Your Most Embarasing Long Range Experience.

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Anglewood, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Most of us cut our teeth with local trips, yet some, like me, did a seven day as my first try back in 2012. One flub I had was shifting gears, too low. I had never had a two gear reel before, and I figured if it is easier in low, why not start there. I ended up picking up a bunch of YT on low gear on a loaner AVET LX and during one fish, Captain Kevin (when he was on the Intrepid) showed me the light. He was the first to tell me to fish high gear until you cant. I ended up doing a super grand slam on that trip with a few YFT, BFT, YT, BFT, and one White Seabass, A lifetime trips for sure, but also why I still go out.

Second:

I am on my second long range trip (NorCal Tuna 7 Day 2013 on the Intrepid) and I think I got this thing wired. Early bait runs not just under the boat, but a few times around the hanging deck hose. They literally had to pull the hose and bait up spraying water straight up. I thought I was experienced, but realized there is still much to learn. My bad...

There are plenty more stories, but what is yours?

-Connor

2. Anglewood

Anglewood Up to no good...

Name:
    Connor
    Boat:
    Intrepid, New Del Mar
    Most Embarrassing, spelling embarrarising wrong... sorry, realized just after the post.

djam and stephen campbell like this.
  3. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    Signing up for a 4.5 day trip for late August of 2018 with Cedros, Benitos and San Martin closed... hope Desperadation Reef is loaded with tuna haha

Planning on doing Cedros Outdoor Adventure next summer.....

carcass and bob1825 like this.
  4. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Wanted to release a small YT and instead of keeping the reel in gear retrieving the line as the deckhand hand lined the fish. I instinctively put it into free spool like you do when a fish is gaffed right?? WRONG... I didn't realize that by doing so the deck hand couldn't hold the line and it gave him a nasty multiple fingered deep line cut as the fish fell back towards the water. I apologized realizing my mistake and it was accepted. That was a long trip...

bdubs73 likes this.
  5. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    trusted a fart after two long days partying in PV, first morning of our 3.5 day ......:Bathtime_emoticon:

6. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Over 60? Never pass up an oportunity to use a bathroom and NEVER trust a fart.

Rip~Tide, karlk1125, CDA Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. Dudley613

Dudley613 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Nope not over 60, good ol millennial crappin himself on the constitution haha I have no shame, just a weak Scandinavian gut

8. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    My first ever trip was 25 years ago for a 10 day. I was not paying attention where my line was going. (I had no idea) I feel a tug, reel it in and it's a beer can filled with water. It had drifted under the boat and came up with an angler's line on the opposite side of the boat. I learned quickly to watch my line and keep in straight out in front of me.

9. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I can't remember who it was, but an angler was trolling and kept getting short bite. When he finally reeled his line in the deck hand went to check out his new orange maurauder and found the condoms still on the hooks.

Nolan jahn likes this.
  10. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Andy, (an angler) had new rod and reel setup. Skip just got out of the shower and lotioned up. He asked to try it and Andy said ok. Skip did an underhand lob off the corner and launched the new rod and reel overboard. Skip jumped overboard to retrieve it, the only thing he achieved was to loose his prescription glasses, and get a big scolding from Capt. Jeff.

Blackfish, pgangler and Anglewood like this.
  11. flickfish

flickfish Member

Name:
    Nic
    Boat:
    Sea Wolf
    On my first ever LR trip, 8 day on the RP last summer, Eddie the deckie was helping me out with my dropper loop setup and I was holding the 16oz torpedo while he had the hook in his hand when I had a brain malfunction/shut down and for no reason just let go of the torpedo, luckily the hook didn't go through his hand but he did give me a WTF?! look. Made sure to leave all my leftover beer with him at the end of the trip...

12. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Hmmm...embarrassing moment...

Once I was on the kite (upper-deck) for a long time zoning-out keeping the bait just on the top of the water. You know the drill, let line out 3 feet, reel it in 4 feet. After several hours I get bit and everyone starts yelling "wind wind, wind" which I did enthusiastically. The deckhand comes up the ladder and starts laughing due to the reel being out of gear! Eventually I got the fish, but there was a gnarly backlash under a couple hundred yards of line. Talk about not paying attention...

Lesson learned!

- Jeff Burroughs

carterantebi and bayfisher86 like this.
  13. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    You would think an old guy like me would have learned not to panic when fishing got tough, like no bites for three days tough. Gonna say three years ago on the January Accurate 14 day on the Angler.

