PENN

abcd

Almost A Member
Jan 12, 2011
usa
Name
n
Hey all,
Im looking to invest in more surface iron. What are your top three favorite surface jigs and colors for barracuda, calicos, and yellowtail? Not one jig for three fish, but for individual species. Thanks in advance, ab

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Cuda: big ol gnarly krocadile.

Calicos: wounded soldier 7X

YT: minty fresh (swirly) 7X

Upvote 0

Redworm

Captain
May 11, 2009
San Diego CA USA
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Chris Craft Scorpion
Barries - Birdshit w/ single fixed hook.
Yellowtail - Mint green, bone white or scrambled egg.
Calicos - wounded soldier or green and yellow.

Size varies with conditions.

Upvote 0

seriola_killer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 24, 2008
Hurst, Tx
Name
Jerry
Boat
The Moose Knuckle
Barracuda: Chrome/blue salas, tady, etc...

Bass: Salas 7x scrambled egg, mint sardine, baby shit

Yellowtail: Salas 7x scrambled egg, blue/white, bird shit, baby shit, dorado.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Candy Bar, Candy Bar, Candy Bar.
For 5-6 years I watched an old friend throw this old old jig with not a speck of paint left on it.
He could catch the 3 species you mentioned and a few more on the same jig every trip.
These old jigs had the best movement, I prefer saying swimability, that I've ever seen.
These days you might find one somewhere, garage sale, . . . most likely though in a vending machine.
Brings back some great fishing memories.

Upvote 0

Knot Forever

Oct 5, 2006
Beaumont
Name
Rob Allen
Boat
21 Triumph Knot Forever
Every old salt knows that cuda eat any color as long as it is blue & white. Tadt C, or 45, salas 7x. Yellows love the baby $hit or scrabled egg, or mint 7x or 6x jr. salas. Calicos sove the plastic and iron gets too stuck in the kelp where calicos live.

Upvote 0

hunster

May 5, 2005
canyon country
Name
hun lee
Boat
none
lil secret ill let u in on...dont forget black or navy blue for gray light/sunset hour for calis and barries...and if you're tossin jigs at nite for yellows and barries...white..there were plenty of times when i outfished bait with those colors at those exact times...besides that...any and all colors/jig styles mentioned are good...but if you cant get bit on white/blue/silver in any combination..they're not gonna bite...any and all jigs usually will have some of those universal colors on it as main color so...gluk!..and have confidence in ur selection..

Upvote 0

hunster

May 5, 2005
canyon country
Name
hun lee
Boat
none
Candy Bar, Candy Bar, Candy Bar.
For 5-6 years I watched an old friend throw this old old jig with not a speck of paint left on it.
He could catch the 3 species you mentioned and a few more on the same jig every trip.
These old jigs had the best movement, I prefer saying swimability, that I've ever seen.
These days you might find one somewhere, garage sale, . . . most likely though in a vending machine.
Brings back some great fishing memories.

hahah..i still have a few of those..only problem myself and alotta guys had with them was that they werent as sturdy and tuff as tadys or salas..always broke at the hook end...they made it lighter so it would swim better but lacked strength due to it..was a little flatter and lighter than any other jigs...cant tell u how many i broke in a wide open barrie or tail bite..got so frustrating busting 3-4 a trip alotta guys jus got tired of it..but it did get bit tho..really worked well on calis...

Upvote 0

kantstudien

Aug 2, 2010
OC
Candy Bar 112, Tady 45, Salas 7X. All in a custom "mint python," which Salas will be offering in the standard lineup soon, hehe...

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Color doesn't matter color doesn't matter color doesn't matter for yellowtail. My best yt jig got all the chocolate milk paint ate off of it so I painted it with white Killz and a sharpie. Then I put a bloodshot eye on the back of it works the same in black and white as it did before. Yellows 7X 45 A1 light old candybars if you can find em. If they wobble when you wind them fast good if they wobble then dart to the side and then get back to wobbling even better.

Barracuda-don't matter just don't wind too fast

Calicos AA A1 light yellow and green

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Pacific
www.youtube.com
Name
Ben
Boat
22ft Boston Whaler Outrage
Scrambled egg for YT. I have about 6 in case I ever get into a good YT bite, but then again they stay in my garage for 99% of my trips since I started spearfishing. Scramble egg surface Iron.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
hahah..i still have a few of those..only problem myself and alotta guys had with them was that they werent as sturdy and tuff as tadys or salas..always broke at the hook end...they made it lighter so it would swim better but lacked strength due to it..was a little flatter and lighter than any other jigs...cant tell u how many i broke in a wide open barrie or tail bite..got so frustrating busting 3-4 a trip alotta guys jus got tired of it..but it did get bit tho..really worked well on calis...

You must have gotten a bad batch?
What ever works for you brother.

I still have one, and it's retired, and no paint just like my former pals jig.
Funny thing is it's the only jig I have left from being a kid, still a kid at heart but 56 years young now.
Maybe you shouldn't bounce so many fish? :rofl:
Just reach down and unhook them and onto the next fish is the way we did it fishin' those jigs.
Good fishin' to'ya!

Upvote 0

hunster

May 5, 2005
canyon country
Name
hun lee
Boat
none
You must have gotten a bad batch?
What ever works for you brother.

I still have one, and it's retired, and no paint just like my former pals jig.
Funny thing is it's the only jig I have left from being a kid, still a kid at heart but 56 years young now.
Maybe you shouldn't bounce so many fish? :rofl:
Just reach down and unhook them and onto the next fish is the way we did it fishin' those jigs.
Good fishin' to'ya!
hahahaa...yeah...we did bounce one too many gars....we had the 1st addition candybars and worked great to a point...we used to have a standing bet goin how many gars before it busted...i did lose a cpl ytail due to it bustin off in mid fight...i luved them but it jus kept bustin off on us!..

Upvote 0