Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
I don't know where the criticism of these reels comes from but here's my experience.

When I bought my Cabo I went out and rigged it with Avets to the 9s because I had been fishing in PV and they all had Avets in daily duty and said they were indestructible. I bought 4 SDS 50s as trollers, 2 EX30s, 4 LX, 4 JX, 6 SX and 6 MX all 2 speeds. That was in 2005.

I then put 2500 hours on that boat and those trollers were in use most of the time. I have hauled them to Mexico many times, caught countless 300 class blue marlin on them and big tuna. I fought a grander on one of them for 6 hours before losing it and I caught a 450 blue three weeks ago and lost another one I think was the larger class that ripped 750 yards off on 30# drag in seconds. The drags are still smooth as silk.

In all that time I have never cracked those EX reels. Not once. I think I will after this season because it occurred to me I never have but they are still flawless. All I do after fishing is hose them off and wash them and the rods with soapy water and then chamois them dry. No SaltX. No drama whatsoever. I don't being tools with me to tighten them up because the boat vibration loosens them. That sounds like complete bullshit. 2500 hours plus trips on all kinds of Mexican rattle traps and never had to tighten a single bolt.

The smaller reels have from time to time gotten sticky and when that happens they have been taken in and occcasionally they need bearings but that is for the 20# reels that are being used as go tos all the time here.

I was given an Accurate Boss reel once and I thought it was cool so I put it in service and found it couldn't last 1/2 a season before it needed service. There was a period where it couldn't survive two trips without getting sticky. I ended up selling it which thankfully there are enough people who love them that it is easy enough to do.

These Avets are rhe best reels out there for hard use. They really don't need all the fussing after every trip that is being suggested by guys I think just love taking them apart. I'm sure their reels work a bit better than mine in the shop but I doubt they will catch better.

That's my experience anyway. I don't work for Avet. I've never been to their shop and I don't know any of the people who work there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikelts

Sheriffdad
Oct 26, 2005
Brookings, OR
www.mike-luther.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Intrepid, Top Gun 80, Independence
I own 11 Avet reels and haven't had an issue with any of them in the 6 years I've owned most of them. I took my HX Raptors, 50 SDS, and 30/ 2 in for service for the first time last month in preparation for a 13 day trip next month. They were working fine, but I wanted a little piece of mind when I started pulling on the "big ones" I hope to encounter. I've been fishing for 60 years, and owned almost every product out there. For ease of maintenance, reliability, size, price point, and performance, Avet is my choice for reels.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
The only issue I have had, is corrosion in the lug recess area. I simply remove the left sideplate, remove the screws holding the lug and grease the surfaces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishdude and lgd
Upvote 0

The Chad

Jun 18, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Name
Chad
Boat
SOLD
I have all Avet Raptors and love them. Not 1 issue with them. I think sometimes the Accurate fan boys just say silly stuff about other reels. I was on a trip with an Accurate rep and had a long conversation comparing the two reels and in the end the discussion concluded with both reels having pros and cons and it becoming a preference like Ford verses Dodge. I'll keep my Avets.

Reactions: terryc. and lgd
Upvote 0

titos334

VIP Elite Member
Aug 19, 2012
Hell
Name
Kevin
Boat
Rainbow Surprise
I think sometimes the Accurate fan boys just say silly stuff about other reels.

This is true of every reel manufacturer. Fishermen rely extremely heavily on personal experience and treat anecdotal evidence as gold. Pretty much everything good/bad is used as confirmation bias by someone.

Reactions: lgd
Upvote 0

lgd

Aug 5, 2015
San pedro
Name
Baywatch 19
Boat
35' Seaway
I am with all your guys, no complaints or problems, 1st one I bought was an MX, in 2008 went to chark bait to buy a 20# Reel, and the salesman talked me into it (was planning to get another newell). prior to this I had fished only the old Penn reels I had been fishing with for the last 50 years. That day changed everything, and brought me out of the dark ages!

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
On the Water
Name
Buck
Boat
sunk
I have everything from SX to 80W and am more then satisfied. Now that they have the 3spd. technology they are in a class by themselves when it comes to fighting big fish.

