You guys love his product, but few know his name.

here'smymule

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
Atomic Worm sure looks like a Salas yoyo4.
Hey Jerry what ever happened to your book. I was ready to help out with the chapter on Diply.

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
Atomic worm you say? How about a pair? Or 3?

We have a ton of vintage iron on display at the Fred Hall show down here in del mar.

View attachment 749348 View attachment 749349 View attachment 749350 View attachment 749351
•••••Ironman's Heaven••••!!!

Go see these guys at Del mar Show, they have every jig I've ever seen and some I haven't. Lots of Whammy's house of jigs, Schnables, Salas, Tady, Hacker, Roddy's Jerry's, Stragger. and some you won't know!! and a squid painted Monster Spoofer, I did the paint 20 yrs ago, it was mine!!:D:jig:

Check their 35 Newells too, going fast.

Reactions: elreytut

MissBreezy

Mar 5, 2017
Sacramento, California
Name
Sabrina
Boat
None
Adam Marx was my manager, he and his dad bought the store in 1984 They were honest and good tenants.
They had their own ways of running the shop. Don't we all? They lasted 18 years. Adam blamed the decline on changing demographics. Perhaps he is right. but the best store i ever saw was Fisherman's Hardware in Long Beach. Just awful area! Guys peeing on the wall of the building were common. The 3 owners were super. I formed a buying group of 4 stores. Together we knocked'em dead. They were a key part of it. Some dealers complained to manufacturers that it wasn't fair !! Ha ha.
I know this is really late, but what happened to Adam Marx? I moved away shortly after he purchased Bunker's in Burbank.

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
Does anybody remember the Straggler Chopper, they had a gold freshwater type of blade that spins on the shaft coming out from the back of the jig. I fished one in green & yellow for bass, the bass bit it pretty well. I'll post up some pics if I can find it.
He was a BIG guy and loved to fish. Fished with him many times. I think, not sure, he was partners with Ray Hacker. They split and the Hacker was born.
and then he copied Hackers' fish tail design?

ironmike

ironmike
Aug 19, 2004
San Diego
Name
Mike
Boat
nope, need to go with you or Cattle Boats
ok, yes The green ones, if we only knew...he changed (dyed) some of them to black, because of the black rod craze happening at the time, with Sabre. Probably the strongest of the Trulines.

Thanks for the info., Jerry, glad you remember. Any other pictures of you and Mr. Collins? Or other Truline pictures? I still have one of the Truline banners, that hung in the Booths at the Truline display at Fred Hall's early shows. I know, many tackle shops had them too, still looking for another.

Mike
Really sad to her this week of Jerry Esten's passing. Such a great friendly guy, great fishing icon, historian and bullshitter...but his mind was strong he remembered many details. Always enjoyed talking fishing with him... I have a couple of "Jerry jigs" still in their packages I got from him, and Jerry's specially made Truline "JX" black blank spinner 7', by John Collins, to remember him.

I'll miss him. I hope BD reprints some of his stories as they did in the "Memories of Santa Monica Bay" reprint this week.

Mike Nichols

Last edited:

BBLDarkStar

I'll fish next to you while you get bit
Aug 13, 2015
Redlands
Name
Randy Champion
Boat
Pamela E.
Man I enjoyed reading through this one. Thanks to all of you that participated in this thread. I love hearing the history of the southern california fishing scene.