Yet another wooden box, a bit smaller this time, with adjustable height, and one hand access.

Dexter Outdoors

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    I leave in three days for a 7 day on the RP, so I built another box.
    Frome above.JPG
    Front without legs.JPG
    IMG_7659 2.JPG

Top Drawer.JPG

I wanted something smaller than the box that made an 18 day with me. Lessons learned - most importantly needed to be smaller, and, since it is the RP, no likely will not get a shelf spot, needs to have removable legs, so these old bones can get to it.

The legs are something I have not seen:
    Stainless feet.JPG

I welded tapped and threaded discs to the bottom of the rocket launchers. The stainless feet can be removed, and replaced with:

3:3 16 studs in leg caps.JPG
    legs.JPG
    leg on foot.JPG
    On legs.JPG

While there are several things I do not like about this new box, I do like the Mahogany with Koa trim. Here are the raw materials:

Original Sapele.JPG

Koa and sapele.JPG

Here is the sapele mahogany after rewash and before thicknessing:
    Resawn befor thicknessing.JPG

I should not have allowed the width of the sapele billet dictate the height of the box. This made the drawers too shallow, top to bottom. They are 3 1/4". Need 3 3/4 or 4.

After thicknessing to 5/16, strengthened with 6 oz fiberglass, and just to be different used blue pigment in the laminating resin: (This is the back wall before glue-up)
    back wall.JPG

Shaped the various koa stiles:
    Back corner.JPG
    IMG_7597.JPG

The main glue-up was 19 pieces. Probably a mistake to try that:
    \
    19 piece glueup.JPG

So everything accessible with one hand. Nice workspace on top. Adjustable height.

I'd do several things quite differently. We will see how it functions starting next week at Alijos.

At least the top came out OK. I do like koa and abalone inlay.

Top.JPG

Original Sapele.JPG

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Very nice Loc, I can't think of a better way to spend our off water time then to be combining art with function. Thanks for sharing and have a great trip!

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Beautiful shop and nice woodwork! But, how are you going to keep it from tipping over with those leg extensions?!? And, if you DO get a rack spot, the cup holder and tool extensions enlarge the footprint considerably...
    That is why the tool and cup holders are removable. If I get a shelf spot, I won't put them on.

On the stability: I worry about that. That is exactly why the legs are at the extreme corners of the box, on the ends of the rocket launchers bolted to stiles, that are routed to a contoured 2" radius matching the tubes, using stainless threaded inserts.

Also, I made it deeper - 16" front to back- so it will take quite a roll for the center of gravity to shift over the edges of the footprint.

Open to ideas on how to tie it down. There is just nowhere to tie onto, like there is, for instance, on the Intrepid. I am bringing a heavy bag of weights, and may tie down to that, for what it is worth.

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Just received a great idea on a PM. I am going to fabricate aluminum feet --- like duck feet, attached to the cane tips on the bottom of the legs.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Yessss, take up more room and now create a tripping hazard. Smart.

We are talking 10g aluminum sheet, so no tripping hazard. Maybe a 3" disc. this box has a smaller footprint than an SKB.

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
    Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Lund LX200 LFC
    That is why the tool and cup holders are removable. If I get a shelf spot, I won't put them on.

On the stability: I worry about that. That is exactly why the legs are at the extreme corners of the box, on the ends of the rocket launchers bolted to stiles, that are routed to a contoured 2" radius matching the tubes, using stainless threaded inserts.

Also, I made it deeper - 16" front to back- so it will take quite a roll for the center of gravity to shift over the edges of the footprint.

Open to ideas on how to tie it down. There is just nowhere to tie onto, like there is, for instance, on the Intrepid. I am bringing a heavy bag of weights, and may tie down to that, for what it is worth.

Smart to make them removable...

