You would not eat the fish if it was caught at .........?

ocsleeper

May 1, 2008
Anaheim
Name
Ricky
Boat
Cobia 220 DC
I know this topic has came up before about whether or not you would eat any fish caught inside the harbor. I've even asked this same question here at BD last year. Now I"m curious to hear opinions of fellow anglers to see if this goes beyond just the harbors. So the question is this.

Assuming you would eat a certain type of fish, is there any location where you would not eat that same fish if they were caught there? So what type of fish would you not eat if it was caught at location X?

Some samples location are:

Would you eat fish if it was caught at the Long Beach Break wall? Is the water around there nasty enough for you to pass on eating say a Calico or Sheephead?

What about oil rigs? Do oil rigs have enough contaminant that would cause you to not eat certain type of fish if it was caught there?

Right after storms at a certain location?

As I'm getting somewhat better at finding fish, I'm trying to determine where I should fish for sport and where I should fish for food.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    I remember one time I was talking to a guy about this, he said he wouldn't eat anything out of the harbor so I asked him if he ever bought spiny lobster locally, he said he did. I then asked how he liked them, he said he loved em. I then quickly pointed out that most of those lobsters typically sit in receivers in the harbor for days before they are sold to fish markets. There are also fish markets that I know of that are close enough to the water to have their lobster tank plumbed to pull water out of the harbor and up into their live tanks.

I would/have consume fish from all of those locations you listed.

As with the long beach break wall and oil rigs, any fish suspended in the water column shouldn't be to impacted, both those areas get good tidal flow. With bottom dwellers, I think I would be more concerned with worms than pollution, same as any other location, just make sure it is cooked.

My own personal belief is that bad water quality after a storm is not enough to substantially degrade the meat of fish. Over the course of that fish's life, a week or two of bad water isn't going to hurt it.

Think about it like this, fish farms have a huge concentration of fish in a small area. With that comes "fish waste" which they are basically confined to for their entire lives. Living and breathing other fish's crap in a confined space, just like chicken/hog farms. Think about that next time you see farm raised XXX on your dinner plate.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Been eating and sharing bugs with family n friends for years now, no one’s ever gotten sick or died but the wife is starting to grow antennas so I’m not sure what’s going on there....

A84FD6DF-F17D-440B-A8D2-AC450D952E09.jpeg

BFA63746-4D60-4298-868B-379CB55B2DA6.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    1) you can tell when the migratory turds move in and they're clean.
    2) fish are not "Filter Feeders" so that changes the score vs mollusks in LBC
    3) at my age, i'm dyin' anyhow so who gives a chyt. whatever pollutants fish have won't kill me as fast as old age issues!

... that is all.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Overall the water is cleaner now than when I was a kid. Been here 61 years eating fish from all the areas you questioned and am still alive. Those areas were maybe 15% of the total fish I've consumed. I would be more concerned about regularly consuming creatures (Halibut and Lobster) that clean the bottom on a regular basis and more so where the water is stagnant.

With that said. If you catch a legal Halibut and you are afraid to eat it, I can take it off your hands. :rofl:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I won't eat the larger Lobster out of San Diego bay.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Whites Point (Palos Verdes) would be one place that is on my no eat list.

Also no fish from LA/LB harbor (or SD for that matter). I do eat bugs but in a limited amount.

I have seen studies done in the inner LA harbor and that sediment in there is UN f'n believably toxic. Sure the worst dumping happened years ago and there is a layer of silt over it but I'm still out.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    BTW - many toxins bio-accumulate so if the toxins are around it works it way up the food chain no matter what species you eat like to eat there will be some of the toxin in it. There is of course a pretty wide range of what species accumulate which toxins with those who live in a toxic area full time and those further up the food chain usually accumulating the most.

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    If you are concerned, follow the state guidelines for inshore species consumption and don't eat the entrails. These recommendations are very conservative.

The rigs don't pollute unless they have a catastrophic failure, they are under a virtual microscope at all times.

Ignorant people will eat tilapia from china that is fed animal waste, biocides for lice, and antibiotics, but shrug at eating fish from our coastline due to "pollution". I think tilapia a just a step above soylent green.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0