Young Boat Owner in need of Help

Aug 11, 2018
Capo Beach
Name
⚓
Boat
Row boat
Hey there,
I’ve been living around Newport almost my whole life but just started fishing I’d say almost a year ago. I’ve done a good amount of fishing in the harbor and on local charters as well as some down in San Diego and to Catalina. With that being said, I still am very inexperienced and only 17 years old. My parents are going to be buying a fishing/all around boat around 20-21’ and I want to use it offshore but I doubt much to Catalina (don’t think I’m super capable of doing that to be honest). I’m also new to the forum but I know some hot spots are some artificial reefs nearby, the pipe, and palos verdes. So my question is how should I go about researching and become experienced enough to handle the boat on my own? What resources should I use online to learn, or would this be something I need connections for in real life and learn from other people in Newport? I’m just trying to get a sense for what the best way is for me to learn how to use the boat, have a good understanding of getting on fish with it, and refraining from being a kook on the water. I know this isn’t as exciting as a fish report so sorry if it’s annoying, but any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!
The 1st boat I ever took to Catalina was a 9' inflatable with a 6hp motor/ it took a while to get there. The dinghy was overloaded with gear that i was sitting on. At one point a coast gard vessel came up on the horizon as a small dot. It zeroed in on me went right past me headed south and proceeded to follow along side of me about 1/2 a mile south till I was near the island. I have a 13' skiff i take out there frequently. Im rebuilding it right now but when im done ill be heading out there if you want to follow me sometime hit me up. Best advice is learn the boat your on well, know what you n your boat can handle n are capable of, get a spot or some emergency signaling device, and your 1st run go with another boat to follow there.
Hey there,
I’ve been living around Newport almost my whole life but just started fishing I’d say almost a year ago. I’ve done a good amount of fishing in the harbor and on local charters as well as some down in San Diego and to Catalina. With that being said, I still am very inexperienced and only 17 years old. My parents are going to be buying a fishing/all around boat around 20-21’ and I want to use it offshore but I doubt much to Catalina (don’t think I’m super capable of doing that to be honest). I’m also new to the forum but I know some hot spots are some artificial reefs nearby, the pipe, and palos verdes. So my question is how should I go about researching and become experienced enough to handle the boat on my own? What resources should I use online to learn, or would this be something I need connections for in real life and learn from other people in Newport? I’m just trying to get a sense for what the best way is for me to learn how to use the boat, have a good understanding of getting on fish with it, and refraining from being a kook on the water. I know this isn’t as exciting as a fish report so sorry if it’s annoying, but any help would be super appreciated. Thanks!
Learn your boat and your capabilities/ what you n your boat can handle. I take my 13' skiff there alot. Next time i go i can letcha know if you want to follow me.
20201116_105527.jpg
Screenshot_20210226-235320.png

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2018
Capo Beach
Name
⚓
Boat
Row boat
Im super thankful for all the info, would of took me way way longer to figure all this out. I've noticed a lot in the responses here that a good idea is to bring along a knowledgeable friend. I do have one friend who's gotten into fishing and is trying to work on some other dude's really worn-down boat, so I might ask stuff from him, but I don't know if I really want to tell him much about the boat or have him work on it with me because I know him pretty well. He's one of those kids who's learned to do almost everything himself at a young age and is willing to cut people off or out of the way if he needs to. Anyways, my point is, is there any way I can make connections with people who have a boat? How would I go about trying to find people who can take me along or show me? Thanks!
hit me up. I spend more time on the water day n night/ mostly night / than probably anyone you can find. I can take you to Catalina on my skiff or you can follow me.

Reactions: niceeeee
Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Hit me up if youd like to jump aboard my sled for a day of fishing and some pointers. Been at it over thirty years and ALWAYS either see or learn something new every trip. your lucky to have parents that give you this opportunity!

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    When teaching a new person how to manage my 20' boat I will take it out to open water and let the student take the helm. While on plane I will throw out a life vest and proclaim " MAN OVERBOARD ". When the student can maneuver the vessel quickly and proficiently into a rescue position, I will then teach docking.
    What happens if He throws you over first?

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    perhaps you might want to wait till your parents buy the boat so you know what type of boat you will be dealing with and the capabilities of the boat...
    haste makes waste ... sounds like you are very excited and yes you should be..
    maybe start studying for your boat operation license and be prepared and take a coast guard safety course. so you understand more of safety and boat handling....

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    US Coast Guard Auxiliary used to offer Basic and Advanced Coastal Navigation classes in Los Alamitos. I am unsure whether they are still offering classes locally.

