Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
Dec 12, 2013
Las Vegas
Name
Stacy Sanderson
Boat
16' Tracker Fish Addit
Just a quick Question. This is my new boat. She is not huge by any means but handles rough water here pretty well. This boat is 17 ft long with a 90 hp motor. This weekends weather reports are looking really good. In your all honest opinion. Would you go out and chase these Tuna and Yellows off Dana Point area. I have all the safety equipment and Vessel Assist.

Thanks Guys.

2014-07-16 16.10.05.jpg

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Have you skippered a boat in the salt before?

Upvote 0

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
There are guys out in some gnarly stuff in boats that size. Watch the swell and wind waves and take it easy out there and you should be fine. I was out a few days last week in my 25' that I wouldn't have recommended, swell was 5-7 with 3-4' wind waves.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
Just a quick Question. This is my new boat. She is not huge by any means but handles rough water here pretty well. This boat is 17 ft long with a 90 hp motor. This weekends weather reports are looking really good. In your all honest opinion. Would you go out and chase these Tuna and Yellows off Dana Point area. I have all the safety equipment and Vessel Assist.

Thanks Guys.

View attachment 528390
and the little guy with you has no life jacket on as far as I can tell

Upvote 0

Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
Dec 12, 2013
Las Vegas
Name
Stacy Sanderson
Boat
16' Tracker Fish Addit
Have you skippered a boat in the salt before?

Yes I have been out in the Salt before. Just never smaller then 25 ft.

and the little guy with you has no life jacket on as far as I can tell

His father was laying on the deck holding him. The picture was taken 5 ft off shore. Believe me his jacket was right there with us.

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
Apr 9, 2007
San Diego, CA.
Name
Max
Boat
Trophy Pro, @-EZ
And
I

have been watching the NOAA.gov website. They are calling for 1 -2 swell and 5 - 10 Kt of wind.

And what wind wave height? On the big blue, that in and of itself can break you.

Swell, watch the duration and height, then factor in wind waves. What does that equate to, taking into consideration your boat and experience.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    If you're asking me if a recommend it the answer is NO!

If you're asking me if I've done it when I was in my early twenties,,,,,,,,,well.

I did a lot of things when I was young that I don't do now.

I mean no offense. But, you don't appear to be easy to get back into a boat. Rightside up or otherwise.
    That needs to be considered.

Upvote 0

Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
    Dec 12, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Stacy Sanderson
    Boat
    16' Tracker Fish Addit
    And

And what wind wave height? On the big blue, that in and of itself can break you.

Swell, watch the duration and height, then factor in wind waves. What does that equate to, taking into consideration your boat and experience.

They are saying 2 ft or less right now.

Upvote 0

Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
    Dec 12, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Stacy Sanderson
    Boat
    16' Tracker Fish Addit
    If you're asking me if a recommend it the answer is NO!

If you're asking me if I've done it when I was in my early twenties,,,,,,,,,well.

I did a lot of things when I was young that I don't do now.

I mean no offense. But, you don't appear to be easy to get back into a boat. Rightside up or otherwise.
    That needs to be considered.

Yes I am not going to lie. I am a big boy but the boat does have a small swim step for me to climb back in with. Believe me we all seem to Accidentally fall overboard during the heat of the Vegas Summer.

Upvote 0

J Woodman

I know nothing
    Dec 8, 2006
    Ventura
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    15' Gregor "Silver Bullet", Parker 2310 "Deep Color"
    OK, honest opinion from the second craziest guy I know in a tin boat (you're welcome, Randy).

I have no idea about your boating skills so I have to say if you have to ask if it is safe to go anywhere, it probably isn't a good idea. I know my skills and I know my boat, but I don't know you or your boat, only you do. Only you know your abilities and your limitations. If you are even a little bit hesitant, that is the voice of reason talking in your ear. Listen to it. Stay where you are in your boating experiences until you are ready to push the envelope a little. Remember, in a bad situation at sea you can DIE. That is never a good proposition.