Middle of the third day, I grabbed an outfit rigged up with a topshot of 100 lb Seaguar Premier, Penn 30S on a 6364XXH that I had built several years ago. Pinned on a Sardine and went up to the pointy end to make a cast as the current was running off to the starboard bow. Promptly winged my bait out and landed it on top of the anchor line. As I watched the bait do a 360 around the line I’m sure I muttered a few choice four letter words, like a golfer hooking one out of bounds. Adding insult to stupidity, instead of just cutting the spectra and getting the topshot back intact for later use, I let another pull on it until it broke. Topshot all stretched out, connection screwed up and tossed in the trash, I still had to tell the deck crew to watch out for the hook left buried in the rope when they pulled the hook.

14. fshholc

fshholc Member

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    sold
    Mine happened years ago when the Q-105 was running their fly-down trips out of Cabo. Jack Webster was running the Q at the time. He met us at the airport with a taxi van to transport us to the boat. Jack asked if I could pay for the taxi and he'd reimburse me when we got to the boat. It's was $100 and I gladly paid the driver. Once we arrived and stored our geared the boat left the harbor. I'm putting my rods and reels together on deck when Jack hands me a $100 bill, I stuff it in my pocket and continue my work. It's time to tie on hooks so I put my dikes in my pocket and begin the process. Well you guessed it, the first time I pull the dikes out of my pocket the $100 bill is wrapped around them and the wind catches the bill and over the side it goes. Somewhere, someone found that $100 bill on the beach in Mexico and I'm sure it made their day.

freegaff2 likes this.
  15. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Jay Love, Spanish for “Big Tipper”

fshholc likes this.
  16. fishstomp

fishstomp Picaroon

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    18' Seaswirl
    What's protocol for that? Yell out, "fresh one!"?

Awsum, joshc1024, bullyo and 3 others like this.
  17. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    About 15 years ago on a Señor Tuna 3 day trip we were coming back from a great albacore trip (remember what those are LOL)...we were breaking down our gear and I was attempting to put my new custom wrapped Shikari 8040 in to it's rod sleeve and was impatient and somehow the rod missed the sleeve flew out of my hand right out the scupper did not hit anything but water a perfect throw.......and that was the last I saw of that beautiful rod......

18. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Ha , I know it recently posted this in Another thread but here it is:

On a 7 day Trip with crazy El Nino fishing first 4 days. (we caught over 100 50 lb + wahoo at Benitos and then loaded up on Yellowfin Tuna ,Yellowtail, WSB and BSB in the same exact spot) I was feeling pretty Stoked and on Top of the World.
    We then went to Canoas for more YT.
    So my buddies see if I want to try one of their "brownies"
    Usually not my thing.. But I was feeling pretty good and exploratory so I said "WTF, you only live once"

I tried that Brownie(about a little 1/8 piece) and was casting surface iron for yellowtail successfully in the Bow. After about 30 minutes they came over and asked how it was going.
    My reply: "That brownie ain't shit - it does nothing"

About 10-15 minutes later they checked on me again and I was last seen holding the rod in my hand like a statue and not able to move or cast.
    they were ROFL laughing at me.

Then in total a Paranoia fit, I then went into the cabin and sat there for 30 minutes thinking everyone was laughing and staring at me (they were ,lol) . The crew would come in one at a time and laugh.

Ok screw this. So I went downstairs to Lay down at 4 pm and next thing I know I wake up 16 hours later and missed another AM YT bite.

that was my moment.

31318194_1087180868101485_7316617783922393088_n.jpg

19. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I lent one of my setups (Mak10 and SS6480H) to newbie friend on 3 day trip. He killed it on some small paddy fish all was good, gave it back to me in what seemed like good shape. A month later my buddy Shon asked if he could borrow a rig to fish that big bluefin off desperation on a private boat. I said no problem, borrow my Mak. Didn’t hear from him for a couple days, when he gets back he is irate, he hooked a monster that stripped 150 yards on one massive run right off the bite, and as the line was ripping it go to a spot deep in the spool where there was an backlash tangle - instant zing pow. I was utterly embarrassed when Shon dropped it off...

20. Texlee

Texlee Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alben Lee
    Boat:
    Excel
    Been there done it. Tex

SouthBayKiller likes this.