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Great reels! My only complaint is that parts have become very difficult to get if you live outside SoCal.
    At least they still make the parts and still service the reels unlike accurate who just walks away from making parts for their reels to try and force you into buying a new one,sold every one i owned and will never look back.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    The only issue I have had, is corrosion in the lug recess area. I simply remove the left sideplate, take off the lug and grease all the surfaces. While I had the lug out, I put it on a bench grinder, turned it into a plug! It's an EX30W and I use the rail, left hand on top of the reel. A little more involved separating the frame from the right sideplate but not a big deal.

edit: Had some time, rainy day. Couple of pics of the 30W with the lug ground down glush

View attachment 630787

View attachment 630788

I have issues with purple reels.

Upvote 0

mitchman

Feb 19, 2007
    cape cod
    Name
    Mitchell Buck
    Boat
    none
    At least they still make the parts and still service the reels unlike accurate who just walks away from making parts for their reels to try and force you into buying a new one,sold every one i owned and will never look back.

The thing is it didn't used to be like this and all reels break so eventually this is going to catch up with them. I could care less about Accurate since it doesn't justify this.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    I don't know where the criticism of these reels comes from but here's my experience.

When I bought my Cabo I went out and rigged it with Avets to the 9s because I had been fishing in PV and they all had Avets in daily duty and said they were indestructible. I bought 4 SDS 50s as trollers, 2 EX30s, 4 LX, 4 JX, 6 SX and 6 MX all 2 speeds. That was in 2005.

I then put 2500 hours on that boat and those trollers were in use most of the time. I have hauled them to Mexico many times, caught countless 300 class blue marlin on them and big tuna. I fought a grander on one of them for 6 hours before losing it and I caught a 450 blue three weeks ago and lost another one I think was the larger class that ripped 750 yards off on 30# drag in seconds. The drags are still smooth as silk.

In all that time I have never cracked those EX reels. Not once. I think I will after this season because it occurred to me I never have but they are still flawless. All I do after fishing is hose them off and wash them and the rods with soapy water and then chamois them dry. No SaltX. No drama whatsoever. I don't being tools with me to tighten them up because the boat vibration loosens them. That sounds like complete bullshit. 2500 hours plus trips on all kinds of Mexican rattle traps and never had to tighten a single bolt.

The smaller reels have from time to time gotten sticky and when that happens they have been taken in and occcasionally they need bearings but that is for the 20# reels that are being used as go tos all the time here.

I was given an Accurate Boss reel once and I thought it was cool so I put it in service and found it couldn't last 1/2 a season before it needed service. There was a period where it couldn't survive two trips without getting sticky. I ended up selling it which thankfully there are enough people who love them that it is easy enough to do.

These Avets are rhe best reels out there for hard use. They really don't need all the fussing after every trip that is being suggested by guys I think just love taking them apart. I'm sure their reels work a bit better than mine in the shop but I doubt they will catch better.

That's my experience anyway. I don't work for Avet. I've never been to their shop and I don't know any of the people who work there.
    backlashing son of a bitches the ones i had,sold for penn star drags,torques and fathoms .

Upvote 0

skipjackrobert

Apr 2, 2013
    The OC
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
    The only issue I have had, is corrosion in the lug recess area. I simply remove the left sideplate, take off the lug and grease all the surfaces. While I had the lug out, I put it on a bench grinder, turned it into a plug! It's an EX30W and I use the rail, left hand on top of the reel. A little more involved separating the frame from the right sideplate but not a big deal.

edit: Had some time, rainy day. Couple of pics of the 30W with the lug ground down glush

View attachment 630787

View attachment 630788
    That color is gay!

Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    I have a bunch of Avets and a few Accurates, have caught lots of fish with both brands up to 184lb YFT on Avet and 142lb on Accurate. Both brands are awesome and work great. Avet is a "looser" feeling reel and casts a little better, Accurate is heavier and just "feels" powerful when on a fish. I also have a sprinkling of Penn, Okuma, Shimano, and Daiwa reels. They All work great and each has pluses and minuses. My largest fish was caught on a 25 year old Penn 50SW that performed flawlessly, new isn't always better.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Avets aren't friendly to the uneducated thumb,that's for sure.

Upvote 0