ZANE GREY

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by surfnbrett, Aug 16, 2014.

1. surfnbrett

surfnbrett Deckhand

Name:
    B
    Boat:
    PARKER
    Anyone know if the Zane Grey is having their tournament today? can't find the sign ups or dates or anything. Need some info and a link would be even better. Thanks a lot

2. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    The billfish series is no longer.

3. Offshorleg

Offshorleg Newbie

Name:
    Garbo
    Boat:
    Pilar
    I learned how to swim in Zane Greys pool.

The tournament was always in September, but as already posted is not being held anymore.

With any luck it will return and you and I will do battle.

Make a wish tournament is upcoming...

4. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    It seems so strange that those tournament just suddenly went away!

I remember the Catalina Gold cup, and then the Catalina Classic, as well as the Zane Grey just to mention a few.

Catalina was hoping with action in September..... the town was alive with 100+ Yachts and lots of serious fisherman and good times.

Too bad it's gone...... this would have been a good year!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

5. surfnbrett

surfnbrett Deckhand

Name:
    B
    Boat:
    PARKER
  6. Puddlin Jack

Puddlin Jack Registered Abuser

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    Cabo 38
    Seems there are multiple reasons for the tournaments going away.

First, the marlin fishing pretty much sucked for the past 3 or 4 seasons and I believe some tournaments even had 0 fish. Hard to get people fired up for 2 or 3 days of catching nothing.

Second, hard to compete with the swordfish captains who have spotter planes and info networks giving them huge advantages over the recreational marlin guys.

7. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    I agree the marlin fishing was very off for at least the past 3 years. That said, and only my opinion, but I do believe it will bounce back and be pretty damn good again. I remember fishing these tournaments and while glassing I would also jot down hook-up info as it came in. In many of these tournaments and for numerous years, the amount of hook-ups were incredible!

There can only really be one Swordfish Captain that you are refering too, and with all due respect, I don't believe there was ever any cheating taking place.

They started off as Team Trauma and then became Team Bad Company........ the Captain was as good as they come IMO and the crew was top notch as well. Sure they also had great intel before the tournament as well as many boats having code groups and sharing info amongst a select few. But the overall knowledge and the flat out hard work of being in a decent area and glassing non stop and HARD is what lead them to be consistent winners IMO.

Also you have to remember that only the Zane Grey tournament was a point tournament, with very few fish taken, and instead was set up in a way where points were accumulated for fish released as well as one large fish kept. The Zane grey was very high on the skill level type tournament in order to win.

The Catalina Gold cup which then became the Catalina Classic was much more of a anybody can win type tournament, as it was a big fish tournament and that right there is mostly dumb luck.

The unknown fisherman:p:

8. Offshorleg

Offshorleg Newbie

Name:
    Garbo
    Boat:
    Pilar
    I'm going to have to concur with the unknown fisherman.

I seriously doubt Steve needs a plane to find fish. It has been written, that he has years of notes on his charts and other logs about his sword fishing days and marlin fishing. The guy knows the waters and how to take advantage of ever changing conditions.

His advantage is his unrelenting nature.

As for the tournaments, the lack of fish in recent years caused the tournaments to disappear. However they will return and when they do we can have a whole new appreciation for them.

I wouldn't mind trying my dumb luck against the best of the best
    someday...

9. Puddlin Jack

Puddlin Jack Registered Abuser

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    Cabo 38
    I'm not saying there was any sort of cheating at all, knowledge is power. I'm just saying that it's hard to put up those entry fee's and jackpots as a recreational fisherman when you are up against professionals.

The information gap was nothing unknown, as a matter of fact during the last few years before the tournaments ended, they split the field into professional and amateur. I think this actually made things worse since it just created 2 smaller prize pools.

Marlin fishing is back and after seeing the Pescador go 7 for 14 locally a few days ago, it sucks there are none of these money tournaments next month.

10. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    At least we still have the fun tourney coming up. I don't stand a snowballs chance against anyone but I do have fun!!