG will be pissed at anyone for bugging them about fishing and nothing to do with "Rules of the Road" especially with no collision. Captain Chris Pica on the Reel Fun is an awesome 5th Issue/20 year/100 Ton Master/Towing and Radar Endorsed Deck Officer with a solid safety record so who is the CG going to believe if you are dumb enough to bring this to this to them? Maybe just suck this one up I suppose, at least you got dinner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
Maybe next year invest in one of these?

61ZvK9bPMOL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Amazon product

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    Havent been able to get out much lately, so I decided to take my son and his buddy out to chase these Dorado last Thursday just outside of Dana Point. Wind was supposed to get nasty around noon. Figured it would be a quick trip with a chance at some quality dodo.
    Right out the gate we find a good patty about 4 miles out loaded with Dorado but can’t get them to go. We keep moving and find another one about 7 miles out, also loaded. I tell the boys to grab a bait and I grab a hot bait and butt hook it and down it goes. Bait is on fire then it gets picked up….I wait and wait then put it in gear. Solid Mahi doing full blown flips out the water. We are still pretty close to the patty so I tell the boys to keep the lines in the water. Just as I’m saying that I see a commercial boat burning towards us. Im on light line so I’m playing the fish and this kook literally drives right through the kelp with his bow. At this point I’m in shock that this is a charter boat. It’s the Reel Fun out of Dana. I’m just shaking my head. We get the Dorado in and don’t even try another pass as the boat is now parked with half the kelp under his boat. We found one other kelp that day but couldn’t get em to go. We did run out to the 14 but the water was 70 ( four degrees cooler than where we found the fish) and very lifeless. Wind came up and we headed in with just the one. It was my PB Dorado but the kids got skunked.
    That was our only real shot at biting fish for the day and it was ruined by a boat that I would think had more common sense. Oh well, still had a great time close to the beach. We’ll get em next time.

View attachment 1413816

View attachment 1413817
    I'm glad you told this story, I for one am sick and tired of getting the regular lecture from "the pros", when in fact, rudeness belongs to BOTH sides, just depending on the day and situation.

Upvote 0

Isaltyvair1980

Isaltyvair1980
    Nov 4, 2019
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Isaiah
    Boat Name
    2002 Edgewater 185
    The CG will be pissed at anyone for bugging them about fishing and nothing to do with "Rules of the Road" especially with no collision. Captain Chris Pica on the Reel Fun is an awesome 5th Issue/20 year/100 Ton Master/Towing and Radar Endorsed Deck Officer with a solid safety record so who is the CG going to believe if you are dumb enough to bring this to this to them? Maybe just suck this one up I suppose, at least you got dinner.
    Not sure I said anything about calling the CG. Definitely wouldn’t think they need to waste their time with this nor was anything done that was a safety issue.
    Im sure the Captain is all of those things, and I respect that. Doesn’t change what happened that day and regardless we still had a great time on the water.
    Just bitching out loud and sucking it up. Got a fish and didn’t sink the boat. That’s always a good day:)

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Capt Devo
    Boat Name
    Kristan K
    Not sure I said anything about calling the CG. Definitely wouldn’t think they need to waste their time with this nor was anything done that was a safety issue.
    Im sure the Captain is all of those things, and I respect that. Doesn’t change what happened that day and regardless we still had a great time on the water.
    Just bitching out loud and sucking it up. Got a fish and didn’t sink the boat. That’s always a good day:)

Your correct one of the other repliers said you should report the captain not you. Unfortunately, these skippers are under tremendous pressure to try to make a living off a tough fishery that is under intense pressure he has to compete with the much faster center console boats. Interesting it had to be the Reel Fun a fully licensed, certified and inspected boat but the one that is the oldest and slowest of the passenger vessels on the coast built in 1955. Consider that the captain with 20 brain dead skiffs in tow may have seen the pattie on his Gyros well before anyone else but can only go 12 knots to get to it. This scenario happens time and again so of course Sport Boat captains are going to take whatever scraps they can get whenever they can, it's not a perfect system. I would always error on the side of caution and make a special announcement over the loudspeaker for my passengers not to cast anything near or around the other boats. Your report was one of these dramatic threads that have long legs and last long time, always worthy of popcorn and a Corona or 4.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0