Your Go 2 Shallow Water Bass & Ling Rod.

Socket985

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
This past year, as were preparing for the upcoming openers for bottom fish, what are your go to Rod's and Reels for fishing in shallow water. Anyone interested in sharing?

I was fishing with a buddy and he was twitching for sea bass, no doubt catching 3 fish to my 1. I was looking at the Lamiglass LX79MSGH 7'9" 8 - 15 lb 1/4 - 5/8 oz rod which is really close to what he was using.

Thoughts on what to use is appreciated.

liltrouble

Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I am loving my new Daiwa harrier rod. Put accurate on it. Very light rod, parabolic.

I just got a slow pitch rod from Japan and put a valiant 500n on it. lightest rod i have ever held in my life! I can't wait to take it to OBX and see what i get to play with and see what i can do!

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
I have an Okuma Cedros Speed Jig that I love for inshore stuff. I have a Penn Warfare 20n on it and it’s a great value setup that is a lot of fun yet strong enough to rope in a hot rock fish bite.

Reactions: pacificscout

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Whatever is in arms reach.

But if I had to chose I like my light live bait setup with a level wind which is a lighter rated wasabi and a squall 15.

I also have a 7ft heavy bass jig rod with a Bill dance style bait caster on it to make things interesting.

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
Daiwa lexa 300 lefty no line counter with a power handle. Spooled with 50lb tuffline XP Indicator so you have 10 foot line color changes.

Trevala TVC70ML or TVC70L.

Way to much money for bottom fish but the ML with the lexa is a lot of fun on tuna too.

Reactions: [email protected]

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
This past year, as were preparing for the upcoming openers for bottom fish, what are your go to Rod's and Reels for fishing in shallow water. Anyone interested in sharing?

I was fishing with a buddy and he was twitching for sea bass, no doubt catching 3 fish to my 1. I was looking at the Lamiglass LX79MSGH 7'9" 8 - 15 lb 1/4 - 5/8 oz rod which is really close to what he was using.

Thoughts on what to use is appreciated.
I use a lamiglass 6'6" competitor. 8-20lb I believe. 20lb Power Pro on a Calcutta 400S. That was my go to for years.

I've got 2 brand new rods that I'd let go of if you're interested. It made a good setup, pulled up lots of lings and even a few butts on this rod/reel combo

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
There several ways to fish ling and bass inshore. And to me bass and Lings are different gear if fishing for sport/fun.
For bass jigging any bass rod will do. 8’ Rod with 300-400 series reel of choice. Or if like spinning think a 9’ 8-17lb spinning set up (Think steelhead gear) Sensitive action but enough backbone to turn a bass.
For Lings with jigs 9’ salmon jigging/mooching rod is perfect for 4oz lingcod jigs. Ideally fast enough action to feel the jig move but heavy enough to keep a ling out of his hole. I love my diawa lexa 400 with 8 gloomis imx jig rod for this (Overkill as it’s my tuna jig rod but it works)
For live baiting Lings I like a big slow soft 10’6” salmon rod with a slower reel so the headshakes don’t pull the greenling out.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
I use trout rods and reels for shallow water sea bass...makes it a hoot!

Yes, however at times it was not enough when the larger fish were caught. This year I will be bringing quite a few different setups.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
There several ways to fish ling and bass inshore. And to me bass and Lings are different gear if fishing for sport/fun.
For bass jigging any bass rod will do. 8’ Rod with 300-400 series reel of choice. Or if like spinning think a 9’ 8-17lb spinning set up (Think steelhead gear) Sensitive action but enough backbone to turn a bass.
For Lings with jigs 9’ salmon jigging/mooching rod is perfect for 4oz lingcod jigs. Ideally fast enough action to feel the jig move but heavy enough to keep a ling out of his hole. I love my diawa lexa 400 with 8 gloomis imx jig rod for this (Overkill as it’s my tuna jig rod but it works)
For live baiting Lings I like a big slow soft 10’6” salmon rod with a slower reel so the headshakes don’t pull the greenling out.

Interesting thought using a 10' 6" rod for lings & live bait. I tired for an hour or more at different depths and no takers with a green ling, even though the jigs caught some ling cod in similar area.

The sensitive action with back bone was a difference compared to the cheaper trout rods when catching the larger sea bass. The wide open bite where we caught our sea bass limits quick is way to addicting.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
I use a lamiglass 6'6" competitor. 8-20lb I believe. 20lb Power Pro on a Calcutta 400S. That was my go to for years.

