Yummy /frenzy flyer for big tuna

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by vegasandre, Jan 14, 2015.

1. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    On my trip last March there was an insane bite on flying fish at Hurricane Bank.
    The Tuna were totally keyed up on them and doing aerial assaults for a few days straight all around us on the Excel. No matter where you looked Tuna were chasing Flyers.

I am thinking for my next trip(hopefully soon) to partake in purchasing some Yummy/frenzy/Charkbait Flyers to add to my arsenal.

Now I know a great way to fish them is slow trolling the Yummy's and Kite fishing the Yummy's which probably aren't optional on a LR boat most times.

What are some other options that you think may work while fishing at the rail? I know in the Gulf of Mexico they have a great night bite technique where they cast the flyers out like a popper and just pop it slowly or even drift /twitch it.

I was thinking Balloon fishing them somehow. Obviously a Helium Balloon would be optimal but may not be practical due to the Helium issue (though I have been thinking of buying one of those small helium tanks at party city )

-What do you think the best type of Flyer would be?
    -How would you rig it and fish it?

thanks

Andre

norcaltunaclub and BarryG like this.
  2. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    I took a helium bottle with large balloon to the Lupe once and during pretty good winds I was making one skip and jump all over the water on its' way out.
    Looked cool as can be, but I never got bit that day. Couldn't figure out why not, other than there just were no tuna looking, because it looked REAL FISHY going out.

But,I have seen them get bit under kite, balloon and being skipped behind the boat. It works, get some.

vegasandre likes this.
  3. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none
    Hey Andre, I think you would need the larger sized ballons than your standard sized baloons for the flyers. If you use the helium tanks that look like small propane tanks, there may not be enough psi to blow up multiple larger baloons. You may have to get a 10 pound bottle than can handle 1000 plus PSI to blow up the larger baloons and have plenty of gas for your trip. Something to consider.

vegasandre likes this.
  4. PCH

PCH El Nino 2015!!!!!!

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Gregor 20
    I fished the maximus and they put em out on the kite with a baloon attached and we trolled them pretty fast. They skip like crazy and have incredible action presented like this. That was just about the coolest blow ups I have ever seen and it accounted for most of the fish on a slow bite.

5. norcaltunaclub

norcaltunaclub www.octunaclub.com

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris
    Andre - send a pm to BarryG. He can tell you exactly what to use and do. I witnessed Barry rigging and bouncing his yummee flier on the Excel and saw a cow jump about 6-8 ft clear out of the water trying to grab it....it was awesome. As a matter of fact....I need to ask him too before my next trip!

vegasandre likes this.
  6. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    We do pitch downwind on the drift, and pop them. Not the most aerodynamic toy in the box, but our night time yft's really like them. Our grade of fish is mostly 50-100 pound, so fishing them on a 700H with a AvetLX with 50 topshot works well. Leaving in 24 hours with a good weather window....

vegasandre likes this.
  7. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    John let me know how you do. Is it a Scat Cat trip? Thanks for the info. Have a great trip!

8. vegasandre

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:

Hi Doug,
    Just sent Barry a PM. A cow jumping 6 feet out of water after a Yummy is a good thing! Thanks

9. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Yup, Scat Cat. One step above camping...Looks like a great weather window has opened, and as a possible bonus, AJ season is open.

10. PATYMELTER1

PATYMELTER1 Newbie

Name:
    PATRICK
    Boat:
    SECOND CHANCE
    Has anybody used the "trolling" yummy? Weighted head , no wings. I purchased one standard and one floating style but was not in the right situation to use it. Both rigged "Excel style" with a j-hook and a large treble stinger. I would love to be on that bite! Maybe next year.

11. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    I've heard it works great on the kite. Let it out and bring it back and work the bait. And it's awesome when the cow blows up on it. :)