invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Calstar 270H, paired with a Newell 229. I felt like I had arrived, still do, that one is still killing fish.

Idatuna

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
Mine was a Sabre 670 with a Jigmaster combo from Turner’s for 69.99. I still remember the first time I took it out and a deckhand commented ‘great rod, shitty reel’. Lol

I eventually got a Penn 4/0 for that rod and put the jigmaster on a Sabre 530.

Still have that Sabre 670 in the garage somewhere. It killed a lot of fish in its career.

Me too. Only from Wayne's Tackle in Santa Fe Springs. Still have the rod. the reel....?

Reactions: Jigslinger

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
I am a bit late to the game, but when I knew that I was really gonna commit to fishing I set out to get the best quality gear possible. My first quality rod was a Calstar Grafighter 700H from Chark Bait in Huntington Beach. I remember Beta being super patient with me as I went back and forth between the many rods they had there, and the reels to match up with it as well. Still have the rod for sentimental reasons, but I am a UC guy now.

-Connor

MAG0121

Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
Back in high school in the 80's, while bodysurfing a secluded cove in Laguna I found a washed up Sabre 196-7 on the beach. I knew it was a much better rod than the cheap Sears stuff I had my Jigmaster on, but it was missing a tip and I had no idea how to fix it. Fast forward a year or so and for my birthday, my Mom trots out the rod with all new guides and custom threadwork. Totally blew my mind. She'd had a friend at work who wrapped rods fix it up and, to my great surprise, he even put my name on it! For years that rod went on half day boats, surf trips, and friends' boats. Caught hundreds of fish and dozens of species. It still sits in the garage under a pile of newer stuff, but now that my Mom has passed, the sentimental value can't be matched.

bkaz

Pharmfisher
Jul 30, 2015
Novato, CA
Name
BKAZ
Boat
None
First ocean rod I bought was a custom wrapped Calstar BT 6480 from Yo's in Gradena. Since then I had several other rods wrapped by Yo's as well. Still have them and still use them.

Reactions: BobbyAgate

InDeepShip

Nov 5, 2017
SD
Name
Adam
Boat
N/A
Seeker Black Steel 6480 Ct with an Avet MXL I'm a new guy. I've caught everything from mud marlins to yellows to sturgeon on it. I never leave the dock without it.

Reactions: BobbyAgate

Marc S

Captain
Mar 2, 2012
Calabasas, Calif. USA
Name
Marc
Boat
Inflatable
Sabre Stroker, 7 foot, 10-25 lb. rated rod (honey colored blank with blue Hypalon grip), paired with a Newell 229. Used it to fish for bonito at the boil, by the mouth of King Harbor at the Redondo Beach Piers. That was a perfect Chovy outfit with a soft tip for flylining bait. I still have that outfit.

Last edited:

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Factory chocolate sabre 670 and a penn 500 from Jerry Morris when his shop was on Aviation. Started wrapping my own after that. I had a nice quiver of contenders,wish I still had them,I still have one, an 8' that I still fish

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Off-the-shelf Shimano Beastmaster

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
Do you remember buying your first “real” saltwater fishing rod ?

I had saved up paper route money to buy my first really nice boat rod. My friend had gotten his driver’s license and we would travel down the Harbor Freeway to Pierpoint landing. I remember that there was no divider and traveling in the early morning hours we saw a bad accidents with multiple body bags strewn across the median. Anyway, we would fish on a boat called the “Estrella”. So, for that type of fishing, I needed a new fishing rod.

My friend drove me to a tackle shop somewhere around the Paramount/Compton area. I remember that there was a rod rack in the middle of the shop. The rack had a sign on it and the brand new rods in this rack were marked 50% off. I picked one out and the sales guy walked over to me to tell me about the rod. He told me to hold the rod tight, as if I were catching a fish and pull as hard as I can. He said “don’t worry, you’re not going to break this rod”. So I held on tight and he pulled and jerked the rod like a big fish. Well, although this was not the Sila-Flex I was looking for, I was sold. The brand on this rod was marked “CalTaCo” and the 1/2 price and sales technique did the trick on me.

At that time, I was the youngest member of the “Bellflower Sportsman’s Club”. So this rod caught many, many fish, and earned me quite a few club “buttons”....Up until the time my wife slammed it in the car door years later.

Countless fishing rods later, I still remember that one.
I bought my first Truline from you.
I guess I can thank you for this sickness.