I've got 2 brand new rods that I'd let go of if you're interested. It made a good setup, pulled up lots of lings and even a few butts on this rod/reel combo

Do you have a reel for sale to? Certainly interested

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Whatever is in arms reach.

But if I had to chose I like my light live bait setup with a level wind which is a lighter rated wasabi and a squall 15.

I also have a 7ft heavy bass jig rod with a Bill dance style bait caster on it to make things interesting.

Brand or specs are the 7ft heavier bass rod? Thank You

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 conquest... needs a name
Interesting thought using a 10' 6" rod for lings & live bait. I tired for an hour or more at different depths and no takers with a green ling, even though the jigs caught some ling cod in similar area.

The sensitive action with back bone was a difference compared to the cheaper trout rods when catching the larger sea bass. The wide open bite where we caught our sea bass limits quick is way to addicting.
One after another with a fiesty greenling and never a hook in the lingcod. All nearshore in 60 feet of water or less. For sure the long soft rod helps them stay holding on long enough to bring them up and net them.

Attachments

Reactions: ☆THRASHER☆

☆THRASHER☆

Thrashing Some Rods.
Jul 23, 2014
Renton WA
Name
Jason Champion
Boat
GW 272 sailfish
I agree with Jeff on the lingcod, for me it's live bait shallow, I use a 9-foot 15 to 30 lb salmon Rod one piece, Thrasher. I actually use a line counter reel for shallow Ling's so I can hold bottom without tangling up. For Bass and catching bait I love my Thrasher slow pitch, 6 ft 8 parabolic and light, accurate tern 500XN makes for a sweet package.

Reactions: FishPimpII

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
Apr 27, 2013
Port Orchard
Name
Jeff
Boat
24’ Hewes Alaskan
Sounds like most are over thinking this. 90% of the time I’m just fishing a 3oz flutter jig and shrimp flies for bass. All it usually takes is a good drift or two and everybody has limited the boat for us. Most of the time we have taken care of the Lings off shore but if in shore fishing live bait for the lings you def need something with enough back bone to keep them out of their holes once they hit but yet has enough touch so you can feel when they greenling is getting nervous right before he gets eaten!

Reactions: spoon man

PNWMatt2016

Sep 12, 2016
Bothell
Name
Matt Frazier
Boat
Need One!
Two Rods I use: One for shallow bass fishing (surface to 75 feet). : Ultra Light Ugly Stik with Pflueger Presidential. Second combo is my go to, as mentioned prior. Light trevala paired with smaller series saragosa. That is my favorite combo for every saltwater specie... I will fish it (rod and reel size changing obviously) for Lings, Bass, Halibut, Tuna... Its amazing.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Two Rods I use: One for shallow bass fishing (surface to 75 feet). : Ultra Light Ugly Stik with Pflueger Presidential. Second combo is my go to, as mentioned prior. Light trevala paired with smaller series saragosa. That is my favorite combo for every saltwater specie... I will fish it (rod and reel size changing obviously) for Lings, Bass, Halibut, Tuna... Its amazing.

I will look into these, thank you

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Lings hooked on live bait usually won’t do the big head shakes unless you get a hook in them. I like a Trevala tvc-66mh with a avet mxj when chasin shallow water Lings. It will work for live bait and jigs up to 8oz. I have landed a pile of lings with this rig with live bait and grub tail jigs. It will do a bang up job on seabass as well.
47E0BD62-17AD-4368-AE93-106D507EEAB3.jpeg
1FCB36FB-8F71-46E7-B358-42E4FA405C9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: FHisherman

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Lings hooked on live bait usually won’t do the big head shakes unless you get a hook in them. I like a Trevala tvc-66mh with a avet mxj when chasin shallow water Lings. It will work for live bait and jigs up to 8oz. I have landed a pile of lings with this rig with live bait and grub tail jigs. It will do a bang up job on seabass as well.

Interesting. Hopefully this year I can catch a ling using live bait.

Emzbuddy

I miss sports
Mar 13, 2008
Bothell, WA
Name
Doug
Boat
Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out, Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
Trevala TVC-66MH with an Avet SJX . 50 lb braid, 30 lb topshot (short) can fish anything from 2 oz flutter jig to 12 oz Bullet head w/ Scampi. Perfect for 5 oz flutter jigs at 100- 150 feet FOW.