Knowing where you are and how to get to your destination safely is one of the most important aspects of seamanship.

Reactions: niceeeee
    Upvote 0

jondavies

Jan 30, 2012
    Pasadena
    Name
    jon
    Boat
    Sea Ox
    Lots of good advice here. No substitute for time on the water with an experienced mentor. Trial and error is no fun.

If you do get someone to go with you, make sure they involve you in the planning process, decision making, troubleshooting etc., otherwise they are just using your boat without benefiting you.

As was said previously, learning to understand a weather forecast is essential and you need to know what weather you and your boat can handle. I have a limit of 4' swells and 10mph wind. (Wind really sucks.) Anything more is uncomfortable. You will develop your own level of tolerance based on the kind of boat you have and how much you like being cold and wet ;) Best advice i was given is to "pick your day."

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

niceeeee

Jan 17, 2021
    newport beach
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    grady white fisherman 230
    Wow, I'm legit blown away from all the support. Sorry for taking a while to respond, got busy with some other school stuff and crap this week lol. So, big news.... my dad decided to join a boat club instead, did all the paperwork, and now we have access to this really new Grady White. We've scheduled a sort of "training" session for this upcoming week, meanwhile I'm taking an online boating safety course for my boating card. From there on, I've actually got an experienced contact to go out with me a few times. Things are looking good, but I'll definitely see if I can spend some time on the water with some of the people who offered me to (which I really, really appreciate). Unfortunately part is there are practically no nearby auxiliary classes. I'm gonna search for maybe some more third-party type lessons but until then here's my game plan:

-Finish online course and get boating card
    -Go to first "training session" then go out a few times with my contact
    -Practice around the bay with the boat
    -Watch a bunch of youtube videos (let me know if this is a good idea?)
    -Maybe read part of a book like pacific scout suggested?
    -Anything else you guys think might be good

P.S. since rock fishing has opened back up for the next few months until early summer (maybe spring earliest) I'll be heading to some offshore spots near Huntington, artificial reefs, oil rigs for bass, sculpin, reds, etc. Let me know what you guys think!! Can't explain how happy I am with all the advice.

Upvote 0

niceeeee

Jan 17, 2021
    newport beach
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Highly recommend that you take the basic coast guard classes WITH your dad. Having everyone on the same page helps immensely.
    I don't know if I can find any local Coast Guard classes... should I look for other institutions to provide lessons? I can also get maybe a few training sessions from the boat club but not sure how good that would be. Let me know what you think!

Upvote 0

niceeeee

Jan 17, 2021
    newport beach
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    perhaps you might want to wait till your parents buy the boat so you know what type of boat you will be dealing with and the capabilities of the boat...
    haste makes waste ... sounds like you are very excited and yes you should be..
    maybe start studying for your boat operation license and be prepared and take a coast guard safety course. so you understand more of safety and boat handling....
    Part of a boat club now, so we're gonna be rolling with a 2018 Grady White 236 center console. I'm also taking an online safety boating course for the card. Only problem is i don't have an in person local coast guard safety course near me (Newport). For learning the capabilities of my boat, how should I learn about them? How should I research what types of hardware is good and figure that out? I bet the answer's kinda obvious but an answer would still be appreciated haha. Thanks!

Reactions: Brad Golding
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
    You can also hit me up, I'm 22, I've been in Newport and on boats my whole life, sailing and fishing, so anything you have questions on, shoot me a message. As for Coast Guard classes, I'd recommend Orange Coast College Sailing Center's inshore power boating courses, they're all USCG approved, and they offer both online and in person, its a good place to start.

Upvote 0

Brad Golding

May 23, 2019
    Medford, Oregon
    Name
    Brad Golding
    Boat
    Wellcraft Airslot 24
    Part of a boat club now, so we're gonna be rolling with a 2018 Grady White 236 center console. I'm also taking an online safety boating course for the card. Only problem is i don't have an in person local coast guard safety course near me (Newport). For learning the capabilities of my boat, how should I learn about them? How should I research what types of hardware is good and figure that out? I bet the answer's kinda obvious but an answer would still be appreciated haha. Thanks!

The very best way to learn your boat is to drive it. Just like your car. The more wheel time, the more you learn. And you have fun doing it. The Grady White line is legendary, you'll be spoiled soon.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I don't know if I can find any local Coast Guard classes... should I look for other institutions to provide lessons? I can also get maybe a few training sessions from the boat club but not sure how good that would be. Let me know what you think!

I've taken a few courses here. Not cheap but reasonable prices, and it's in Newport.

Upvote 0