Always check the weather before you go and constantly monitor the conditions while on the water. If you think you might be ready for an offshore trip in your boat try buddy boating with someone you trust. Your chances of returning to the launch ramp safely go way up with more boats running together, and two or more boats can cover more water when looking for fish and have a good time out there.

Remember....always stay safe!

Reactions: bus kid and Bondrvr
    Upvote 0

Trout.com

Jul 8, 2013
    San Dimas
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    17' Klamath "Queequeg"
    Limitations without understanding will get u killed. Only u know the answer. My best advice; be smart and pay attention and you will be fine.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Does your rig have bilge pumps or scuppers? I've done some stupid runs in my 14 al but it was to the 9 with pucker factor the whole way and outta there if any wind showed up. Add in a bunch of 20 lb fish and you could be screwed pretty fast. Radio, gps, all of the stuff I still had.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...lat=32.65&maxlat=35.81&mapwidth=354&site=lox&

period 15 seconds today, mixed swell starting tomorrow and through the weekend, and the ever present wind. don't know your level of experience (i'm not bashing, just provoking thought) but what worries me is that if your asking the question, perhaps you and/ or your gear is not up to the task. if you go do you have anyone to buddy boat with? i know you said you've got the gear, a vhf is part of that i hope. if you go try and get off the water before lunch to avoid the wind (wind waves)

Upvote 0

badpetedave

Aug 14, 2008
    socal
    Name
    david
    Boat
    24 proline cc REEL DEAL
    If u read bd form u will see a 23ft cc boat capsized last weekend. Only u can make that choice to go offshore but just rember the ocean is very deadly with out the proper boating skills things happen so fast out their be safe If u have to think twice about it u should not go

Upvote 0

Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
    Dec 12, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Stacy Sanderson
    Boat
    16' Tracker Fish Addit
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...lat=32.65&maxlat=35.81&mapwidth=354&site=lox&

period 15 seconds today, mixed swell starting tomorrow and through the weekend, and the ever present wind. don't know your level of experience (i'm not bashing, just provoking thought) but what worries me is that if your asking the question, perhaps you and/ or your gear is not up to the task. if you go do you have anyone to buddy boat with? i know you said you've got the gear, a vhf is part of that i hope. if you go try and get off the water before lunch to avoid the wind (wind waves)

Yes I have a VHF radio, GPS, and off shore Life Jackets. The only reason I am asking cause I do know how rough it can get out away from shore. Believe me I am really comfortable being inshore and have fished the Dana Point and San Mateo Point a lot. I would love to have a buddy boat but no one from Vegas wants to make the drive.

Does your rig have bilge pumps or scuppers? I've done some stupid runs in my 14 al but it was to the 9 with pucker factor the whole way and outta there if any wind showed up. Add in a bunch of 20 lb fish and you could be screwed pretty fast. Radio, gps, all of the stuff I still had.

Yes I do have a good strong Bilge pump.

Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
    Apr 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA.
    Name
    Max
    Boat
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Everything stated aside, we are actually trying to help. No bashing involved. Everything you've read are things we take into consideration before we make the determination to launch.

We don't want to see yet another casualty due to ignorance.

Upvote 0

Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
    Dec 12, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Stacy Sanderson
    Boat
    16' Tracker Fish Addit
    If u read bd form u will see a 23ft cc boat capsized last weekend. Only u can make that choice to go offshore but just rember the ocean is very deadly with out the proper boating skills things happen so fast out their be safe If u have to think twice about it u should not go

I did read that post. That's another reason for the question. Believe me I want to come home safe also. I was not planning on running more then 8 - 10 miles off shore. I know for a fact I don't need to be out further then that.

Upvote 0

Vegas Stacy

Almost A Member
    Dec 12, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Stacy Sanderson
    Boat
    16' Tracker Fish Addit
    Everything stated aside, we are actually trying to help. No bashing involved. Everything you've read are things we take into consideration before we make the determination to launch.

We don't want to see yet another casualty due to ignorance.

Believe me I appreciate every ones comments. The big thing is I don't want to hassle with a damn Party Boat. They will be a [email protected]#King zoo this weekend.

Upvote 0