On my wooden box, I through-bolted the carry handles on each side so they're much stronger. I use a pair of load straps (from Home Depot), shortened to ~4' long or so, run through the handles and around the tackle rack base to hold it down. Really helps when my launchers are filled with heavy setups and the seas are up - my box is anchored very solidly. Not sure how you might secure your box off of the rack - unless you can anchor it to some vertical structure?

I love woodworking too! Looks like you have a really nice setup. Good luck on your trip! The RP is a great platform...

Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Made these just now:

So how many toes does a duck have, anyway. Had some .10 aluminum and some right sized 316L stainless washers and some 1" flat head 1/4-20 bolts. this will add good stability. Hope it doesn't slide. - gotta get some rubber bumpers for the bottom of the duck feet.

It is white because I didn't take off the plastic protective stuff.

IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7690.JPG

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    Great looking woodwork as usual, Loc! The primary concern I would have with any box on long legs is the aforementioned tipping hazard. I recommend you use it only if you can tie it to the side of a rack or something. The potential for damage to you and others is very high. Especially if it has rods w/reels on it. I have seen many avoidable injuries and damage caused by tackleboxes tipping over or people tripping/knocking over tackle boxes. I have also seen some great freestanding metal tackle box stands with angled legs that lower the chance of tipping. Better safe than sorry... Food for thought.

Enjoy your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    Great looking woodwork as usual, Loc! The primary concern I would have with any box on long legs is the aforementioned tipping hazard. I recommend you use it only if you can tie it to the side of a rack or something. The potential for damage to you and others is very high. Especially if it has rods w/reels on it. I have seen many avoidable injuries and damage caused by tackleboxes tipping over or people tripping/knocking over tackle boxes. I have also seen some great freestanding metal tackle box stands with angled legs that lower the chance of tipping. Better safe than sorry... Food for thought.

Enjoy your trip!

- Jeff Burroughs

After staring at the box in my room at the Vagabond the night before departure I came to my senses. I got Chris, the lead redshirt, to cut the legs in two. With the shortened stance and the duck feet and dimensions a bit deeper than an SKB, the box moved NOT AT ALL. Some of the time the sea was the kind you'd like to sleep through, but did not dare for fear falling out of your bunk -- this box did not think much of it.

It did not seem in the way at all, taking the space of a couple of buckets. Eddie Felarco, one of the best decks ever, put it where he thought it should go, so not in crew's way either. This was the spot I had in mind when building.

Box on RP 12-14-20.JPG
    at bench.JPG

I did love the convenience of 6 rods and my key hooks, lines, weights, leaders right there. And, it does free up rod space and shelf space for others on the launchers - which I did not use at all.

Anyway -0- VERY stable and not in the way.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    While i admire your work i gotta say i hate fucking peoe that dont use the racks on the boat instead of this crap...you want one to hold the rod you are rigging..ok but the rods shouldnt be on the box

Reactions: NoLDR
    Upvote 0

locvetter

• Mar 24, 2015
    Name
    Loc Vetter
    Boat
    Loc Vetter Casting
    While i admire your work i gotta say i hate fucking peoe that dont use the racks on the boat instead of this crap...you want one to hold the rod you are rigging..ok but the rods shouldnt be on the box
    Sorry you feel so strongly about something that you resort to f-bomb and "hate" someone for it. You do not explain the why you feel so strongly about this kind of box and launchers. At least some on this trip appreciated the spots freed up on the RP aft rack by mine being used. A couple of fellow anglers used some of my launchers during the trip, appreciating their convenience.
    Not to worry: Preferring to not be subjected to your shameful language, you will now be ignored.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Sorry you feel so strongly about something that you resort to f-bomb and "hate" someone for it. You do not explain the why you feel so strongly about this kind of box and launchers. At least some on this trip appreciated the spots freed up on the RP aft rack by mine being used. A couple of fellow anglers used some of my launchers during the trip, appreciating their convenience.
    Not to worry: Preferring to not be subjected to your shameful language, you will now be ignored.
    Oh grow a pair you fn democrat

• Angry
    Reactions: ripped
    Upvote 0

Latest posts