offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat Name
Boat Ho
Those of you who live within driving distance of the landings in San Diego need to sit back and rejoice in how fortunate you are. You can just put "everything" in the back of your truck and head out. In order to feed my long range addiction, I have to fly in from my home in Florida. I have an 8-day coming up and the fish reports lately tell me that I need to be prepared for football yellowfin, dorado, yellowtail from 10-40 lbs., maybe grouper, and, of course, bluefin of any imaginable size. I need to carefully select outfits and tackle to be able to transport it.
For my annual 16-day, I do bring more of the bigger/heavier tackle and actually ship it out ahead of time but for this trip, I am trying to minimize. We shall see how that works out. I do have a couple of good friends on the trip who have said "don't worry, we have you covered" but there is nothing like using your own gear.
Two weeks ago, when I started serious packing, I thought that it was relatively easy. It looked like two day of travel, two days fishing the Rocks or the Ridge, two days of travel, two days of fishing bluefin.
Now, I have no clue. But that is what makes it FUN.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat Name
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’m feeling you, broh. Upcoming for me in less than two weeks and I’m still second guessing what to bring, what to leave at home. We’ll figure it out…

Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat Name
none
I would concentrate on bringing gear targeting bigger YT, Wahoo , if BF are on the menu it’s more than likely only going to be 1 day, so 1 80-100lb setup would be on the list, you can use that rig for dropper also. I agree with the you on the local convenience, I drive 10 hours and when I show up, I have the kitchen sink, I always get at least one guy that gives me shit for having so much gear, it’s also likely that I’ll be sharing some of that gear with that someone who left something behind 😆

Reactions: offshore6
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    First Brother..... have you EVER been on a LR trip.... where people didn't have waaaay too much tackle.... for them to use themselves? They brought enough hard jigs for 6 people to fish.... and still had multiples... at the end of the trip? More rods.... with a "back up" here.... and a back up there.... than 3 could fish.... simultaneously? More clothes.... than a 2 week Honeymoon Vacation to Hawaii.... and end up wearing the same 2 sets of shorts for the whole trip?

So.... here's my REAL advice.... those guys are out there everyday. They stock the most commonly used Terminal Tackle.... line... leader....and lures.... on the boat right? Stop worrying... even if you stopped packing today.... you'll be fine.

Friendly anglers..... stocked tackle on board.... Landing right there....IF YOU FORGOT SOMETHING...(lol). Like @Steve K said above.... you'll be fine. Don't let the stress take the fun out of it. Good luck Brother!!

Upvote 0

Toadpole

Toad
    Aug 7, 2017
    Yreka
    Name
    Jim Todd
    Boat Name
    State of Jefferson kayak
    When I lived in San Diego I would watch the fish counts and look for openings mid week. Now I live 730 miles away and have to book way in advance. I generally take longer trips now and fewer. It has its pros and cons. This year it is gas prices that hurt. It’s still worth it to come down and fish and eat real Mexican food. I did a trip last week and I was skunked for the first time in 25 years. That’s fishing. I used to drive from San Diego to here and hunt. Now I can hunt in my backyard. There are still guys that come all the way up here and go home empty handed. I can usually ally find a buck or two if I want pretty easily. It’s a fair trade and it’s all in your perspective. At least living up here I can afford to go on a couple trips a year if I like.

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    18 aquasport breakingwind
    Those of you who live within driving distance of the landings in San Diego need to sit back and rejoice in how fortunate you are. You can just put "everything" in the back of your truck and head out. In order to feed my long range addiction, I have to fly in from my home in Florida. I have an 8-day coming up and the fish reports lately tell me that I need to be prepared for football yellowfin, dorado, yellowtail from 10-40 lbs., maybe grouper, and, of course, bluefin of any imaginable size. I need to carefully select outfits and tackle to be able to transport it.
    For my annual 16-day, I do bring more of the bigger/heavier tackle and actually ship it out ahead of time but for this trip, I am trying to minimize. We shall see how that works out. I do have a couple of good friends on the trip who have said "don't worry, we have you covered" but there is nothing like using your own gear.
    Two weeks ago, when I started serious packing, I thought that it was relatively easy. It looked like two day of travel, two days fishing the Rocks or the Ridge, two days of travel, two days of fishing bluefin.
    yes sir, you are correct! we just complain about the new parking situation!! i have 4 , 2.5 to 3 day trips coming up! kinda nervous, 2 trips leave on friday.! anyway! cant imagine how you guys, out of state, get gear, tackle, etc here!! throw in delayed flights, logistics etc ! yikes, but you guys always seem to figure it out!! I guess il stop whining about parking!! have a wonderful trip!!

