Offshore Zero etiquette SMH with a side of Dorado

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat Name
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Havent been able to get out much lately, so I decided to take my son and his buddy out to chase these Dorado last Thursday just outside of Dana Point. Wind was supposed to get nasty around noon. Figured it would be a quick trip with a chance at some quality dodo.
Right out the gate we find a good patty about 4 miles out loaded with Dorado but can’t get them to go. We keep moving and find another one about 7 miles out, also loaded. I tell the boys to grab a bait and I grab a hot bait and butt hook it and down it goes. Bait is on fire then it gets picked up….I wait and wait then put it in gear. Solid Mahi doing full blown flips out the water. We are still pretty close to the patty so I tell the boys to keep the lines in the water. Just as I’m saying that I see a commercial boat burning towards us. Im on light line so I’m playing the fish and this kook literally drives right through the kelp with his bow. At this point I’m in shock that this is a charter boat. It’s the Reel Fun out of Dana. I’m just shaking my head. We get the Dorado in and don’t even try another pass as the boat is now parked with half the kelp under his boat. We found one other kelp that day but couldn’t get em to go. We did run out to the 14 but the water was 70 ( four degrees cooler than where we found the fish) and very lifeless. Wind came up and we headed in with just the one. It was my PB Dorado but the kids got skunked.
That was our only real shot at biting fish for the day and it was ruined by a boat that I would think had more common sense. Oh well, still had a great time close to the beach. We’ll get em next time.

View attachment 1413816

View attachment 1413817
Take a picture or it didn't happen. If it was me, I would have run your lines over, turned the screws double to smoke you out and then parked on your patty. Then I would have hung a limit in your face.

Just kidding Isaiah. It's brian! Cattle captains are asshats except today we actually had my first pleasant experience with a cattle boat. It was the enterprise and he had good etiquette and even gave a shout out in the loud speaker thanking us. 1:1,000,000

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Is this one of the reasons why some people prefer to own and fish off of their private boat, rather than jumping on a party boat?
    It’s the only reason! I don’t do party boats and rarely go on someone else’s sled,
    Id be stoked broken down in the Middle of the ocean fishing by myself rather than elbow to elbow with a bunch of knucklefucks.
    Owning a boat is NOT for everybody it’s a major pain in the ass and a financial burden but The memories made with family and friends are priceless , I wouldn’t have it any other way🤙

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Belvedere
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2820
    I’ve been set up for lobster at Catalina three different times when a charter would come in and set right on top of us and barreling in countless times Fishing local and at the island, they own the ocean
    I might be inclined to run in circles around the asshat combat boat just out of casting range......after all it's an open ocean correct. Just practicing my maneuvering :cheers:

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    We were out Tuesday, finally found a patty near the S.9 to fish. Here comes a sportie charging in, we figure the worst. It's the Mission Belle. Goes right past us, respectible distance, and keeps going. Nice-did not catch anything, but thought I would mention it.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    If you spend enough time on the water... as a Skipper.... and Charter Capt.... you eventually developed relationships with some of those "Sportboat" skippers.... you have to. I have called in so many Sportboats to great bites after we got things really going. Of course.... I used discretion. Not just any bite.... but when the right situation arises ....make a friend..... AND an investment in your future angling success. My first few seasons... running Charters were tough.. Consistancy is your friend... when your business depends on it!

Called in "Stick Boats"... when we saw the swordies.... did all of that willingly. Maybe not everytime.... but man did the "intel" go FULL CIRCLE!! Many days.... we saved each other's butt.... and covered twice the ground. Eventually made the spotter plane contacts... this was 30 years ago. Anyways.... not ALL Sportboat Skippers are asshats.

Why would you CALL EM IN? Simple.... diverse sources of "intel". I learned long ago as a "pinhead".... your only as good as TODAYS fish count!! By sharing.... with the "right" Skippers.... the right info.... that helped them considerably that day.... they dont forget. Their JOB is to catch fish.... make the customer happy. Those who never returned the favor.... after a few times.... too bad.... won't share with him anymore...period. So.... it works both ways.... sometimes "Professionally" .... sometimes "Personally".

Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Drew Stephens
    Boat Name
    Sunbird Neptune 230
    This happened a couple times to us this season. I think they're watching the fish on their sonar and not looking at the paddy and accidentally ran it over. Dorado usually make rounds around the boat(s) so you could have kept fishing and probably stuck some more. Obviously the cattle boats have a better drawing power to chum but if you keep a steady chum of chunks flowing youll get wolf packs coming up the line to your boat and youll still catch them. Dorado and boat shy havnt been a thing this year. Thats why the gang bangs of boats on a paddy always hammer them

Upvote 0

Isaltyvair1980

Isaltyvair1980
    Nov 4, 2019
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Isaiah
    Boat Name
    2002 Edgewater 185
    Not defending him , but these dorado aren't really boat shy, I would have definitely kept fishing that spot. Especially if the charter started chumming
    This day they were pretty finicky in general so it didn’t help. None of their passengers hooked up either.
    Trips since then, we’ve actually hailed fleet boats in on good paddies.

