Yummy Bites 7/22

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by oceanski, Jul 23, 2017.

1. oceanski

oceanski Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Taylor O
    Boat:
    2003 Davis Bahia
    Short report: caught two fish on the yummy

Long version: Met up with Dave, Max and JT at Dana Landing shortly after 6am. We all agreed to make the trek out 60-80 miles in search of the jumbos. Launched and were on the water by 6:30am. We decided to pass on bait and make a few macs instead. Made about 30 pieces at the mouth of the harbor and headed out towards the 43. Shortly before the 43 we stopped on a few nice kelps with nothing home. Water on top of the 43 was 75 degrees and loaded with bait but no fish around. (We did hear of a radio yellowfin caught in the area.) Decided to leave the 43 and keep pushing west in search of cleaner and colder water. We arrived on 72 degree water and found a good sized kelp that we decided to fish. Nothing home but I kept my eyes peeled on the horizon. Saw a spot of foamers and thought small yellowfin. But when they got closer we realized they were small BFT. We threw some lures at them but couldn't get close enough to make a worthy cast. We knew we were in the right zone so we decided it was time to deploy the kite. Got the kite up and flying and attached the yummy... Before the Yummy was out of the wake Dave and I saw an explosion right in front of the Yummy. (Dave still had the rod in his hands at this point.) about 3 seconds later I hear "hook up!" and I gas it. The line tightens up and we can tell it's a good fish by the way it's taking line off the Mak50. (First bite at noon.) Fought the fish at the surface for about 20 minutes and it was 40 feet straight down beneath the boat. The fish decided to take a quick run and I saw the rod go from fully bent to slack and heard a big snap. This rod was less than a month old. (Not going to mention the brand of the rod unless the manufacturer doesn't replace it due to defect.) After the rod snapped, I let out a few choice words but Dave knew the fish was still there. We reeled the fish up from depth with the 4' section of the rod we still had. Got the fish close to the boat and we sunk 3 gaffs in it. High fives all around and time to crack a celebratory cerveza. We got the deck back in order, fish in a kill bag and Mak50 on a new rod and motored back down to the area we got bit. Trolled for 3 more hours for no luck. Around 3pm we tried a different zone that looked fishy. I spotted a few boils way in the distance and set us on course for the boils. The fish sunk out but I was metering them down at 120 feet. As soon as we hit an area with a ton of big marks I hollered to the guys "get ready." A few seconds later a big fish blows up the yummy and we're bit again! This fish has a little more fight than the first one. 45 minute fight and it's next to the boat. We stick 3 gaffs in the fish and can't believe it. 2 huge fish on board. We had to rearrange the kill bag to fit the second fish. Trolled around for one more blowup but the fish didn't stick. Decided to call it a day at 7pm and started our long journey back home. Back to the dock around 10pm and left the lot at 10:30. By the time I got home and finished cleaning the boat it was 2am. We all agreed to cut up the fish in the morning because we were tired from a long day. Met up this morning at 8:30 and cut up the meat. We all took home a LOT of fish.

Had a blast fishing with these guys! Total team effort and our plan worked out. Nothing but good vibes the whole time.

We have flown the kite for days without a bite but these two fish made up for the previous skunks. Two solid fish in one day. A day we'll always remember.

Thanks for reading and good luck to you out there!

IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2516.JPG IMG_2522.JPG IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2541.JPG IMG_2551.JPG IMG_2553.JPG IMG_2554.JPG IMG_2555.JPG

IMG_2512.JPG

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Jason, sueno, Shameless1 and 44 others like this.
  2. GOFAST88

GOFAST88 WORKHARD-FISHHARD

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner
    Love it! Nice job!!

3. 26grumpy

26grumpy who hooked who

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Freefrom Boats Club
    Sick!!!

4. Pitman

Pitman Member

Name:
    Pitman
    Boat:
    POS
    Great report!!!

5. NoLDR

NoLDR OG BD member

Name:
    BRAD
    Boat:
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
  6. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Way to get it done! Nice work!

7. Rich Fagner

Rich Fagner Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    Patron
    What a day to remember

8. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Great job guys!

9. fishymeister

fishymeister Raunchy Ryan

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    15' Triumph CC 'Bic Juan'
    Super cool! Thanks for the report.

10. Mcgyver

Mcgyver Catcher of fish, releaser of few!

Name:
    David Mcgyver
    Boat:
    17.5' Seafair Sedan, Sea Hag
    It was awesome being there. Truth is there was a lot of beating up on those fish by everyone. The first hook up was surreal with the yummy only touching down for less than a minute after putting it out. I was saying I can feel it skipping and I think wait, as the line comes tight and I just start reeling and yell "We're on!" Taylor hits the gas and now it is really tight, that Mak50 is a beast, with 200lbs test, JT had monster tamer for sure. Later I tried to pull the drag out by hand and I couldn't...and I thought I liked a tight drag. After getting floored once by the fish, I put the rod in the holder and cranked on it. Even then I got tired and let JT or Max take over, I tried the harness with that 7+foot rail rod, with a long butt and got floored again. I passed the rod to Max, now back into the holder and grabbed a gaff. This is about the time it got really ugly and the rod snapped after I showed him the gaff and he ran under the boat. Everybody was thinking it was over, but JT at least laid down over the transom and kept the fish out of the motor, Max turned the handle backwards and we got a real chance at gaff. A little frightened, admittedly and not my usual demeanor, I gaff him the belly and show him who is coming to dinner. Tommy grabs another gaff and sinks it in close to mine. Taylor gets the third and we now have a mostly caught fish. Those damn things are not easy to get over the rail when you are spent, one bent gaff later and we had the fish in the boat. Yummy treble tried to impale JT, but mostly got his shorts, mostly! And that was just the first fish...the next one was a little bit more by the book. Shots of JT and Max. More to come.

Max Tuna Cranking.jpg Tommy Tuna.jpg

11. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Great job out there!
    Hopefully the midweek bite will be in effect.
    Thanks

12. 2052Trophy

2052Trophy Ray

Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    2601 Striper WA
    Congrats! Your perseverance paid off! Beautiful fish, I was out there Friday with the skunk....glad you found 'em

13. G Boland

G Boland Newbie

Name:
    Gary Boland
    Boat:
    32 ft uniflite
    thanks for the report and congrats. Fish On!

14. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    World Cat 270sc
    That's bad ass!!! We were out there Friday trolling over gnarly meter marks till almost 8pm and didn't get bit. That's the dream day right there!

15. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Nice fish, way to put in the effort...and good intel. Thanks LOL

Pgnracr likes this.
  16. Salty Paul

Salty Paul XIPHIAS GLADIUS

Name:
    Salty Paul
    Boat:
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    Great job, must have been quite a good feeling when you got bit setting up the yummie. The broken rod looks like one of three I have by that manufacturer. However, I am often wrong, and I hope I am this time.

Salty Paul

17. Tvdan

Tvdan Captain

Name:
    Dan Hernandez
    Boat:
    Mi Sueno
    well done!

Pgnracr likes this.
  18. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Wow, what a day. Congrats. Thanks Id gladly break any rod in my quiver to land either one of those fish. Well done. And yeah, I got a cpl of them rods too. Surprised you broke one.

19. soopaflyjm1

soopaflyjm1 Member

Name:
    J Money
    Boat:
    Reel Fun
    Shocked that Invictus snapped. I'm sure you will get another one free

20. Salty Paul

Salty Paul XIPHIAS GLADIUS

Name:
    Salty Paul
    Boat:
    Grady White 208 Adventure
    Sometimes it is nice to be wrong. Regardless, I would bet that the manufacturer will replace that rod.
    Salty Paul