Sunset Beach
www.oexsunsetbeach.com
Name
Andrew Allen
Boat
Kayaks, all kinds.
DSC_01661.JPG

DSC_01781.JPG

Adi offered to take me and Brent out on their (Brad and Adi's) boat in search of pelagics. We met around 5ish at the marina and loaded up the kayaks, gear and 100 pounds of "optimistic" ice. Adi had fueled up already so all we had to do was hit up the bait barge. We anticipated a 1/2 hour wait with the way fishing has been, but loaded up with 2 scoops of 4-5 inch dines pretty quickly. Out of Mission Bay we headed south west in search of paddies, porpoise or diving terns. We passed some boats stopped on paddies and kept looking for our own fish. Dropping in the kayaks we HAD to find our own fish, we did not want to ruin anyone else s fishing.

DSC_0126_2_.JPG

DSC_01831.JPG

We were a few miles east of the 302. Brent spotted a huge spot of birds about a mile south of us and we ran up and tossed out a couple baits and baited up. Hook up took all of 1 minute. After that one was in the boat we dropped the kayaks in. Before Adi and I had unstrapped the second yak, Brent was BENDO heading off. With one of us on the boat tossing out occasional dines to keep the fish under us, we picked away until we had our Mexican limits of YFT. We motored north and found the better grade under the porpoise about 4 miles outside the 9 mile bank. We chased em around and put a few more of the 20-25 pounders on the boat. cleaned and bagged em all outside Mission Bay and landed around 6 PM. Super fun day doing something none of us had done before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alex morataya

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 14, 2007
Burbank
Name
Alex
Boat
none
those are some very nice pictures!!!
loving the actions pic too! that's bad ass my friend!

thanks for sharing!
Alex.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Fun! Did you see any hammer heads? That would freak me out having a 9 foot hammer swimming around my kayak.

Upvote 0

slief

Registered Lurker
Jun 8, 2007
Whitefish, Montana
Name
Scott
Boat
14’ Crestliner Sportsman
Haha!!! That's my old boat!!! The Pussy Cat!!! Glad Adi and Brad are putting her to great use and apparently even using the yak racks!! Way to go Adi and Brad!! I miss her but I rest well knowing you guys are keeping her bloody and racking up the miles!

Thanks for posting!!

That's definitely a new technique - well done.

Must be a good sized boat to handle two yaks onboard.

She's a beast. Glacier Bay 2680. It's a 26' Pilot House Cat with a pair of Yak racks on the roof on either side of the radar tower.. It rides like a 30'+ boat. It's a displacement hull so it eats up the slop like nobodies business. It's the boat in my avatar.

Upvote 0

reelfishy

Hates Sea Lions
May 19, 2005
San Diego
Name
Todd
Boat
Ocean Kayak P15
How do you like the Native kayak? Saw them at Fred Hall and they looked killer. Wondering how the propeller drive compares to Hobie's propulsion system.

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
very cool. :)

Upvote 0