Upvote 0

Isaltyvair1980

Isaltyvair1980
    Nov 4, 2019
    Santa Ana
    Name
    Isaiah
    Boat Name
    2002 Edgewater 185
    If you spend enough time on the water... as a Skipper.... and Charter Capt.... you eventually developed relationships with some of those "Sportboat" skippers.... you have to. I have called in so many Sportboats to great bites after we got things really going. Of course.... I used discretion. Not just any bite.... but when the right situation arises ....make a friend..... AND an investment in your future angling success. My first few seasons... running Charters were tough.. Consistancy is your friend... when your business depends on it!

Called in "Stick Boats"... when we saw the swordies.... did all of that willingly. Maybe not everytime.... but man did the "intel" go FULL CIRCLE!! Many days.... we saved each other's butt.... and covered twice the ground. Eventually made the spotter plane contacts... this was 30 years ago. Anyways.... not ALL Sportboat Skippers are asshats.

Why would you CALL EM IN? Simple.... diverse sources of "intel". I learned long ago as a "pinhead".... your only as good as TODAYS fish count!! By sharing.... with the "right" Skippers.... the right info.... that helped them considerably that day.... they dont forget. Their JOB is to catch fish.... make the customer happy. Those who never returned the favor.... after a few times.... too bad.... won't share with him anymore...period. So.... it works both ways.... sometimes "Professionally" .... sometimes "Personally".
    Love this. And yes we also have called in fleet boats on several occasions where the situation called for it. It’s always good to spread then Aloha.
    This situation in particular just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Capt Devo
    Boat Name
    Kristan K
    Chris has lot of little kid's on board these trips I feel so sad if they don't catch anything, you can check out there dock total at danawharf.com/fishcounts/ to see how they did. I'm sure they are all over caring what anyone thinks about sharing the love. You will learn to just leave when you see them coming or ask for a couple cheese burgers see what they say...lol.

Reactions: Isaltyvair1980
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Cool report and Pics, and good job Dad! Nice Dorado. The boys look stoked! By the way...
    Next time look for PADDIES (ae=Paddy, a pad of kelp in the Ocean) LOL
    Those Patties were always a tough date, and rejection was common in High School. LOL
    Artist: Adolescents

The walls are closing in on me
    I don't know what to do

I don't know what to do
    Please tell me who is who
    Tell me who is who
    Tell me who is who

A patty is something formed into a flat, small cake. The word patty is most often used when describing food, such as a meat patty or a peppermint candy patty. Patty is also used to describe a flat unit of excrement from a cow or buffalo. When capitalized, as in Patty, it is the nickname for the female names Patricia or Patience. The word patty is derived from the French word pâté, because the English word, patty, originally referred to a pie baked in a small pan. The plural form is patties.

A paddy is a rice field. The plural is paddies. Rice paddies must have standing water to produce a crop, unlike most grains. When capitalized, Paddy is a nickname for Padraig. The word paddy is derived from padi, the Austronesian word for rice in the straw.

Reactions: Capt Devo
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several

I don't know what to do

I don't know what to do
    Tell me who is who
    Tell me who is who

A patty is something formed into a flat, small cake. The word patty is most often used when describing food, such as a meat patty or a peppermint candy patty. Patty is also used to describe a flat unit of excrement from a cow or buffalo. When capitalized, as in Patty, it is the nickname for the female names Patricia or Patience. The word patty is derived from the French word pâté, because the English word, patty, originally referred to a pie baked in a small pan. The plural form is patties.

A paddy is a rice field. The plural is paddies. Rice paddies must have standing water to produce a crop, unlike most grains. When capitalized, Paddy is a nickname for Padraig. The word paddy is derived from padi, the Austronesian word for rice in the straw.

Well there you have it. LOL. I tend to keep it simple. A pattie of hamburger....or a Paddy of floating kelp fish surround and birds poop on. LOL LOL. Aware of rice paddies too! LOL TC

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Well there you have it. LOL. I tend to keep it simple. A pattie of hamburger....or a Paddy of floating kelp fish surround and birds poop on. LOL LOL. Aware of rice paddies too! LOL TC
    Is it not the shape of a "flat unit of excrement from a cow or buffalo?" ha

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

saltwaters

Sep 4, 2003
    offshore
    Name
    none
    Boat Name
    none
    Havent been able to get out much lately, so I decided to take my son and his buddy out to chase these Dorado last Thursday just outside of Dana Point. Wind was supposed to get nasty around noon. Figured it would be a quick trip with a chance at some quality dodo.
    Right out the gate we find a good patty about 4 miles out loaded with Dorado but can’t get them to go. We keep moving and find another one about 7 miles out, also loaded. I tell the boys to grab a bait and I grab a hot bait and butt hook it and down it goes. Bait is on fire then it gets picked up….I wait and wait then put it in gear. Solid Mahi doing full blown flips out the water. We are still pretty close to the patty so I tell the boys to keep the lines in the water. Just as I’m saying that I see a commercial boat burning towards us. Im on light line so I’m playing the fish and this kook literally drives right through the kelp with his bow. At this point I’m in shock that this is a charter boat. It’s the Reel Fun out of Dana. I’m just shaking my head. We get the Dorado in and don’t even try another pass as the boat is now parked with half the kelp under his boat. We found one other kelp that day but couldn’t get em to go. We did run out to the 14 but the water was 70 ( four degrees cooler than where we found the fish) and very lifeless. Wind came up and we headed in with just the one. It was my PB Dorado but the kids got skunked.
    That was our only real shot at biting fish for the day and it was ruined by a boat that I would think had more common sense. Oh well, still had a great time close to the beach. We’ll get em next time.

