Your Most Embarasing Long Range Experience.

Eharri

Jul 22, 2014
Name
EricH
Boat
Sea Ray
Here's the funny part, Jesus was asking a few of us to help him out and pull up his shorts. No thank you, nope...none of us volunteered because we were all laughing and wheezing so hard from the comedy. Good times with the group.....
Lesson learned from fishing with Doug he will record your most embarrassing imposition and keep for an opportune time to display it for all to amuse – those three photos are just the tip iceberg. Maybe I should keep my mouth shut as I am certain he has something on me in his archive.

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Nic - This "almost" became your most embarrassing moment......so glad I was able to use the RP bleach bucket to rinse off my hands. That was a close one and you almost pulled a "Minahan"View attachment 922767
Oh hell no!!! You’re on your own at that point brother. I’ll hold your fishing pole while you fix yourself but I’m not grabbing another mans drawers

Chrisben

Sep 6, 2009
Las Vegas
Name
chris
Boat
none
Well for me nothing tops the time I took off for an 8-day and left my entire reel case on the front porch. Called my brother he went up and got it. Thanks to guys like Bill W, I borrowed enough reels and did pretty good.
I've had nightmares about doing that. Driving from Vegas to the landing and forgetting my real bag.
Chris

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Many years ago I was with JJ on the Apollo at the Lupe. We had had very tough scratch fishing for small 25-35 lb tuna and an occasional yellowtail for 2 days. It's late afternoon we're on the anchor, I'm fly-lining a sardine on 30 lb string, and hook up to something that just takes off towards Mexico. After a few minutes, JJ comes up and says something like "I think you've got the one we've been looking for, Dennis." 2 hours later I'm still on this fish and its still kicking my ass...it was weird...the fish stayed up high the whole time, and wouldn't lay on its side and go into circles. JJ tells everyone that no more lines are allowed in the water until we either kill or lose this fish. Its dark by now, dinner call comes, everybody heads into the galley. When they come out, I'm still on this fish...its now been about 3 hours, and I'm just about dead. Finally, JJ sees color, sinks the gaff, and this little 30-35 lb tuna hits the deck. I had this fish snagged on the very top of its head, hence no death circles and the crazy-ass fight. Everybody on that boat laughed their asses off. One guy had his 11 year old son with him who said something like "that little fish kicked your ass for like 3 hours, dude," and walked away cracking up.

That's my embarrassing story.
DMcD

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I hooked a wahoo in the tail that kicked my ass on one long run until it died...

Reactions: freegaff2

Texlee

Jun 3, 2012
Vernon, Texas, USA
Name
Alben Lee
Boat
Excel
Back in the late 80's on a 10 day on the Q105 at Alijos fishing for Wahoo. Hung one in the port corner that went up towards the bow like a bat outta hell. Had to run up the rail to keep up. Ended up snagging my shorts on a jig attached to a rod in a holder along the house. I have to say that the shorts were really old and flimsy. Ended up tearing apart the entire seam on one side so there was nothing left to hold em up. And i was free balling as well. So basically i had to finish the fish off bottomless with my ass and junk out for all to see. Got the fish. While i was on parade for everyone (including a couple females) all I could hear was a bunch of dudes whistling at me like i was onstage at a Tijuana strip club. For the rest of the trip anytime I was on a fish or entering the galley i got the whistling...

That was pretty embarrassing. But it was funny as hell too
I never wear any drawers. They're overrated. Maybe I ought to rethink my ensemble for my 10 dayer just in case.

backlashjack

Scallywag
May 14, 2007
Alta Loma, CA
Name
Jackson
Boat
Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
OMG. I'm not even sure where to start.
If you know me, we'll just leave it at that, LOL.

jbs49

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 2, 2012
Panama
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
Last year aboard a 15 day trip I was having a good time, getting bite. I was handing off a few fish, couldn’t hang back to back. Anyway, there were a few sharks around, but not many. If you got bite, (slow pick) it was pretty sure bet a tuna, mix grade. I had a couple buddies I meet aboard sort of always standing by, got bite, good hook set, good run, hand off. Just when I handed off, still in my hands I felt that hammer thump, no doubt. Couldn’t say Shark, my buddy was all smiles, he had a good fight and was still smiling. Boy I felt embarrass and a little shame for not tell him SHARK. I did tell a few watching during the fight. But you never Know. I knew.

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
My first 3 day trip I thought I was hot stuff and jack poled a 10lb Tuna over the stern rail so forcefully it flew right on top of the bait tank and hit the deck hand in the leg. I apologized 1000xs in three days.

Last edited:

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
Name
Hank
Boat
Public
When I was about 23 I thought I could keep up with the guys drinking on the stern on a travel day. Haven't been able to drink tequila since. Never puked so much in my life.

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
So many to choose from, including a couple of times that weren't funny because I was "That guy."

I was throwing jigs at the bow with a new custom rod and my favorite reel, an Avet HX. On the backswing, the treble hook caught on one of the trash bags stored on the bow. The rod loaded up as I tried to cast. Then, at just the worst moment, the jig broke free of the bag and that rig shot out of my hands like a catapult. Pretty good distance, too! I was able to laugh it off because I had already caught enough fish on the iron to establish a little credibility and save face.

I still flash back to that moment sometimes when I'm casting....

Reactions: One_Leg

el_jefe_chingon

Aug 12, 2006
Walnut Creek, CA. Displaced San Diegan
Name
Gerry
Boat
Any party boat thats going out that day.
I don't have anything too embarrassing, but...
On my first long range trip with 5 buddies on the Polaris Supreme we were told we may need to make bait overnight. I am a very sound sleeper, and can sleep through almost anything including fire alarms at times. I told my friend in another room and my roommate that when they here the call go out on the speaker system to wake me up. Needless to say neither decided to wake me up at 3-4a.m. when the call went out. Next thing I know someone turns on the lights and yells into my room "wake up or you wont be using any bait today". Nothing like your own VIP personal wake up call by the Captain to start your day. Got on deck, and I looked at my friends who were to busy laughing to catch bait.

Gerry

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
Many many years ago on a boat I have forgotten the name of, but it was one of those boats that had the heads outside under the wheel house. This particular day I was fishing right by the head door and it was pretty rough weather that day. Anyway, I am hooked up and following my fish towards the bow and the boat took a good hit from a wave and this guy comes tumbling out of the head with his pants down around his ankles, I trip over him and my rod goes overboard. Neither one of us lived that down as we both got our balls busted for the duration of that trip.