GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
I prefer my Yogurt with YT on the bottom. Sorry for the poor visibility, but I have tried to work it as best I know how. This footage is from August through October. None of it by itself was worth the effort to edit, but together it made something. The reactions, or lack of, by some of the other fish were surprising. Unfortunately, even the ones that did bite were able to spit the hook(s).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgiCL9xt28

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
The last cut is just a boat passing by. Sound travels a longgggg way under water. There was a little bit of Dolphin/Porpoise communication on the second to last cut also. The crackling noise is just the standard background noise down there. And this is all coming through the waterproof housing on my camera.

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Great footage!

How many yellows were you able to land this season?

Were you 'slow trolling' or just 'drifting'?

Amazing how many fish buzz by but don't commit and take the bait? I guess these are the guys we see on the fish finder, you drop down, and NOTHIN... not hungry or not happy with the presentation or somethin...

Thanks for posting!

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
They are a bit leery of the camera and not very interested in a non-lively bait. So I am stuck with the bait too close to the camera in low visibility. And it is a little bit of work to reset a new bait, so that does not happen as much as I would like. Not to mention they are a little picky about dragging around a torpedo sinker and/or a 4lb downrigger ball when they do bite.
Great footage!

How many yellows were you able to land this season?

Were you 'slow trolling' or just 'drifting'?

Amazing how many fish buzz by but don't commit and take the bait? I guess these are the guys we see on the fish finder, you drop down, and NOTHIN... not hungry or not happy with the presentation or somethin...

Thanks for posting!
If I were interested in landing a bunch of YT, I would ditch the downrigger camera. I have caught all that I need this season (usually just before I drop the camera down, or just after I pull it up). Drift speed is what I do for the benefit of the camera, a bit faster would probably help the catch rate.
I keep waiting to see a thresher come up and wack the bait.
I have a good bit of Thresher Shark footage, but not from this year. They flew right by here this year. Got all the Leopard Shark video I can handle this year though.

Reactions: RyanErb
Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Cool to see the footage. We saw the same thing in Catalina a few weeks ago. We would throw chunks and you see the YT come right up to it, look at it, and then move away from the bait. Other chunk baits next to it without hooks or line were getting eaten left and right. I switch over to lighter fluorocarbon lines with a smaller hook (and hide it inside the chunk) and it was non-stop action. Since they were relatively small YT, we toss them back. The rule on our boat was if the fish is small enough to bounce without a gaff, it goes back to fight another day. Most were small, but a few large ones were mixed in. It was fun on light gear though.

If you can see your line in the videos, the fish can definitely see them. The fish are getting more line shy in the last few weeks, at least in Catalina.

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Timing matters a lot. At times the fish simply won't feed even with fluorocarbon, and at times they will feed even on line. There are a lot of times when you'd see schools of predator and prey swim together in an area simply because the former isn't feeding. Getting the fish to bite is both about finding where they are and being there when they're hungry. That's why people try for the early morning bite as that's usually when the fish are the hungriest after not feeding all night, though that's obviously different for fish that are adapted to feed at night, such as sharks. Still, fish are able to go for days without feeding so even the early morning bite is off and on.

Come to think of it, it's not all that different from humans. You'd run after weeks-old anchovies when you're starving, but when you're full, even white sea bass steak isn't enough to stand up for.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Timing matters a lot. At times the fish simply won't feed even with fluorocarbon, and at times they will feed even on line. There are a lot of times when you'd see schools of predator and prey swim together in an area simply because the former isn't feeding. Getting the fish to bite is both about finding where they are and being there when they're hungry. That's why people try for the early morning bite as that's usually when the fish are the hungriest after not feeding all night, though that's obviously different for fish that are adapted to feed at night, such as sharks. Still, fish are able to go for days without feeding so even the early morning bite is off and on.

Come to think of it, it's not all that different from humans. You'd run after weeks-old anchovies when you're starving, but when you're full, even white sea bass steak isn't enough to stand up for.

When you can see the fish run up to your bait, get very close, look at it, and then run away, they are interested. Something about the setup spooks them and they won't bite. I agree with you that sometimes it doesn't matter, but when you can see a fish eat the chunk baits but not your chunk bait next to it, it means something about your bait spooked them. I had 40 lb fluorocarbon on my reel with a ringed hook and they were spooked. I switched over to 15 lb fluoro with small #2 hook and it was an instant hit every time the bait goes down. Its great when you have a video to help you figure out a different setup to get them to bite.

If you look at the video, you can see his line in the water. He may be using mono since the line is so obvious. If you can see the line, the fish's eyes are much better and they can definitely see it. Switching over to fluro would not hurt if he was using mono in that situation.

