Yo-yo Rod Recommendations for Yellowtail at Coronado Islands

Brown Thunder

• Jun 19, 2020
    Santa Monica, CA
    Name
    Raul Martinez
    Boat Name
    Grande
    In anticipation of targeting yellowtail at the Coronado Islands in March/April next year, I'd like to put together a yo-yo setup. I already have a Fathom 40NLD2, and I'd like to hear what rods would pair well with it for a yo-yo setup.

I have an old 7' Sabre graphite rod, rated 40-80 lbs., that I was thinking of using. I also have a Calstar GG6480, rated 30-60, paired with a Fathom 25NLD2 for live bait/surface iron work. I'd like to have a dedicated yo-yo setup and am wondering if there are any particular advantages to getting a newer rod that may have specific features/characteristics that are going to make a significant difference. If I do buy a new rod, I'd like it to be able to handle double duty for 60-80 lb work (e.g., Calstar 770xh).

Thank you for any suggestions you may have on how to set up what I already have or what you recommend I get to fill this hole in my quiver.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat Name
    Leo's
    In anticipation of targeting yellowtail at the Coronado Islands in March/April next year, I'd like to put together a yo-yo setup. I already have a Fathom 40NLD2, and I'd like to hear what rods would pair well with it for a yo-yo setup.

I have an old 7' Sabre graphite rod, rated 40-80 lbs., that I was thinking of using. I also have a Calstar GG6480, rated 30-60, paired with a Fathom 25NLD2 for live bait/surface iron work. I'd like to have a dedicated yo-yo setup and am wondering if there are any particular advantages to getting a newer rod that may have specific features/characteristics that are going to make a significant difference. If I do buy a new rod, I'd like it to be able to handle double duty for 60-80 lb work (e.g., Calstar 770xh).

Thank you for any suggestions you may have on how to set up what I already have or what you recommend I get to fill this hole in my quiver.
    Seems like that Sabre would work well for a yo-yo stick. The 770XH is a beast of a rod and way overkill for anything at the Coronados. A 700XH would be a better choice. Try that Sabre and see how it feels--get a few fish under your belt on it and it will help you narrow down what you really want/need.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Brown Thunder

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat Name
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    Seems like that Sabre would work well for a yo-yo stick. The 770XH is a beast of a rod and way overkill for anything at the Coronados. A 700HX would be a better choice. Try that Sabre and see how it feels--get a few fish under your belt on it and it will help you narrow down what you really want/need.
    I agree with TOTW, I think that Sabre should fit the bill. Your other set up with the fathom 25nld2 with your calstar GG6480 is also a great Coronado island yt yo-yo set up. If you really have the itch to buy another rod and like Calstars you should check out a 700h.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat Name
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    An excellent stick for Yo-Yo that also does 60#/stealthy 80# fly line or sinker Rig is the 8'0" UC GP Terminator. Also a very good Wahoo Bomb stick. Love mine!

Here is a pic of my GP Terminator lifting 25# of lead to give you a sense of the power curve:

PXL_20210817_180659273.jpg

Last edited:

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco
    I’ve got my fathom 40nld on a seeker ssr 7660 rated 50-60#. You’d absolutely smoke Coronado yellowtail with that set up, which isnt always a bad thing if you’re fishing the party boats (like me). Plus you’d be able to use that set up to fish for Bluefin up to about 150#. If it felt overkill at the islands, you could always drop a yoyo with your 6480 and the 25nld and be fine.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats

I use A Calstar GF .700 M ,for one of my YO YO setups,
    with A Tac 12 ,and A DPX Accurate 500, with A Calstar GF , 700 H,
    to have two different Color Jigs rigged up .

Upvote 0

Depresfish

Electric Fly Hunter
  • Apr 16, 2018
    San Clemente
    Name
    Dylan
    Boat Name
    none
    I've had good success with my 7'3 Phenix Axis XH. Rated 30-80 but will fish 40 or heavy 30 well. Spongey feel to the composite blend feels like it absorbs head shakes well, high hook up to land with 40lb mono

Upvote 0

Lake

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat Name
    none
    I think that 40 NLD is too much reel for the Coronados. The 25 would be fine. I use a Saltiga 35 or Tesoro 10 there and they are more than up to the task. You're usually fishing less than 200 feet there. For rods, I like to put a bend in them so something rated 25 or 30 to 60 would be good.

Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat Name
    Royal Star

8 foot UC raptor checks off all the boxes, killer yellowtail yoyo rod, and so much more. Great 60-80 # bait stick for Guadalupe or local bluefin, it's my favorite rod for throwing wahoo jigs by far. Covers a lot of ground in a anglers arsenal. I've fished reels from a Mak 16 to a HXJ raptor and a Torque 40 on it depending on the situation. Definitely one of my favorite sticks. Mine was wrapped at Bob sands.

Upvote 0

Rude Baits

Almost A Member
    Mar 22, 2012
    SD
    Name
    Tony
    Boat Name
    -
    Some good advice above. 40 is a little overkill. 30 or 25N mo better. I perfer the 25N. 7' or shorter for the rod. 30-60 seems to be the sweet spot. I like Calstars and Batsons.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
    Feb 19, 2007
    los angeles
    Name
    jay
    Boat Name
    Not yet
    Fathom 40nld2 is a beast

Match it to. 76 predator

It will do yellowtail and tuna for flat fall.

That pic above of the 8ft terminator looks good too. I don’t have that rod though.

2Rotten
    2Rotten
    I like my Predator/Fathom 40nld2 combo a lot, great 50/60 rig. Very nice feel. Not as powerful as the 8'0" GP Terminator, but an excellent rig.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Latest posts