Reactions: cozenone
    Upvote 0

Russ Scholl

Apr 1, 2018
    Tuscaloosa
    Name
    Russ Scholl
    Boat Name
    Kayaks
    Good luck Eric.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    I have heard of people, shipping
    there clothes out early, because there light,
    Then just travel with just there gear,
    I had A late friend that I met on A 8 day,
    Years ago ,And he lived in Chicago,
    And after that trip
    He used my house as his Hub,
    At the end of the this month it will be A year that he is gone, Cancer sucks.

Upvote 0

FLLR1

• Jan 30, 2006
    Florida
    Name
    LT
    Boat Name
    Boston Whaler
    Another Florida guy here. I would go on multiple trips a year if I lived close to the landings. Would love to be able to hop on a trip that has a last minute opening (like the Polaris Supreme did for the a trip leaving this morning). Scheduling a trip and then travel to and from along with the rod case and reels makes it harder.

Grew up in Northern California and still have relatives in Southern California. Moved out here 25 or so years ago. There is nothing like the San Diego and the LR boats. We have a couple of boats that do 3-6 day trips out here for bottom fishing trips. Boats are fine, but certainly not like the SD fleet (especially the LR boats).

Reactions: goodkarma
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    When I lived in San Diego I would watch the fish counts and look for openings mid week. Now I live 730 miles away and have to book way in advance. I generally take longer trips now and fewer. It has its pros and cons. This year it is gas prices that hurt. It’s still worth it to come down and fish and eat real Mexican food. I did a trip last week and I was skunked for the first time in 25 years. That’s fishing. I used to drive from San Diego to here and hunt. Now I can hunt in my backyard. There are still guys that come all the way up here and go home empty handed. I can usually ally find a buck or two if I want pretty easily. It’s a fair trade and it’s all in your perspective. At least living up here I can afford to go on a couple trips a year if I like.
    Excellent comment! Sorry that you got skunked, but it happens very frequently when the boat concentrates on Bluefin. That's very, very similar to elk hunting, in my experience. You expend a lot of effort getting into the right area, and see them frequently, but actually being able to take a clean shot at the animal that you have a tag for is far from guaranteed. Boat after boat comes back to the landing with a handful to a dozen tuna total for two or three dozen fishermen. It's Bluefin hunting.

Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    You do not know how lucky you are to live in the state of Florida with low taxes, low gas prices, low housing costs and run by conservatives. 😂

Upvote 0

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
    northwest
    Name
    joe
    Boat Name
    none
    Excellent comment! Sorry that you got skunked, but it happens very frequently when the boat concentrates on Bluefin. That's very, very similar to elk hunting, in my experience. You expend a lot of effort getting into the right area, and see them frequently, but actually being able to take a clean shot at the animal that you have a tag for is far from guaranteed. Boat after boat comes back to the landing with a handful to a dozen tuna total for two or three dozen fishermen. It's Bluefin hunting.
    It’s all about the hunt

Upvote 0

goodkarma

Angler
    Jun 22, 2005
    SD <--> JAX
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    19' Carolina Skiff
    Fishing here in Florida is GREAT. Long Range fishing is a different world. I do both.

I also live in Florida (Jacksonville), and travel back to San Diego a couple times a year for trips on long range boats. I grew up in San Diego, and it's the fishing I grew up with so there's lots of nostalgia for me there, along with sportfishing that's done in unique way and is a unique experience. I still have family/friends locally, so storing gear helps me with some of these hurdles. I store rods, but fly in and out with reels and a tackle box.

I own a boat out here and fishing is GREAT. That being said, the long range is experience is also GREAT, so I will continue to do both as long as I can.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FLLR1 and offshore6
    Upvote 0