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Cool video

Upvote 0

GregAndrew

I Find Stuff
Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Been dropping cameras down since 2011, at least, and never once thought about using Fluoro :rolleyes:. The lines that you are seeing easily are the line from the downrigger ball to the release clip (fluoro, but not changed out very often) and the braided line to my fluoro leader below the Carolina Keeper. These YT are not doing anything different than what I have seen countless Halibut and quite a few WSB do. That is pass on a meal if they don't like the look, action or taste of it. Not that some fish, of probably any species, would not inhale anything that might pass in front of them at a given point in time (like during a feeding frenzy of some sort). Hell, some fish get downright stupid at certain times of the year and lunar cycle, but those are the exceptions. It seems to all come down to presenting them with something that looks natural for us most of the time (the exception would be the frantic nature of reaction bites).
There is a big difference between dead bait and cut bait though, and even more when the dead bait is not just falling. Even with cut bait there is a big difference in how it falls with big hooks and heavier line than how it falls naturally. And cut bait is a regularly occurring sight for most fish as there are lots of sloppy eating predators out there.
And I am sure that I do not use the best setup to get the fish to bite. I use what makes sense for me in my situation. I use a 3-way swivel most of the time where a Spider Hitch would work better for stealth. I use a Carolina Keeper and a swivel connection from braid to fluoro. I don't use a treble trap hook. I leave the bait down too long in general. But I do all of these things because they are the best compromises I have come up with for not driving me crazy while I try to get a little video.

Any pictures, diagrams of your camera setup? Any tips for others wanting to try this?
Believe me, unless you are dying to know why a certain fish does something, it is not worth the effort. It is every bit as time consuming as fantasy football, but with fewer rewards.

Reactions: badgerbacker
Upvote 0

Saba Slayer

Saba Slayer
Oct 19, 2004
Palos Verdes
Name
Jim Salazar
Boat
18' Welcraft CC, Hobie PA 14 and Hobie Outback
Not to take anything away from Greg's great work and I've fished with him before so I know what it takes for him to compile his Great footage...BUT...His system is a little complicated for the average Joe...so I advise getting a Water Wolf Camera from Okuma. It's set-up in a way that makes it really easy to use and it has the simplest on and off switch with no options. It's probably the easiest to use on the market for an underwater trolling type rig.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WymUJRzhSE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Jim / Saba Slayer

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
Very interesting, thank you.

And yeah, I too was thinking about how being a bait fish would suck: like a "sacraficial lamb".

Upvote 0

slapazz

Dec 20, 2010
west hills
Name
mike
Boat
17' sportcraft
you mention the presentation of the bait and all but its crazy to watch how the yellows are just cruising around the little bait balls. Great footage man, thanks!!!! You must have an amazing video collection!

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
When you can see the fish run up to your bait, get very close, look at it, and then run away, they are interested. Something about the setup spooks them and they won't bite. I agree with you that sometimes it doesn't matter, but when you can see a fish eat the chunk baits but not your chunk bait next to it, it means something about your bait spooked them. I had 40 lb fluorocarbon on my reel with a ringed hook and they were spooked. I switched over to 15 lb fluoro with small #2 hook and it was an instant hit every time the bait goes down. Its great when you have a video to help you figure out a different setup to get them to bite.

If you look at the video, you can see his line in the water. He may be using mono since the line is so obvious. If you can see the line, the fish's eyes are much better and they can definitely see it. Switching over to fluro would not hurt if he was using mono in that situation.

Presentation is important, I agree, but have people ever tried just switching hooks instead of downgrading the pound test on fluoro? And vice versa, just replacing the fluoro without going down on hook size?

It has always been important to hide the hook with live bait as fish won't swallow a piece of iron unless it's a reaction/starving bite. But the idea that they're scared by thicker fluoro has always been, well, not tested to me. Yes, there are species of fish with excellent eye sight that I'm sure are able to see 40 lb fluoro, but unless they're intelligent in a way we don't give them credit for, I don't see how they'd be able to figure out that 1 line = danger. Especially when these same fish get caught by gill nets and long liners all day long, and the lines used by those commercial boats are, uh, very visible. In fact, even "smarter" animals such as dolphins, whales, and birds swallow long line hooks, so I have a difficult time believing fish are that smart.

Remember, with long liners these fish have to hook themselves; there's no one setting the hook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2015
La
Name
C
Boat
sleeper
Got a nice YT on spit fire, scale was basically level for jackpot but I lost by a hair. then moved near pt dume and got some rock fish. Fun boat , great crew. Will be back-

Upvote 0