DonCanley

Dec 23, 2020
Dana Point, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
Hello All-

New to the forums and relatively new to the hobby/addiction...I recently joined some friends on a few of the 1/2 day and 3/4 day trips out of SoCal, and am now looking to put together my own setup. I’ve acquired a Daiwa x-20sha reel that came with a 6’ Daiwa Sealine Graphite Custom SGC-22HF (20-50lb), but several of the guides are broken and I’m trying to figure out what’s the better bet...finding someone to replace the guides or finding a more suitable rod for my needs... I do not own or know anyone with a boat yet, so for the time being I’m mainly looking at bottom fishing from the cattle boats, although I’m interested in yo yo jigging, as well (i know my reel is not ideal for this, though...)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Upvote 0

klong60

Shoyu Slayers
Jun 27, 2020
Palos Verdes, California
Name
Koa
Boat
PhishFat
Hey Don, Welcome to Bloodydecks! tons of members here to help with your search.

For my .02$ I like a Seeker 270H-8 for my 1/2 day trips and I bring along my Calstar 6480 rod for any yoyo usage. Reel wise, your 20sha is perfect for something like the 270 and will be a staple in your inshore use.

again, WELCOME!

Reactions: mcrae and Anders1
Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
normally guide replacement costs about 20 dollars per guide. If you are replacing 5 or 6 you are over the 100 dollar mark San Diego Tackle Traders sells used and new fishing gear They just had a garage sale last weekend. They have plenty of good used top quality rods in that price range. You can keep the older rod and replace the guides or maybe upgrade your rod to match your reel for the same money. https://www.facebook.com/sandiegotackletraders/ you can also look on face book or craigslist as the season is over and people are dumping their gear waiting on the fred hall show

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    See what cost is to fix.
    Then post WTB add on BD for compatible rod.
    I am sure you will be able to get a good rod at a good price here.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    none
    Welcome! The suggestion to check out Tackle Traders is a good one. They have a great selection and are always happy to get you something in your price range. Your reel is good, I have one as well.

Upvote 0

Latest posts