View attachment 1413816

View attachment 1413817
    nice fish and report except for the part where the dana boat screwed you over. I hope you have photos of it. Report this action to the fish and game and/or coast guard. Call the landing and bitch them out. Most likely nothing will be done to stop it but maybe they will get embarrassed enough to stop these antics. These are the tactics that give the sport boat captains the bad name they deserve.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    Lily pats?
    Lily pads?

A patty is something you pat together, right?

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Capt Devo
    Boat Name
    Kristan K

I don't know what to do

I don't know what to do
    Tell me who is who
    Tell me who is who

This is the Dirty Little Secret of the Etiquette of the California Kelp Paddie:

We Algae Lovers are reaping the rewards of what Sport Boats at anchor with there unintentional screwed up anchor set on the kelp line fishing bass and short barricuda with every reset ripping out huge sections of kelp so much that the deckhand has to go into the galley and get the old rusty fillet knife from behind the counter and hack hundreds of pounds of kelp off the anchor all while chewing the rest of it up in the props astern. It's not just the party boats as a lot of these leafy greens are displaced because the skiffs only have 10 feet of anchor chain and they get blown into the kelp beds in the afternoon. Now stuck they have to gun there outboard full rack through the entire kelp bed ripping it to peices and scaring all the Kelpfish, Perches and Blacksmiths half to death. Without it's rock to anchor it in place this massive trail of disenfranchised slippery fly infested algae has nowhere to go on it's own but we secretly are all happy about this turn of misfortunes.

This kelp carnage happens mostly when and after the wind has picked up in the afternoon and on a hightide or big swell event. Now with the tide shifting and with the current now screaming this dispaced Giant of the Kelps is at the mercy of not only the wind, tide but the current aswell. We have all sadly seen this scenario while offshore those poor stranded Blue Perch, Opaleye and even Garibadi in 5000 feet of water following there lost habitat out to sea with there fate unknown it's quite sad and distressful for any nature lover involved. Our breathren up in the North Coast and out at the Channel Islands like to blame these dying disgaurded paddies of kelp on the Purple Sea Urchin chewing off just the tasty roots or holdfasts of these Giants of Giants the "Bull Kelp" just try getting this spectra of the kelps off your anchor or out of your props it is just another nighmare for this wonderful algae and your impellers.

When a paddie doesn't pays out while we burn the $6.00 gas and it's engine destroying Ethanol we beat ourselfs up for not springing on the latest and greatest pair of Costa sunglasses and the $5000.00 pair of stabilized binoculors we just curse at the paddie and soon leave. The paddie doesn't know all we are trying to do is impress our friends bloody up our new Fish Works short and vacume pack fish all night while dead tired all this for the BBQ the following day. Most don't stop to consider the over all trauma of the now rotting sea plant that will soon sink out and decompose. We cannot help but to stop and check in with the larger kelp paddie time and time again just to see who it is entertaining. Kelp is the only offshore landing pad for the tired out Seagull with a hook in it's beak or the yappy Terns we owe so much to and a hang out for a wayward balloon from a five year olds birthday party in Tarzana it's helium long expended. This kelp could be the glory hole with one stop shopping a large selection of Tuna Yellowtail and Dorado or just a lonely outpost for the mola mola, anchovey or sardine, maybe just a place to loose a new circle hook. This simple entanglement of seaweed we freek out over continues to be the one hope after another and another that all is not lost on your massive investment on time and resourses. Let's give it up for the California Kelp Paddie and share them together as brothers in one, it is the least we can do for something that asks so little of us.

Capt Devo

Last edited:

Bend Session

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    What is kelp paddy?

A kelp paddy is a free floating mat consisting of loose kelp blades, stipes, fronds, air bladders, and dislodged holdfasts. Kelp paddies are formed when pieces of kelp along the rocky coastlines or shallow reefs are broken off or dislodged at the holdfasts. They often result in boating skirmishes where anglers toss obsenities at each other. During the first world war, Kelp was at the epicenter of the battle that resulted in several casualties in the pacific. More recently, Kelp has been infused with marijuana and sold under the snoop dogg name brand. At the time of this writting, the Woke community has identified Kelp as a non-binary organism and it has been socially unacceptable to reference Kelp without the phrase of "they, their, them". Looking forwared to 2035, California is looking to place Kelp under the protected species act and add specially taxes for Anglers who wish to fish Kelp within 25 yards of the paddy.

Upvote 0