Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I've had Boat USA insurance for my boat towing and general boat insurance. I get a bill and renew my insurance as it was made clear that I travel through Mexican waters. Well Boat USA merged with Geico and through the process my Mexico coverage was removed. Good thing a buddy told me to confirm my coverage and I called and asked. This Geico puts you on hold endlessly and is very tough for them to say if I had or do have the coverage or not. Currently waiting for the additional price for the Mexico coverage.

JOHN DOVER

Jul 30, 2014
Bernuda Dunes
Name
Osprey
Boat
48 Egg Harbor Sportfisherman
I have geico and it’s great. E-mailed them on their website to change wording for additional insured. Had it an hour later.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Only an additional $24 for the Mexico coverage. Just glad to be insured.
Two important considerations -- is the liability coverage provided by a carrier recognized by Mexico. In that regard, its like car insurance. Your US policy is probably not recognized, so if you get in an accident and can't provide proof of MEXICAN insurance, its off to the pokey.

The second is navigation limits. Generally, policies won't allow you to travel south of Rio Santo Thomas (a little south of Ensenada) without an additional endorsement. And that can get very tricky during hurricane season.

Upvote 0

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Like you all, I do a little dance with Geico every year to get me covered further south and further out. Cost is negligible. However the cost of finding out I don’t have tow insurance while at the Upper Hidden...

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Not sure on absolutely cheapest, but AAA answers the phone and when you do have an issue, they get after it. This is for a trailer boat not a larger vessel. And they have offices in most neighborhoods.

Their service has always been excellent for us.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
What do you guys pay for your Geico? I called and they quoted me an outrageous price. I'm currently with AAA and their pricing is great, but when I call to add a boat or trailer (which I do quite often) it seems like I always get some one who has no idea how to do watercraft and it gets frustrating

Upvote 0

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC
Just got done dealing with this stuff. Boat US/Geico made it super clear to me that they DO NOT offer liability insurance in Mexico. If you're looking to be covered for liability down south then you need to look elsewhere.

I also asked about getting a tow from Mexican waters. They say that would be out of the service area, but they would pay up to $3000 after you pay the bill and make a claim.

Shit never gets easier.

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
My coverage from Geico has the addendum : cruising limits shown on the declaration page include the territorial and inland waters of ALL of Mexico.

I had this fight with them when I first got the boat 10 years ago and double check the policy every year.

my costs increased 20%

Upvote 0

SavageSon

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    Call Ship to Shore insurance ask for Janine - 949-443-2733 - My boat is 20 yrs old and they insured my boat for the actual cost to replace, was super happy with the coverage and cost, plus I have coverage all the way to Ensenada! I call Geico and they wouldnt insure my boat for the value I wanted without a survey

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    So I just called Boat USA again to confirm I have mexican coverage. NOPE ! I had the mexican coverage with Boat USA but now it's Geico. I called earlier this month and it was supposed to be added but t wasn't. There is documentation that it was approved but never added. I never received an email from them and no bill for the extra coverage. Somehow they are having technical issues adding. They will call me back soon. You better check your coverage if you have Boat USA insurance.

Upvote 0

mochosla

Sep 12, 2007
    Granada Hills CA.
    Name
    Carlos
    Boat
    Parker 2120
    I called Geico yesterday and after a few hold windows, the lady added it to my insurance. They pro-rated it for the reminder of my policy for $1. it will cost me $40 for the year. Very cheap if you ask me. Make sure you get a document like this one.
    82F09048-5C28-48DA-9B1B-3262B8E85749.jpeg

Reactions: Otto
    Upvote 0