125mph

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Can you tell me your top 5 favorite boats for 6-8 day range. I'm looking for at trip next summer. Been on the excel before but they're all booked up, friend recommended royalstar but they are full already too.. Now i'm looking at royal polaris, red roster3, indy or vagabond. Not sure which one is good and which one is okay.

Whats your fav 5 boat and why?

Reactions: locvetter

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Can you tell me your top 5 favorite boats for 6-8 day range. I'm looking for at trip next summer. Been on the excel before but they're all booked up, friend recommended royalstar but they are full already too.. Now i'm looking at royal polaris, red roster3, indy or vagabond. Not sure which one is good and which one is okay.

Whats your fav 5 boat and why?
Shogun or AA...……...

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Tony, you need to go to the phone. Unless their website is not up to date, I see several openings on trips on Excel and others. If you don’t need a “prime time” trip, take a serious look at some the 8 day trips in June. Usually plenty of Yellowtail and who knows what else. But good fun. I used to do the 8 dayers on the Angler, but not this year. Looking forward to that again, or maybe on the Rooster.

So, I guess those are my two favorites.

Reactions: locvetter and RichG

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
My fav is the one my buddy's are on or maybe someone that I would like to fish with or a boat that I admire. There all good

Reactions: locvetter

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
My usual ride is the Vagabond. There’s a lot of pluses going on a bigger boat. I haven’t done the Indy. Of the other two, I choose the Rooster.

There’s quite a number of personal considerations and experiences that determine my favorites. You’ll make your own choice.

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
1. Vagabond
2. RR3
3 Royal Star.

....don't need any more choices. I've not ridden ALL the LR boats, but I don't need to.
the trick is finding a spot on a trip that jibes with your schedule. I know on this upcoming trip on the Vagabond, I put a deposit on next years trip down when I check in for this years trip. If you have the ability to plan a year in advance, it really REALLY gives you a lot more options......

alan760

Dec 7, 2003
Encinitas, CA
Name
Alan
Boat
American Angler
Here is what I recommend. Pick 5 boats, then pick a trip on each boat that fits your needs. Come up with a list of questions to ask the office manager to get a feel for the operation, crew, and prospective trip/charter group. Call each boat office on the phone and chat with the office person. All of us have our own criteria for picking boats and I am guessing after you contact each office, you will come up with your top 3 choices. I would not rule out the Royal Star and consider the American Angler too.

Gabe L.

Passenger
Jun 26, 2012
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Long range
Just got off a super good 7 day trip on the Royal Star,very good experience with the crew and passengers!Felt like being a part of a family.Cant wait to go again soon!

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Just got off a super good 7 day trip on the Royal Star,very good experience with the crew and passengers!Felt like being a part of a family.Cant wait to go again soon!
You are part of the family on the Royal star! Been fighting cancer for a couple years, I've got calls from them while in the hospital, emails, texts, asking if there is anything I need. It means a lot to me! First class operation! Got a 10 day leaving October 31st, and I'm fired up!

carcass

Apr 25, 2009
Cedar City Utah
Name
scott
Boat
None
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those boats. Just pick one that best fits your schedule.

Reactions: FishRock

125mph

Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Thanks all!! I'm trying to a September date, but good to know everyone has good opinions on any of those boats. Will try to find an open slot for a date that works!

Reactions: RichG

Tunacolada

Tony
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Tony
Boat
landlocked
My personal go to is the Red Rooster, it just a matter of personal preference.

Boats Ridden
Royal Star
Vagabond
Independence
Searcher
Red Rooster
American Angler-this fall

Reactions: Bill W

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
All of the boats listed above are top notch. I haven't ridden all of them, but quite a few. If $ is not an issue, I would add one more because these trips are special...the ultra-limited load 6 and 7 day trips on the Searcher. I know the Searcher isn't considered one of the Cadillac LR boats, but it's comfy, and these trips are limited to 14 anglers. Everyone gets their own private stateroom. And 14 people fishing on a 95 ft platform is pretty awesome. I've done a fall trip with them just about every year, for years, always had an excellent experience, and always brought home a bunch of fish (tuna, wahoo, mahi, grouper, etc.).

Just my 2 cents. YMMV
DMcD

Reactions: caballo del mar

SlideRight

Been there...
Jul 4, 2008
So Cal
Name
Lew
Boat
ss minnow
You are part of the family on the Royal star! Been fighting cancer for a couple years, I've got calls from them while in the hospital, emails, texts, asking if there is anything I need. It means a lot to me! First class operation! Got a 10 day leaving October 31st, and I'm fired up!
In same 'C boat' (for last 4 years), but nobody's called me - guess that should tell me sumthumb o_O
Didn't stop me f/a 3 day last year tho. :-)
Recent work under the hood means back in penalty box, but not e-baying anything just yet.
I do also like the Royal Star - a whole bunch! Class act:appl:
Best wishes on a full recovery! :cheers:

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
1. American Angler
2-5 See #1 above

Leave Monday on an 8 day adventure...

rstephens91350

Oct 6, 2007
Saugus
Name
roger
Boat
18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
You should also look at other boat calendars that run that length of trip for charters that fall within your timeline. Often, if a charter master posts a phone #, they may have opening that you can fill. Or just call/e-mail the boat contact to be notified of any open slots on a charter.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
In same 'C boat' (for last 4 years), but nobody's called me - guess that should tell me sumthumb o_O
Didn't stop me f/a 3 day last year tho. :-)
Recent work under the hood means back in penalty box, but not e-baying anything just yet.
I do also like the Royal Star - a whole bunch! Class act:appl:
Best wishes on a full recovery! :cheers:
Thank you, same to you my friend!

Reactions: SlideRight

125mph

Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
Thanks guys! I ended up booking the September 2019 trip with Red Rooster III. They fit my schedule well and I fish with Phenix rods, so thought it was a good match to go on a Phenix sponsored trip :)

Reactions: Olddog8 and Steve K

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Thanks guys! I ended up booking the September 2019 trip with Red Rooster III. They fit my schedule well and I fish with Phenix rods, so thought it was a good match to go on a Phenix sponsored trip :)
Now the waiting begins. Only ~330 days to go!

Reactions: Abusaade

pgangler

12Wt
Jul 25, 2012
Pacific Grove, Calif
Name
Ron
Boat
Was Cabo35, now RR3
1. American Angler
2-5 See #1 above

Leave Monday on an 8 day adventure...
Question for the guys that like the RS and the AA: They're both admittedly great operations, and have loyal fans for lots of good reasons. But do you notice the smaller platform, as opposed to being on the X, Intrepid, RP, Indy, or even the Rooster? I've ridden the Searcher (same size I believe), and really noticed how much smaller the boat is than the RR3. I think that might bug me a little bit on a 8 or 15-day. I have to say that from a pure ride standpoint, the Intrepid is best i've ridden.