Your Most Embarasing Long Range Experience.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Anglewood, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    I never wear any drawers. They're overrated. Maybe I ought to rethink my ensemble for my 10 dayer just in case.

2. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    OMG. I'm not even sure where to start.
    If you know me, we'll just leave it at that, LOL.

3. jbs49

jbs49 Newbie

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Last year aboard a 15 day trip I was having a good time, getting bite. I was handing off a few fish, couldn’t hang back to back. Anyway, there were a few sharks around, but not many. If you got bite, (slow pick) it was pretty sure bet a tuna, mix grade. I had a couple buddies I meet aboard sort of always standing by, got bite, good hook set, good run, hand off. Just when I handed off, still in my hands I felt that hammer thump, no doubt. Couldn’t say Shark, my buddy was all smiles, he had a good fight and was still smiling. Boy I felt embarrass and a little shame for not tell him SHARK. I did tell a few watching during the fight. But you never Know. I knew.

4. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    My first 3 day trip I thought I was hot stuff and jack poled a 10lb Tuna over the stern rail so forcefully it flew right on top of the bait tank and hit the deck hand in the leg. I apologized 1000xs in three days.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. Brass_Slacks

Brass_Slacks Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Public
    When I was about 23 I thought I could keep up with the guys drinking on the stern on a travel day. Haven't been able to drink tequila since. Never puked so much in my life.

yellowfish26 and strackle99 like this.
  6. CaptJgray

CaptJgray I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jeff Gray
    Boat:
    hell no....

Try a 100 pound Thresher in the tail with 20 pound and a scampi fishing sculpin...

7. Kevinlmartin

Kevinlmartin Big fish kevin

Name:
    Kevin Martin
    Boat:
    Sank
    Please explain

8. jigsaurus

jigsaurus Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    12' plastic cod killer
    "Code rainbow"

9. pmurphy

pmurphy Member

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    Hobie kayak
    So many to choose from, including a couple of times that weren't funny because I was "That guy."

I was throwing jigs at the bow with a new custom rod and my favorite reel, an Avet HX. On the backswing, the treble hook caught on one of the trash bags stored on the bow. The rod loaded up as I tried to cast. Then, at just the worst moment, the jig broke free of the bag and that rig shot out of my hands like a catapult. Pretty good distance, too! I was able to laugh it off because I had already caught enough fish on the iron to establish a little credibility and save face.

I still flash back to that moment sometimes when I'm casting....

One_Leg likes this.
  10. el_jefe_chingon

el_jefe_chingon Member

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Any party boat thats going out that day.
    I don't have anything too embarrassing, but...
    On my first long range trip with 5 buddies on the Polaris Supreme we were told we may need to make bait overnight. I am a very sound sleeper, and can sleep through almost anything including fire alarms at times. I told my friend in another room and my roommate that when they here the call go out on the speaker system to wake me up. Needless to say neither decided to wake me up at 3-4a.m. when the call went out. Next thing I know someone turns on the lights and yells into my room "wake up or you wont be using any bait today". Nothing like your own VIP personal wake up call by the Captain to start your day. Got on deck, and I looked at my friends who were to busy laughing to catch bait.

Gerry

stephen campbell and freegaff2 like this.
  11. No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou No Cal Lou

Name:
    Lou Salatich
    Boat:
    none
    Many many years ago on a boat I have forgotten the name of, but it was one of those boats that had the heads outside under the wheel house. This particular day I was fishing right by the head door and it was pretty rough weather that day. Anyway, I am hooked up and following my fish towards the bow and the boat took a good hit from a wave and this guy comes tumbling out of the head with his pants down around his ankles, I trip over him and my rod goes overboard. Neither one of us lived that down as we both got our balls busted for the duration of that trip.

Rocco F. and Chrisben like this.