fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Josh or anyone else have you guys used the Yummee flying fish or the Williamson "Little Tunny" lures in PV for the tuna?????

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
I used the flyer for about 10 minutes in PV just to try it. It drew fish but only the small ones. I've heard that the long range guys love those thigs when they cant get the real thing.

Barrett

ifish42na

No Bad Days
Oct 23, 2004
Harrington Park, NJ
www.bhptackle.com
Name
Basil
Boat
Friends With Boats
We hooked up on TINKNOCKER with a Yummee Flyer under a helium balloon trolled 100 yards back at 3 knots. The fish crashed the bait 3 or 4 times and finally got the hook. Came tight quickly on a 25 foot FC topshot and he was ours.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
Josh was using them as well with some success this year. I don't think they'll replace a lively bait, but they will work.

I'm adding a few to the stash for this season. I guess the rubber medium size squids will work as well.

capt josh

Sep 5, 2004
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Name
Capt Josh Temple
Boat
"MAXIMO" 57 Dean Johnson & "CONQUISTADOR" 40 Cabo Express
Yes the fliers, squid, ballyhoo, GULP crabs, and rubber skipjack all work...trolled, under a balloon and under a kite...sunk out on weights, flylined etc...sometimes they work better than live bait...just like poppers...

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Thanks guys for the replies ....I guess I'll bring some of each down with me ....I'm planning on fishing for a week in early Oct

Nov 9, 2005
U.S.
Name
Jeff
Boat
"NAU-SEA"
As far as trolling goes we ran the flyers at trolling speed (around 8 knots) and it did a little to much flying but at lower speed it looked pretty good...I was realy impressed at the Williamson tuna...We have to give it a go when the the fish are really here but that tuna ran awsome at trolling speed...Stayed below the surface well and will for sure bring up some fish...Maybe only a one shot deal considering how soft the rubber is though...Oh well,you could spend that much in fuel just trying to catch bait in some places.

Jeff www.notoriousfishing.com

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
At least it a option if making bait is difficult....and IMO it's always better to be lucky than just good....

Gmoney!

Eat Chicken, not Marlin:)
Aug 31, 2005
Murrieta
Name
G
Boat
nope
Bullshipper posted on here about an article one of the LR captains wrote on how they use them... one method I found interesting and plan on using next time I am down there and we are drifting with kites or balloons... is to put the flyer on a balloon and let it out, and then retrieve it back slowly, skipping it over the water....working it back and forth from the boat....like casting the rangers except no thumb burning or having to worry about backlash...I just may give it a try if the captain allows me to... go to the front away from the kite or balloons flown in the back and see how it goes.... or maybe I'll climb the tuna tower and work it from there... be fun to hook up to a monster from the tuna tower and see the hit from up there...doubt the captain will like that though :D